behind the fun tour

Rockjock64

They take you behind the scenes, to the crew / operational areas of the ship. Galley, bridge, engine room, etc. In essence, you see the other half of the ship. Long tour, not cheap, but if you've never seen the "working" side of a ship it is probably money well spent.

You can also book it at Guest Services.

You need to wear closed-toe shoes, be over 16 and be able to climb up and down ladders. Some of the staircases should really be classified as ladders, they are (seemingly) that steep.

Leave the camera inthe cabin, you will not be able to bring it.

$55 for smaller ships and $95 for the larger ones.

You will get some gimmees- Photo, lanyard etc.

You can also book it at Guest Services.

You need to wear closed-toe shoes, be over 16 and be able to climb up and down ladders. Some of the staircases should really be classified as ladders, they are (seemingly) that steep.

Leave the camera inthe cabin, you will not be able to bring it.

$55 for smaller ships and $95 for the larger ones.

You will get some gimmees- Photo, lanyard etc.

The chef might also send goodies to your room...he did when we took the tour on our first cruise. We came back to the room and found a plate of cookies and chocolate covered strawberries on our counter/dresser. :D And I don't think you necessarily need to be over 16...our son was 9 at the time and he was able to go with us.

Not every ship offers it and the only way to book is on board. It is well worth it in my opinion and when I did it on the Triumph (when it was sailing out of NOLA) they did two groups of 16.

Things you never think of are absolutely amazing. Like how they manage to keep fresh linens in 1800 or so cabins every day.

We did it on the Valor but will never do it again, at least not on Carnival.

It is great to go on the bridge and the back areas, but they don't allow any pictures to be taken; no cameras, no phones.

Royal Caribbean allows you to take as many pictures as you want, but no videos.

On Carnival, they take a group picture with everyone at the bow of the ship and again on the bridge with the captain. And every person on the tour gets a copy.

But guess what, it is cropped to show only the people. So when you look at the picture it is a bunch of strangers standing with you, with no context of where the picture was taken and no background, nothing to indicate the bow of the ship or the bridge. You might be standing in a barn for that matter and not on a ship.

We thought this was a great tour. On the Pride it was about 4 hours and we learned many things about ship life. I would recommond it for anyone who can do the walking.

We had a group picture in the Galley with the Chef, a group picture on the Bridge with the Captain and another on the Bridge with you or in our case my husband and I with the Captain. No problem telling where we were when the pictures were taken.

Edited by penguin85

We did it on the Valor but will never do it again, at least not on Carnival.

It is great to go on the bridge and the back areas, but they don't allow any pictures to be taken; no cameras, no phones.

Royal Caribbean allows you to take as many pictures as you want, but no videos.

On Carnival, they take a group picture with everyone at the bow of the ship and again on the bridge with the captain. And every person on the tour gets a copy.

But guess what, it is cropped to show only the people. So when you look at the picture it is a bunch of strangers standing with you, with no context of where the picture was taken and no background, nothing to indicate the bow of the ship or the bridge. You might be standing in a barn for that matter and not on a ship.

I think that it's obvious where this picture was taken.....

FN370.jpg

We did the Behind the Fun tour on Dream in January. For a ship nerd like me it was fantastic to see the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. There is no better view than from the bridge! The Captain on Dream was very funny! He had an aquarium with fish on the bridge. He said that was their emergency alert system, as long as the fish were still in the water all was ok! We had a great time!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app