Just back from Emerald 12th July 2014

AJ28

I travelled with my husband and daughter to Southampton and the traffic was (as usual) very busy. I had heard that embarkation could be long and protracted but actually we went through the booking in and security stages very quickly; very impressed. Our mini-suite was lovely, with two tvs and an enormous couch. Our steward welcomed us and brought us a glass of champagne and very quickly our suitcases arrived too. I stayed in the room to have a bath (oh how I loved having a room with a bath for the first time; I had brought with me what seemed like the entire stock from Lush so I could bathe in luxury every day) whilst the others went to the buffet. Later, we did the muster drill, our cards being scanned to keep a record of everyone present; a good idea. There was a sail-away party on deck from 4pm but we preferred to relax on the balcony with a glass of wine (Princess allow passengers a bottle of wine/champagne each to use in the cabin). Mini-suite cabins on Dolphin deck are completely exposed no overhang at all. This meant that star gazing every evening was fabulous. I used a large umbrella for shade (if necessary) during the day.

We had registered for anytime dining and we like to share a table with other passengers. After a couple of days the lady at reception recognised us and would confirm that we would like to share (I was impressed by this because she must see hundreds of passengers every evening). It is a great way to meet new people and make new friends. We didn’t have to wait for a table ever. And went straight in. The food generally was very good and I have no complaints at all about it. I was pleased that to mostly came piping hot too.

I spent the majority of my time by the Calypso Pool because I like the MUTS (watched several films and concerts, plus a couple of football games). I always found a place to sit in the shade, sometimes even a sunbed was available! The pools on Princess are freshwater and at a comfortable temperature so I swam every day. Towels were always available and, if not, I would ask a pool steward who would get me some straight away.

I didn’t use the (Horizon Court) buffet (deck 15) much at all, I don’t do breakfast and order coffee and tea using room service each morning (doubles as an alarm clock). For lunch I usually got a hotdog or burger from the Trident Grill or a piece of pizza from Prego Pizzaria, both very tasty. Next to the pizza place is Scoops, ice cream is available there. I did walk through the buffet sometime and it seemed to be well stocked with a variety of foods. At the back of the ship on deck 15 is Caribe Cafe and this opens out onto another pool area with a lovely view of the wake. I came here once for coffee and it was very relaxing to sit watching the wake. On deck 5 is the International Cafe which I had a look at, has some wonderful-looking food but I didn’t try any (prefer to eat on deck).

On the last two days we decided to try the formal lunch (only on sea days I think) and it was super. I recommend it; again, we shared a large table with other passengers. On the last sea day we also did the formal afternoon tea. Mmmm, warmed scones with jam and cream; just delicious. I asked for my usual Earl Grey tea and got my own pot, but didn’t want the sandwiches or cakes offered (I had of course recently had a formal lunch!)

Entertainment-wise, there was a full schedule and we enjoyed going to the Explorers most evenings to see Kelvin the CD host quizzes. Daft fun and hugely entertaining. There would also be a show in the Explorers that we tried to attend plus the Princess Theatre shows nightly. It made for busy evenings. We had a variety of acts, several comedians; Berni Flint, Gary Thompson, Jeff Stevenson, Taffy Spenser, the marvellous Steve Larkins as a Freddy Mercury tribute singer; hypnotist David Knight (who also did an interesting talk about hypnotism later in the cruise), a couple of pianist/comedy entertainers; Darren Bethel and Maria King, plus other entertainment I can’t remember. I attended and enjoyed all the production shows in the Princess Theatre, particularly the Disco one and What a Swell Party. Films were also shown here during the day. If you can, go along to the Meet the Cast Backstage Tour on the final sea day, really interesting and we had a good chat to the dancers and singers. Also, make sure you go to the Culinary Demo on the last day in the Princess Theatre; a galley walk-through follows. I sat on the front row so I could get all the lovely aromas.

I had a look at the Sanctuary area ($20 for half a day $40 for full day); very comfortable looking double and single sunbeds in sun, partial shade or full shade. Didn’t have time to try it out but spoke to a table companion who did. She said the beds were sooooo comfortable and relaxing and she was served snacks and afternoon tea too. Just below the Sanctuary is the adult only pool. I tried it on the last sea day and it is a nice pool. It has a wave machine so that you can swim against the wave. There are two Jacuzzis. Inside is the gym and Spa area. The toilets also contain a steam room and a sauna.

On the first sea day we all signed up for the Murder Mystery event that would cover the whole cruise. We had no idea what was going to happen but it turned into a bit of extra fun. It was hugely enjoyable and I would love to do it again.

We stopped at Barcelona, Ajaccio, Civitaveccia, Livorno, Genoa, Monte Carlo and Gibraltar. We did our own tours at each place, having been to them all before.

Because we are Platinum passengers (Princess takes all our P&O cruises into account as well as Princess ones) we got to wait at Club Fusion with tea/coffee/juice and pastries. It was just as well because we were delayed by about an hour getting off. Platinum passengers also each get 250 minutes internet (14 day cruise). This is handy if you want to keep in touch with family or do research.

I am sure I’ve forgotten so much more to tell you, but sadly that is all I can remember just now. Just to finish by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and it won’t be my last with Princess.

Great review, thank you for posting, I hope to read more about life on board as we are travelling on her next month to the Baltic.

Did the quizzes have a North American slant? On Carnival last year we got a bit fed up of Ice Hockey, Basketball and American Football questions and so avoided them

Tom I felt that the quizzes had a more British feel, perhaps because Emerald was going from Southampton and the majority of passengers were British. We did have a contingent from USA, Canada and Australia too but all together they were in the minority.

Grace, I've never posted Patters but I do have them all (dog-eared and scrawled all over lol).

Thank you for your review. It's very reassuring to read such a positive experience on the Emerald.

We cruise on this ship for the first time this October and I'm beginning to feel quite excited.

You state you've sailed P&O, likewise we have too, so will benefit from the Captains Circle club.

Great review. May I ask what the Murder Mystery was, or should it remain a mystery for future cruisers?

It takes place throughout the cruise. We signed up at the library and were each given a sheet of rules to follow plus we had our photo taken. We were told that in a couple of days we would receive an envelope containing details of our victim (a picture) and the method of killing them (four ways), and rules about safe zones where we could not kill them. It was up to us to identify our victim over the cruise and effectively 'kill' them, preferably before another passenger found and killed us. The winner (serial killer) was the passenger with the most kills. On our cruise it was a lady with four successful kills.

On the last sea day we all met to hear who had made the most kills. We heard many funny tales about the lengths people went to nail their victim; seeing them on shore and stalking them back on to the ship to kill them after embarkation; lurking outside their stateroom until they came out (a long wait); sitting with them in the dining room one night and pouncing once they left (you cannot kill your victim in the dining room). The thing is, you may never see your victim at all (I didn't) so when you DO spy them, you don't want to lose the opportunity to kill them.

Thanks for the review! We are considering the Emerald for a Christmas cruise this year. Would you mind answering some questions about the ship?

1. Did the ship seem crowded? (We've been on two previous Princess cruises, but they were on the Island (Panamex) and the Pacific (tiny) so we're not used to such a large ship as the Emerald.)

2. Did they have the fish-and-chips lunch on one or more days?

3. Unlike you, we aren't fond of MUTS. Could you hear the sound at the Neptune Pool?

4. Is the Lotus Spa pool available for anyone or just those who pay for the Sanctuary?

5. Were there lounges on the Promenade?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Edited by GradUT

Hi GradUT

1. This ship was full, about 3,400 passengers apparently but did not seem to crowded to me.

2. Yes, we went for the fish and chips on the first sea day at the Wheelhouse Bar (it was a special British Pub Lunch thing, don't know if they did it again on the cruise though). Look out for a mention in the Patter or ask a member of staff.

3. I never sat by the Neptune but, walking past to get a hotdog I would hear music sometimes. There was a stage over the bar where a band would play at lunchtimes.

4. The Spa pool, adults only, is available to everyone. It is peaceful, no music playing. Additionally, there is a door to the Spa where you can use the loo. In the ladies loo (and I presume the mens) is also a sauna and a steam room.

5. There were wooden padded recliners on the promenade.

Hope this helps :).

Tom I felt that the quizzes had a more British feel, perhaps because Emerald was going from Southampton and the majority of passengers were British. We did have a contingent from USA, Canada and Australia too but all together they were in the minority.

Grace, I've never posted Patters but I do have them all (dog-eared and scrawled all over lol).

Wow, if you could display the Patters, that would be brilliant. We're now getting ready to head over the pond and bring that little ship back to Texas. Tally Ho, Y'all :roll eyes:

If you get them scanned and could send to us, my email is john@shifferds.com and we would be really grateful if you would send to me.

We are going a week early to search out our British roots, so wish me luck driving on the left side of the road.