Just ret'd Avalon Creativity Paris/Normandy 22/29 July

TravelingLadyOhio

We have just returned from a wonderful week aboard the Avalon Creativity. Avalon, I know you read these boards and I just want to say thanks to the crew/staff for making it a very memorable vacation. We had a room on the 2nd floor with a French balcony. We were triple docked in Vernon and double docked in Paris. We spent most of the time onboard, on the Sky deck. Had a grill out lunch one day - so fun. With only 135 people onboard, we met many well travelled people, from so many different countries. The food/drinks were very good. This is our 2nd cruise with Avalon.

Our day at Normandy is one I will never forget. We visited the landing beaches, had a quick preset lunch at a local rest., then to the American cemetery for a presentation, playing of our National anthem, then taps and a moment of silence to honor those on board who are Veterans, and those that died. (insert tears here). Then we were all given a rose to lay on a grave of our choosing. It was a day I will never forget. Our tour guide was Barbara and she was so good and brought to life what it was like for those men on 6Jun1944.

We took the 'city of light night tour' and it was magical to see the Eiffel Tower lit up, and every hour the lights twinkle for 5 minutes. Also, we did the tour to the Louvre, and the Moulin Rogue - oh-la-la!!!

It was a great week and I have no complaints at all.

Hi "TravelingLadyOhio" -

Since you mentioned us in your post, we couldn't help but respond with a big and genuine "THANK YOU." We're so happy you chose to experience France with us for your second Avalon cruise!!

We look forward to welcoming you aboard another Avalon cruise in the future (fingers crossed).

Best wishes to you.

Glad that you had a wonderful time too.

We were on this cruise as part of our Grand France cruise, we arrived back in Paris on the 15th July.

Ours was a similar experience to yours, we loved our 3rd Avalon ship, the food, tours, tour guides and our CD Jerome (our paperwork said we were having Yvette) were all great. We were double docked at a couple towns and in Paris on our return, we didn't get to have a sky deck grill on this portion of our cruise as the weather wasn't that good. we'd had such beautiful weather in the south and then days of drizzly rain in the north, when we got back to Paris the weather changed again and was glorious.

We did the Taste of the Normandy day tour, not the Normandy Beaches and thoroughly enjoyed. We also did the City of Light tour and Moulin Rouge in Paris, which we loved.

Plus in the south we did the Monte Carlo dinner & night tour and Pont du Gard optional tours.

Like you we had no complaints at all. We would definitely go with Avalon again if we have the opportunity.

Deb

Glad that you had a wonderful time too.

We were on this cruise as part of our Grand France cruise, we arrived back in Paris on the 15th July.

Ours was a similar experience to yours, we loved our 3rd Avalon ship, the food, tours, tour guides and our CD Jerome (our paperwork said we were having Yvette) were all great. We were double docked at a couple towns and in Paris on our return, we didn't get to have a sky deck grill on this portion of our cruise as the weather wasn't that good. we'd had such beautiful weather in the south and then days of drizzly rain in the north, when we got back to Paris the weather changed again and was glorious.

We did the Taste of the Normandy day tour, not the Normandy Beaches and thoroughly enjoyed. We also did the City of Light tour and Moulin Rouge in Paris, which we loved.

Plus in the south we did the Monte Carlo dinner & night tour and Pont du Gard optional tours.

Like you we had no complaints at all. We would definitely go with Avalon again if we have the opportunity.

Deb

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the cruise. We're booked on this trip in October 2015 and my DW is looking forward to the Taste of Normandy tour (we've done the Normandy beaches several years ago with Viking). Specifically, what did you find most interesting on the Taste of Normandy and especially your thoughts on the Bayeux Tapestry would be welcome.

Thanks

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the cruise. We're booked on this trip in October 2015 and my DW is looking forward to the Taste of Normandy tour (we've done the Normandy beaches several years ago with Viking). Specifically, what did you find most interesting on the Taste of Normandy and especially your thoughts on the Bayeux Tapestry would be welcome.

Thanks

The Bayeux Tapestry is amazing, well worth seeing, the audio guides are ok, but once they start you cant stop them. You can always go back and start again if you miss anything as the audio guide resets at the start of the display. Bayeux is a nice little town to wander around as well.

We went to a great little place for lunch, there was a 3 course lunch of local dishes with cider and water, only problem was that about an hour or so later we went to a Calvados place for tastings plus were given a large piece of apple pie each, it was delicious, if we had known we probably wouldnt have had all the courses at lunch. We had the light options at dinner that night! :)

The Bayeux Tapestry is amazing, well worth seeing, the audio guides are ok, but once they start you cant stop them. You can always go back and start again if you miss anything as the audio guide resets at the start of the display. Bayeux is a nice little town to wander around as well.

We went to a great little place for lunch, there was a 3 course lunch of local dishes with cider and water, only problem was that about an hour or so later we went to a Calvados place for tastings plus were given a large piece of apple pie each, it was delicious, if we had known we probably wouldnt have had all the courses at lunch. We had the light options at dinner that night! :)

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to cruising the Seine again. Anything with Paris has got to be great & we're delighted to hear how many folks have enjoyed Avalon cruises.

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to cruising the Seine again. Anything with Paris has got to be great & we're delighted to hear how many folks have enjoyed Avalon cruises.

Just read what I had written about the local lunch, it was actually a 4 course lunch. It was in a very pretty little town, well it was pretty on a lovely sunny day :)

I love Paris!

Thank you for your input and review!

We are doing this trip next May thru Viking (did Viking last year) BUT are getting very nervous about all the unrest in the world. There have been reports about unrest in Paris.

Did you feel uncomfortable or concerned at all during your visit to Paris?

We are so looking forward to the trip but concerned about current events.

Thank you.

During our time in Paris we were always were aware of our surroundings. Pickpockets are a problem (especially around the Eiffel Tower area) and our tour director warned us every time we left the boat/bus to remember to keep purses closed and zipped. I had a small purse that I wore over shoulder/across chest and when it was cool, had a jacket on over it. Never had anything with me I could not afford to lose.

Safe - yes I felt safe, but we were not out on our own at night - always with a group.

During our time in Paris we were always were aware of our surroundings. Pickpockets are a problem (especially around the Eiffel Tower area) and our tour director warned us every time we left the boat/bus to remember to keep purses closed and zipped. I had a small purse that I wore over shoulder/across chest and when it was cool, had a jacket on over it. Never had anything with me I could not afford to lose.

Safe - yes I felt safe, but we were not out on our own at night - always with a group.

Our concern is the terroristic threats in Paris- thankfully the plot to bomb the Eiffel Tower and Louvre was stopped. Also there was a big demonstration against Israel my Humas supporters. Did you see any demonstrations or aware of any of this?

Thank you for taking time to respond! I am so looking forward to our trip and hope political unrest doesn't interfere with our plans.

Edited by dcruisers

No, we did not see any demonstrations at all. Yes, we were aware of what was happning in the world, but it did not stop us from seeing/doing what was on the original itinerary.

That's great! One couple who was planning on going on this trip with us is very uncomfortable and hesitating booking the trip. This info will, hopefully, seal the deal for them.

That's great! One couple who was planning on going on this trip with us is very uncomfortable and hesitating booking the trip. This info will, hopefully, seal the deal for them.

You can never predict what will happen, but perhaps your friends should look into "cancel for any reason" insurance.