Celebrity

TucsonRick

On the home page of CC is a photo showing the aft of the Celebrity Reflection. Does the odd shape above the waterline have a purpose? You don't see it on very many ships.

Rick

oops, I hit enter before I finished the title of my post.

Edited by TucsonRick

Ships other than Celebrity have this feature. P & O Oriana and some RCL ships.

Rick

I believe that Royal Caribbean added sponsons (ducktails) beginning in 2012 to the cruiseline's Vision class. This increases the ships stability (#1 reason for it) and fuel efficiency- RCI has said that this stern flap design provides a 2% increase in overall propulsion efficiency. Ducktails have also been added to other ships besides Celebrity, such as Oriana that you mentioned, and the Disney Magic last year during drydock, and with an uproar in '09 for the HAL Veendam's new look! I think Cunard has ducktails too. ;)

We assume you are talking about something often known as the "bulbous bow" that is found on most large modern ships including cruise ships, freighters, tankers, etc. Rather then trying to explain the design we think Wikipedia does a great job:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

This hull design is on nearly every cruise ship, but you normally do not notice it because it is often under the water line.

Hank

We assume you are talking about something often known as the "bulbous bow" that is found on most large modern ships including cruise ships, freighters, tankers, etc. Rather then trying to explain the design we think Wikipedia does a great job:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

This hull design is on nearly every cruise ship, but you normally do not notice it because it is often under the water line.

Hank

The OP is referring to the aft, where older ships (such as RCI's Vision of the Seas) have had 'ducktails', or sponsons added, mainly to improve stability. To illustrate a ducktail, here is a photo of Celebrity's Equinox:

DSC02842_zpsd47cd870.jpg