On-Board Account Question

NewUserRR

I booked a Carnival cruise this winter for my wife and I. It will be the first cruise for both of us. I understand that tips are automatically added to your on-board account, which has to be paid by the end of the cruise, is that correct? Are there other expenses added to your on-board account which aren't typically paid "up front?" Just want to be sure we know the "real cost" and plan accordingly. I do plan to keep the automatic tipping in place. Thanks for any help in clarifying the expenses which are added automatically in addition to the "up-front" cost. I'm excited!

Make sure you budget for any of your onboard expenses - drinks, excursions, souvenirs, pictures. Those will be charged to your account via your sign and sail card. They are not automatic like gratuities, but they can add up if you aren't careful.

Your credit card isn't CHARGED until the end of the cruise...that includes any purchases you make. So, at the end of the cruise, the cruiseline gets paid...even though you may not get your credit card bill until the next month! Just to clarify!

We usually go to the pursers desk and get a print out half way through the trip of our onboard account, or at least prior to the last day. More than once we've had charges that weren't correct.

Carnival also has Kiosks to check your balance.

Gratuities are added automatically unless you want to pre-pay them before the cruise.

Everything else is your choice: you can buy alchohol, go to specialy restaurants, buy souvenirs, tours, use computers...

Just wanted to mention that while most people tie accounts to credit cards, you usually do have the option to set up a "debit" type system and preload your card with cash. Usually you can do this at the pier at check-in or guest services.

If you're using a credit card, I think most lines still use the system of placing a preset hold on your available credit right at the beginning. The amount is dependent on the length of your cruise. Something to consider if applicable.