Stuff to do in Halifax

We are going to be in Halifax on 25 October off the Maasdam. We arrive at 8:00 am and depart at 4:00 pm (wish HAL would spend a bit more on fuel so that we did not have short port times) so we have a total of 7 hours maximum in Halifax.

I am trying to figure out what to do it Halifax. We have done Peggy's Landing and Lunenburg on previous visits to Halifax. We have done the harbor museums. We have done the Citadel. What else is there in or near town that we visit. I am running out of ideas.

DON

We are going to be in Halifax on 25 October off the Maasdam. We arrive at 8:00 am and depart at 4:00 pm (wish HAL would spend a bit more on fuel so that we did not have short port times) so we have a total of 7 hours maximum in Halifax.

I am trying to figure out what to do it Halifax. We have done Peggy's Landing and Lunenburg on previous visits to Halifax. We have done the harbor museums. We have done the Citadel. What else is there in or near town that we visit. I am running out of ideas.

DON

You might look into Grand Pre which is another UNESCO site, 45 minutes from Halifax.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

You might look into Grand Pre which is another UNESCO site, 45 minutes from Halifax.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

Been there to. Also, their site implies that the place is basically closed on the day we are there. Getting desperate. Hate to stay on the ship. Might have to just pick some interesting neighborhoods and walk around.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

How far is this place from cruise terminal? We have done segways before but not in Halifax.

Mary

The address shown on the map on their website, 1521 Lower Water Street, is a little misleading because they are actually located on the boardwalk next to the harbor to the EAST of that address. You can either walk on Lower Water Street and cut over to the harbor or take the harbor walk. Their office, like that of the nearby bike shop and the nearby kayak shop, is located in a shipping container.

It should take you about 12 - 15 minutes to walk there from the cruise ship.

The address shown on the map on their website, 1521 Lower Water Street, is a little misleading because they are actually located on the boardwalk next to the harbor to the EAST of that address. You can either walk on Lower Water Street and cut over to the harbor or take the harbor walk. Their office, like that of the nearby bike shop and the nearby kayak shop, is located in a shipping container.

It should take you about 12 - 15 minutes to walk there from the cruise ship.

Thanks so much, great information & just what I needed.

If you have seen most of Halifax and the south shore, consider Dartmouth and the Eastern Shore or the Annapolis Valley.

A ferry ride to the woodside terminal would get you to John's Lunch, which is regularly voted #1 for fish and chips and their clams and chips are awesome. A 15 min bus ride would then take you to Fisherman's cove, which has a boardwalk loop around the marsh and edge of the harbour (also small shops painted up to look like fishing shacks, but not sure how much will still be open in October). There is a good seafood restaurant there with nice views (Johns Lunch is a hole in the wall).

If you rent a car, head out the Eastern shore and go for a walk on one of the many long gorgeous beaches (Martinique is my fav) or head up the Valley to Blomidon or even up to Digby. There should still be lots of good colour to make the drive pretty and you can go fast on highway 101 or drop down to the old #1 highway yo go through all the towns - Wolfville is really pretty.

Down the South Shore Ross Farm would be open. Lots of demonstrations of old time life, wagon rides, etc. Nice way to spend some time either in a loop from the Valley or up from the South Shore. http://rossfarm.novascotia.ca/what-see-do

You can order a copy of the Nova Scotia Doers and Dreamers guide for all sorts of day trip ideas http://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/order-travel-guide

If you have seen most of Halifax and the south shore, consider Dartmouth and the Eastern Shore or the Annapolis Valley.

A ferry ride to the woodside terminal would get you to John's Lunch, which is regularly voted #1 for fish and chips and their clams and chips are awesome. A 15 min bus ride would then take you to Fisherman's cove, which has a boardwalk loop around the marsh and edge of the harbour (also small shops painted up to look like fishing shacks, but not sure how much will still be open in October). There is a good seafood restaurant there with nice views (Johns Lunch is a hole in the wall).

If you rent a car, head out the Eastern shore and go for a walk on one of the many long gorgeous beaches (Martinique is my fav) or head up the Valley to Blomidon or even up to Digby. There should still be lots of good colour to make the drive pretty and you can go fast on highway 101 or drop down to the old #1 highway yo go through all the towns - Wolfville is really pretty.

Down the South Shore Ross Farm would be open. Lots of demonstrations of old time life, wagon rides, etc. Nice way to spend some time either in a loop from the Valley or up from the South Shore. http://rossfarm.novascotia.ca/what-see-do

You can order a copy of the Nova Scotia Doers and Dreamers guide for all sorts of day trip ideas http://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/order-travel-guide

I live in Dartmouth and would not waste my time in Fishermans Cove. Not much to the shops anymore . Vandals have made a mess as well. Warf Wraps is a good place to eat though. Would not go to Boondocks . It is constantly changing hands and has not been good in a long time

I live in Dartmouth and would not waste my time in Fishermans Cove. Not much to the shops anymore . Vandals have made a mess as well. Warf Wraps is a good place to eat though. Would not go to Boondocks . It is constantly changing hands and has not been good in a long time

Oh No! We planned on going to Fishermans Cove. We have seen the Citadel, downtown area, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, & Mahone Bay. Any suggestions for areas we have not been to?

Fisherman's Cove is a purpose built tourist trap (in my opinion). There is none of the dramatic beauty of Peggy's Cove.

pizzalady, there are lots of ideas above. Go to www.novascotia.com and do some research.

Also check out this article; http://halifaxbloggers.ca/thelocaltraveler/2014/05/10-day-trips-within-two-hours-of-halifax/

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1555466-i14120-k7482481-I_need_something_NEW_to_do_in_Halifax_Can_you_help-Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Sco.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Fellow Haliagonian here.

I did see someone else suggest it, if you have done the Peggy's Cove and South Shore, you should try the Annapolis Valley.

This might be a bit ambitious as Wolfville is a good 75mins drive from downtown, but the Valley has some nice scenery and not to mention some awesome Wineries. Gaspereau and Benjamin Bridge are two of my favourite.