Documents question regarding passport/birth certificate

theriac

So I'm planning on booking a cruise that stops in Key West, San Jaun, and St Thomas. My question is do you still need to travel with your birth certificate and or passport being that all these ports are part of the US?

I know I can call carnival but the PVP hasnt helped and the CSR keeps putting me on hold. Just curious if any of you have had this experience?

So I'm planning on booking a cruise that stops in Key West, San Jaun, and St Thomas. My question is do you still need to travel with your birth certificate and or passport being that all these ports are part of the US?

I know I can call carnival but the PVP hasnt helped and the CSR keeps putting me on hold. Just curious if any of you have had this experience?

I'm not sure of your question. If you mean do you still need these documents to check in for your cruise, the answer is yes.....

Birth certificate (certified not the hospital copy) along with your drivers license or some type of photo ID......OR.......a valid passport.

Wouldn't this cruise violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act unless the ship was US-flagged?

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

You would need documentation (passport or BC/Photo ID) even though the ports are all US ports - the reasoning behind this (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that even though the PORTS are U.S., the SHIP itself is registered to another country. This is how a purser explained it to me, when I worked as a check-in agent and had to tell passengers that their photo ID alone wasn't sufficient. I won't even go into how many people thought the ship wasn't leaving the US (it was a Bahamas cruise year round).

Basically, the moment you set foot on the ship is like stepping onto another country's soil, UNLESS that ship happens to be registered to the United States (such as NCLs Pride of America).

Wouldn't this cruise violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act unless the ship was US-flagged?

It sure would, and the only American flagged ship is in Hawaii, so the OP must have his itinerary mixed up:confused:

It is a complicated issue with Puerto Rico and the 'Jones Act'. I do not know all the ramifications but it is the stop there that allows this itinerary. there are all sorts of exemptions and exceptions that govern their citizenship and their independence.

I do not think the Pride of America is US flagged any longer. I thought they changed that because of the ridiculous cost of maintaining it. :confused:

I do not think the Pride of America is US flagged any longer. I thought they changed that because of the ridiculous cost of maintaining it. :confused:

The Pride of America is still US-flagged, it's the Pride of Hawaii and Pride of Aloha that were switched over (to the Jade and Sky, respectively).

Not necessarily. Could be the cruise begins (and ends) in, say Miami, with stops in those ports. Totalally OK with PVSA.

If the cruise begins, say in San Juan and ends in Miami (or other US port), still OK, as any cruises to/from Puerto Rico are waived for having to comply with the PVSA:

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

Edited by Shmoo here

sorry forgot about haiti on the intinerary, so looks like I need to bring my passport, I was just curious because if I didnt have to travel with those documents I'd love to just leave em in the safety deposit box.

sorry forgot about haiti on the intinerary, so looks like I need to bring my passport, I was just curious because if I didnt have to travel with those documents I'd love to just leave em in the safety deposit box.

And that completes the PSVA of visiting a foreign port...

You can still use birth certificate and driver license even though you visit a foreign port. However, should you have to fly home from a foreign port, the birth certificate and drivers license does you no good. If you have a passport, just bring it.

Why do you need your passport?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

...should you have to fly home from a foreign port, the birth certificate and drivers license does you no good. If you have a passport, just bring it.

Very good point that many don't seem to be aware of. DLs (and passport cards) are good only for sea or land border crossings. If you have to fly home from a foreign port due to a medical or family emergency, a regular passport is required (even from Mexico and Canada).

Edited by Ryndam2002

And that completes the PSVA of visiting a foreign port...

Not that it's relevant to this thread but Haiti doesn't qualify as a "far foreign port", as do none of the Caribbean islands except for "ABC" (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao).

I will add my 2 cents. I just booked my cruise on the Carnival Freedom - Nassua, St Thomas, Antigua, Puerto Rico. The cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale. I have a passport but my gf and her kids do not. They told me that no one needs a passport since we are leaving and coming back to the same US port as long as we are US citizens. They only need a picture ID (state id or drivers license) and a "raised seal" birth certificate. The 18 year old and 16 year old need that. We are getting a state ID for the 14 year old. They did tell us that a school ID would work for the youngest. We called Carnival twice and spoke with different people and we got the same answer. My suggestion is that you call them directly, write the persons name down that you spoke with and the details of the conversation.

Good Luck with your trip!

Very good point that many don't seem to be aware of. DLs (and passport cards) are good only for sea or land border crossings. If you have to fly home from a foreign port due to a medical or family emergency, a regular passport is required (even from Mexico and Canada).

There are provisions in the DHS regulations that allow the State Department to waive the passport requirements in cases of unforeseen emergencies or for humanitarian reasons, so a passport may not be required depending on the circumstances. In any event if someone travels without a passport they would need to obtain the assistance of the Consulate and wait for some type of paperwork to be issued. The vast majority of people that leave on a cruise ship end up coming back on the same ship.

Not that it's relevant to this thread but Haiti doesn't qualify as a "far foreign port", as do none of the Caribbean islands except for "ABC" (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao).

For closed loop cruises it just needs to be a foreign port.

I will add my 2 cents. I just booked my cruise on the Carnival Freedom - Nassua, St Thomas, Antigua, Puerto Rico. The cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale. I have a passport but my gf and her kids do not. They told me that no one needs a passport since we are leaving and coming back to the same US port as long as we are US citizens. They only need a picture ID (state id or drivers license) and a "raised seal" birth certificate. The 18 year old and 16 year old need that. We are getting a state ID for the 14 year old. They did tell us that a school ID would work for the youngest. We called Carnival twice and spoke with different people and we got the same answer. My suggestion is that you call them directly, write the persons name down that you spoke with and the details of the conversation.

Good Luck with your trip!

If someone at Carnival told you that the 14 year old needs a photo ID then they misunderstand the regulations. The regulations only require photo ID's for those 16 and older.

I have a similar question.. Do I need to bring my social security card for any reason? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only need your SS card for benefits and a new job. Otherwise keep it safe, in the bank or home. Not in your wallet.