Transatlantic crossings in May and Jan.

Jeffrey1950

Hi there:

Am considering doing a crossing from New York in either May or Jan. of next year. Of course no one can predict exactly how the weather would be at any one time but just a general idea would be good. How is the weather usually in May? Can one sit out on deck at this time of the year? And in Jan. how is the weather normally...obviously, not expecting to sit out side at this time of the year.

One last question. What is the best way to book one way air travel for this trip?

Edited by Jeffrey1950

I crossed on the QE this year in January. There was a storm and we went much further south than the normal TA route to miss the worst of it. We had about three days that were rough. Temperatures were cool but not really cold until we got to New York City (that was the coldest day of the 118 day World Voyage).

We've only done the crossing once, two years ago, and we left NY in late May. I therefore can't speak about January, but think May would be a better bet. Weather was very good except for a few days with a little light rain part of the day, and we could be outside almost every day. It was cool but not cold. However, the wind did make it feel colder than the actual temperature, so there were some days when few people sat out in the deck chairs but there were still a lot of walkers.

On that trip for our one way air we used Icelandic to fly back, as they and Aer Lingus were the only ones offering actual one-way fares. This time we are flying east and taking the QM west. We booked one way through Cunard for a very reasonable fare--Boston to Amsterdam and then NY to Boston on our return. The fare on for those 2 legs was less than half of a Delta round trip flight to Amsterdam at that same time, so we think it's a really good deal.

I crossed on the QE this year in January. There was a storm and we went much further south than the normal TA route to miss the worst of it. We had about three days that were rough. Temperatures were cool but not really cold until we got to New York City (that was the coldest day of the 118 day World Voyage).

Scrapnana is being very kind - there were magnificent days (well hours) of sunshine on that leg of the WC. We were out on the balcony sipping G and T's on several occasions and there were times when we walked around the ship in superb sunshine - I do have the photos to prove it!! As the OP says - who knows what will happen across the Atlantic - the Cap'n (Pugwash that is ) is currently on the TA to Southampton and I reckon his days have had less sunshine than we had in January.

I did a B2B TA in January a couple of years ago, QM2 east, QE west. They were both remarkably smooth crossings, only one rough day, on QM2. But someone had earlier posted a video of a really rough crossing in December.

On QE I was in a guarantee cabin, "upgraded" to a balcony. The one I was in, at least, was really drafty.

Jeffrey, on the North Atlantic Ocean the overall weather in May would be warmer than in January. Certainly you could use the decks more easily. I've crossed eastbound in May and had rain and rough seas across. I've crossed in May and thought I was on a pond. The same goes for January, usually westbound, although the days are much colder. On the Elizabeth this year it was rough, decks closed half the crossing. But a rough winter ride is what lots go on for, the ship being the destination. Transatlantics, any ship, either direction, whichever is running when you want to go, are great fun. You might consider going in January … and if you fall in love with ships you can then go again in May!

Re air travel for your trip, I have found it best to book the voyage and "Cunard Air" or whatever they call it, together, booking ship and air one-way through a travel agent or with Cunard via their 800 number. The air cost is competitive and usually lower than you doing it yourself. Booking voyage and air together, all your paperwork is done and you need only show up to enjoy your adventure.

Am considering doing a crossing from New York in either May or Jan. of next year. Of course no one can predict exactly how the weather would be at any one time but just a general idea would be good.... And in Jan. how is the weather normally...obviously, not expecting to sit out side at this time of the year.

Jeffrey ~

Rather than bore you with an account of the January 2014 crossing (So'ton to NYC) of the Queen Elizabeth, I'll share a few videos that should give you an idea of the sort of seas we encountered on the North Atlantic. Enjoy!;)

We were on the QM2 crossing in December 2012 from Southampton to NYC. This ship is a liner and came into it's own during that storm. Yes, there was some movement, and a few folks became ill, but for the most part it wasn't at all bad. Staying mid ship and lower decks made for much less movement, but even then 90 + mph wind and 35 + foot seas sounds much more dramatic than it actually was. Only the QM2 would ride so smoothly in those conditions. If you want more drama spring for the Grills (high and forward and aft) -- much like riding the mechanical bull in a rough Texas bar. I suggest the low and mid ship cabins for much less -- in both money and wild ride. In short, unless you are VERY susceptible to sea sickness don't worry at all about a winter crossing on the QM2.

You might want to give consideration to flu season. A winter crossing from Southampton to NY, where the weather might necessitate that the decks are off limits due to safety reasons for days at a time, means that thousands of passengers and crew members will be in close proximity.

Just to mention that while I haven't taken a transatlantic Crossing, I have boarded QM2 in NY several times after the ship completed a winter crossing. My suggestion is that if you want to book a winter crossing, please talk to your physician about getting the influenza/ pneumonia vaccine weeks prior to embarking. -S.

I was on the 15th December '12 QM2 WB crossing described above by pmb1 and old fool. The storm of the night of 18-19th was quite something :eek: ;) :) .

My cabin (Deck 5 midships) was very stable, hardly any movement. However, in the morning I noted that water had forced its way past the balcony door-seals and the carpet near the glass door was soaked.

Next morning in the shops, much of the stock was on the floor:

QM2 The morning after a storm

Indeed, when the shops re-opened, china and fragile objects had been moved from high stands and were neatly arranged on the floor!

More photos are here:

Happy memories :) :) :)

Edited by pepperrn

I've crossed in May in a near hurricane, however, I think May is a better option normally if you want to avoid rough weather.

I've done winter crossings and they were always rough, and usually extremely rough. I don't mind that as long as I have good seasickness meds. I have some that work well without drowsinesss, and so I quite enjoy the winter crossings.

I crossed in November once and it was a smooth ride nearly the whole way. It really gets rocky by December.

Edited by Leucothea