Wheelchair cost?

spearmint

Hi folks.

A good friend of mine was on Holland America (Baltic Cruise) recently and found that her leg swelled. She wanted the use of a wheelchair for a day. The company charged her $340 for a week's use; they would not provide one for just a day. Is this a common occurrence (a) to charge for the chair and (b) force one to rent for much more than required?

This is the reason I am asking. My wife and I were on two Celebrity cruises when we needed a wheelchair for the entire cruise, and on one other when we needed on for a couple of days. In all cases, we used one of Celebrity's and were not charged one red cent. We were able to keep the chairs with us throughout the cruises.

I have suggested that she contact her travel agent to see if anything can be done, but then I thought I would ask here on the boards about this situation...........where all is known! :)

Bill

If your friend purchased travel insurance, they should be able to turn the receipt in and see if they can get reimbursed. I am not sure if the ships have wheelchairs for passengers to use the entire time. I do know they have a few for passengers who get hurt and would need one.

what company? onboard chairs are not meant for exclusive use of one passenger, they are for emergencies only( fall while on board type stuff) and tend to be in crappy shape anyway. otherwise they are used solely to aid pax in getting on and off the ship at the home port

going through any private company they will charge you the cost of renting for the entire length of the cruise as you cannot just drop it off after one day.

A good friend of mine was on Holland America (Baltic Cruise) recently and found that her leg swelled. She wanted the use of a wheelchair for a day. The company charged her $340 for a week's use; they would not provide one for just a day. Is this a common occurrence

(a) to charge for the chair

Possibly on Holland. Not generally so on Celebrity. You'll have to ask the Holland America board how it is handled on that line

and (b) force one to rent for much more than required?

On Celebrity, if you are injured or need a wheelchair for a short time, they will loan you one. The wheelchairs that are given out in emergency situations are not rented, they are borrowed for the short time needed. The rental chairs are arranged for the duration of the cruise. You go through Special Needs to make those arrangements. .