Port of Miami Tunnel Now Open

Mr305

Tunnel should improve traffic downtown quite a bit, so I don't blame them. As for going to the port, it will save you time as well, no longer have to be stuck in that downtown traffic. Plan to give the tunnel a try this weekend, see how much quicker I can make it to/from the port. The question now is, does this overload the port with traffic? If so, how much of that traffic backs into the tunnel?

...Looking forward to your "Tunnel Report." We come south down 95, east on 395 a bit and then have to deal with the downtown traffic around the American Airlines Arena. But, that's not as bad as getting off the ship and having to return to I-95. It's going to be nice to return home by going through the tunnel, to 395 and then jump on 95 North.

Would love to hear any reports on the tunnel, as we will be heading to the Port of Miami on Saturday morning.... :)

some basic tunnel info

There is NO TOLL

It’s Free FOR ALL

The Speed limit is 35 mph

• Cruisers LEFT LANE, Truckers RIGHT LANE

• Pedestrians and Bicycles are Prohibited from the tunnel

• Placarded Hazardous Materials are Prohibited

• Maximum Height 15’0” Maximum Width 8’6”

• Maintain a safe distance between vehicles

• Obey lane control signals and messages

• Stay out of the blind spot of other vehicles; be especially careful around cargo trucks

• Tune into a popular FM radio station to hear safety instructions in case of an incident

What to do in the event of an accident or breakdown:

Minor Accident, no Injuries (Florida law states that you must make every reasonable effort to move a disabled vehicle or have it moved so as not to obstruct the regular flow of traffic, as long as the vehicle is driveable and there are no injuries)- Click Here for Move it – Yes you can Brochure

• Switch on your warning lights

• Move your vehicles to a safe location completely out of the tunnel

• Exchange driver, vehicle, and Insurance information in a safe location off the roadway

• Notify 911 of the accident and your location and follow the directions of the dispatcher

Accident with Injuries or Breakdown:

• Switch on your warning lights

• Switch off the engine

• Stay in a safe location - we are coming to you

What to do in the event of a vehicle fire:

Your Vehicle is on Fire:

• If your vehicle is on fire pull over and exit the vehicle in a safe location

• Activate a manual alarm pull station or use the Emergency telephone to notify the Tunnel Operator

• Move away from the vehicle as the overhead deluge system may be activated

• Proceed to the nearest emergency exit to gain safe refuge

• Remember: Fire and smoke can kill, save your life not your vehicle!

Another Vehicle on Fire:

• Observe and obey tunnel safety signage and messages

• Stop your vehicle before passing the Fire location

• Stay away from the vehicle on fire as fires can easily spread

• The Ventilation system will ensure fresh air is supplied if you stop before passing the fire

• Activate a manual alarm pull station or use the Emergency telephone to notify the Tunnel Operator

• Be advised that the overhead deluge system may be activated

• Wait in your vehicle with the radio tuned to tunnel safety messages unless instructed otherwise

Will the tunnel access be from I-395? Does I-395 become A1A and then the access from A1A?

Maddle

The tunnel is only accessible coming from I-395 east. The entrance is from Watson Island.

A1A is on South Beach, nowhere near the tunnel. No accessibility.

Here is a map:

http://www.portofmiamitunnel.com/system/js/back/ckfinder/userfiles/files/news-clips/POMTProjectSiteMap.pdf

Actually the MacArthur Causeway is

the end of 395

part of A1A

and part of US 41 ....

all depends on how your map is labeled but the causeway is technically ALL these . . .

just head for South Beach via 395 and you'll see the new signage . . . the tunnel entrance is from the left lanes as you cross the bridge from the mainland to Watson Island . . .

Taking the tunnel LEAVING the cruise port, it puts you on 395 heading towards 95 and the airport.

The tunnel is already SHOWN on Google Maps but I don't believe it will route you that way yet.

POMtunnel_zps1b8d6950.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks Capt BJ....I was looking at Google Maps and that is where I saw the A1A. Google directions still take you over Port Blvd.

I look forward to your Tunnel Report myself.

Maddle