Crown on the inside passage

laughing husky

Just got back from being on the Crown....Went down the inside passage and it was very enjoyable. The ship was completely full, most were 1st timers for Princess and yet the ship seemed empty a great deal of the time. The service was excellent, the food was excellent....I was about to give up on Princess as the food had not been very good (and yes, food is a very subjective item) but this time it was great...Didn't get to the Grill, but Sabatini's was excellent and the waiter really knew the menu and the food preparation. I had anytime dining...and personally I think that is the best for Alaska...Who wants to eat when the glaciers are just standing there, creaking and moaning and dropping great chunks into the sea. Embarkation was a breeze...Took the Princess shuttle back to SeaTac from Vancouver. That was not quite as smooth. Luggage was in one of 3 buses, grab your own and run, but given the devil his due credit, they were trying a new system...and it wasn't the best....That said, the cruise made up for it. Not many whales this time....I have done this several times....but I went snorkeling in Ketchikan....(everyone should do this) and when we went by in the ship, I pointed out the cover where I was to my friend.....and lo and behold, there was a whale frolicking in the same cove...Now, that would have been an adventure. Snorkeling was great...There is so much to see...and Yes, you are WARM....even HOT....but you look like a umps lump all dressed up....back to the cruise, Skywalkers was empty most of the day, as was the Adagio lounge and it is a great place to sightsee. Even at 5 for the Platinum and Elites, the lounge was pretty much empty....The Crown was sparkly clean, the staff always had a smile on their face...and they spoke highly of their Captain. The chef was great...there are a couple of new shows...not long but they could really sing and dance....:) It made me believe again.....:) I liked it so much, signed up for another one while on board...but not to Alaska....:)

Good afternoon. We will be on the Crown on Oct. 18th and we would like to know who the cruise director will be? The same person may not still be there in Oct. but I have been trying to figure this mystery out for quite a bit! The ship sounds like she is in great shape and ready for us. Thanks again!

The Princess contact for the Crown is Coleen Reyes, creyes at princesscruises dot com. Email her on the first of October and ask for a listing of the ship's officers and she will send it to you. Princess only publishes the listing of officers on the first day of the month of the cruise.

Good afternoon. We will be on the Crown on Oct. 18th and we would like to know who the cruise director will be?

About two weeks before the cruise you should get an e-mail from Princess which will list who the CD is as well as some of the entertainment and movies that will be on board.

laughing husky, thanks so much for your thoughts about your cruise. Very glad to hear you had a good time and that the ship, entertainment, food, and personnel were terrific.

I never thought about snorkeling in Alaska :eek:. I wouldn't be able to do that this trip, but definitely something to think of for a future sailing there :). Sorry to hear there weren't more whale sightings. But how neat that was for you to see the whale in the cove!

I love anytime dining (done only on NCL until this upcoming Princess Crown cruise), and agree wholeheartedly with you! Who wants a dinner time to dictate our day??? As much as I love to eat, if something of interest is happening regarding scenery, activities, wildlife, etc., they'll take precedence over food :D.

Thanks again for your review!

Thanks for answering the questions about the staff....Just dug up the Patters....Like I said, both Neil Rose, the Captain, and the Chef said they were going on vacation....No one said for how long, but I suspect it will be for a couple of months. When I have done this before I have seen lots and lots of whales...But my friend in Valdez sent me pictures of 10 whales playing around their boat.....Now that is the place to see them, and a very thoroughly Alaskan town to boot....and no cruise ships....LOL.....

I did an Alaskan cruise in 2013 and thought about the snorkel and thought naaah to crazy, after reading your review you have me thinking about it again! Lol thanks for the review, looking forward to sailing the crown again soon :)