where to buy patches for sea sickness

janny444

On another thread that I started it came up with patches...not wrist bands... for sea sickness. Does anyone know where you can buy them...do they sell them onboard ship?

I think the patches...along with the ginger....maybe the way to go.

On another thread that I started it came up with patches...not wrist bands... for sea sickness. Does anyone know where you can buy them...do they sell them onboard ship?

Scopoderm patches are a serious bit of kit, you can get them online and posted to your house the next day, you need to fill in a quick questionnaire first though.

They will work much better than any cheap, off the shelf remedy.

The link below is to the Co-op pharmacy but there are others also.

http://www.co-operativedoctor.co.uk/scopodermpatches.cfm

Edited by richleeds
link

Be very careful with these patches. A friend of mine tried them and her eyes were affected. They are very strong. Seriously, one thing to do is to stop worrying about seasickness, some of it is definitely in the mind, though not all and I have suffered on a sailing boat. If you are seriously sick, then the doc on board can give you a jab.

Be very careful with these patches. A friend of mine tried them and her eyes were affected. They are very strong. Seriously, one thing to do is to stop worrying about seasickness, some of it is definitely in the mind, though not all and I have suffered on a sailing boat. If you are seriously sick, then the doc on board can give you a jab.

Ive not tried them personally but I have a friend who swears by them but yes they said they are for "serious" sea sickness only hence my use of the word above.

Like any meds some will think they are amazing and others will have an adverse or troubling effect.

I agree that sometimes worrying and the anticipation of sickness can actually make the symptoms worse but for people who are genuinely seasick I believe these are a good solution.

Where are you sailing to/from. I have normal seasick tablets, and if its going to be rough,I take before going to bed the first night. They help me sleep as well. By the time I wake the following morning,if I need to take more,the first ones are already in my system.

If its the north sea you are going to,from Southampton, wait and see what its like first.

After reading loads of posts here concerning seasickness, we brought 2 packets for me (I can only have a certain sort), and 2 packets of another type for my wife for our first cruise.

The only tablet that was taken was by my wife on the first morning as the English Channel storm during that night was a bit of a belter. Neither of us took any more tablets for the rest of the cruise even though the BOB was very rough.

I'm still going to take them with us for our next cruise but its as a just-in-case remedy only, not necessarily because they will be needed.

Seasickness does not necessarily affect everyone or anyone.

I've just bought a big packet of crystallised ginger for £3.20 for our cruise to Norway on 31st August. I'll buy some tablets as well but I'll see what the weather forecast is before taking any. My husband is normally pretty ok, I'm ok unless it's really rough although never been on a cruise ship only cross channel ferries. It was December though when I felt ill but sat so I could see out of a window and I was ok then.

Hopefully in the fjords nothing will be needed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a strange think this seasickness....I'm not actually sick at all but it completely takes my balance and I am unable to focus so that I can't seem to function at all...I just have to lie on the bed otherwise I would fall over. I have been through BOB when it has been extremely rough...ship listed....but felt OK and then sailed in relatively calm waters and felt terrible.It must be more to do with the actual ship's certain movement through water than the actual roughness of the seas.

It's a strange think this seasickness....I'm not actually sick at all but it completely takes my balance and I am unable to focus so that I can't seem to function at all...I just have to lie on the bed otherwise I would fall over. I have been through BOB when it has been extremely rough...ship listed....but felt OK and then sailed in relatively calm waters and felt terrible.It must be more to do with the actual ship's certain movement through water than the actual roughness of the seas.

And I think this sums it up. It may or may not happen, and the roughness of the sea may or may not have a causal effect. And the symptoms can change from person to person.

My newby advise? Take some tablets with you as it will be cheaper than using the medical facility on board, but only use a tablet if you need it.

As a retired pharmacist I would not advise the patches due to the danger of side effects. Thry were originally brought out to control nausea during cancer treatment. The same active ingredient is in Kwells which are quick acting and do not need to be swallowed so you can just dissolve them in the mouth.

You can also take anti-histamines which are slower to take affect.

In both cases it is more effective if you take the tablet before you feel sick. Kwells can be taken as soon as you feel slightly nauseous and anti-histamines are better taken the night before

Thank you warringtonian for the advice. After patches being mentioned I did look online for them but they only seemed to be available on prescription after being "consulted" by an online doctor. I will avoid them. Surprised about anti-histamines being helpful for sea sickness...just thought they were a treatment for allergies but certainly worth a try.

"Hopefully in the fjords nothing will be needed" (It won't let me quote for some reason)

The Fjords will be lovely and calm - just be aware of the sea inbetween! I went in April last year and the Norweigan Sea gave us a rough night - as soon as we went into another fjord it was fine - and I could relax and get some sleep!

Thank you warringtonian for the advice. After patches being mentioned I did look online for them but they only seemed to be available on prescription after being "consulted" by an online doctor. I will avoid them. Surprised about anti-histamines being helpful for sea sickness...just thought they were a treatment for allergies but certainly worth a try.

The anti-histamine type (they are actually for sea sickness rather than stings etc.) are usually for those who can't take the other type due to a medical condition, hence the reason why I take one type with me (the anti-histamine type) and my wife takes the more common type with her.

I didn't need them on my last very rough cruise, but I'm still going to take them on my next cruise as you never can tell.

This is not medical advice, and I am not sure if it will be helpful because I agree with others that motion sickness and it's causes and effects are very individual, however:

We cruised to the fjords last week from Southampton. I was very prone to travel sickness as a child, but have not been as an adult. Nevertheless, I was worried that it might recur, so I took advice from my local pharmacist in the UK and bought Stugeron 15 tablets for us all (but particularly me). They are available over the counter without prescription, and were suitable for me, my wife (who takes other medication) and our children. I took them according to the instructions, though reduced the dosage slightly after the first day as I felt fine. My wife and children took them when they felt a bit odd or queasy.

The sea state was generally flat, though we had a couple of evenings when the ship did feel like it was moving from side to side in the water, probably because it was windy, and one night our stuff on the bedside table was rolling around slightly.

None of us was sick, and any slight feeling of "oddness" disappeared very quickly. None of us suffered side effects.

I can't say whether the tablets had any effect or not (either medicinal or as a placebo) but I will take them on my next cruise.