2016 sailings with lots of time at sea

Starting to spot up on RCI early, as I'd like to plan our 2016 trip in plenty of time. Looking for some advice on ships, itineraries, and anything that anybody wishes to add to the thread!

We're a young (23 & 34) professional couple taking our first cruise May '15, looking to plan ahead with our first big cruise being in '16 (May-Sept) with RCI; we'd love to go on a trip that has lots of (or all) at sea time. :) We live in the UK, so would like to do a fly-cruise, the med sounds sound as exciting as the Caribbean.

Does anybody have any recommendations on ships? I've seen a lot of video reviews of ships, and am finding it hard to keep track of what I do and don't like about each! One overwhelming impression of all the ships I've seen is that they are very busy! Lots of people in every area, all the time. Is there anywhere to relax (outside of the cabins) on these ships? I'm an part-time introvert, so need to be able to escape from it all sometimes. :)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

We took our first cruise in July. It was a quick choice as we are going on the Indy in November for her Transatlantic repositioning to USA. We understand you looking ahead because we couldn't wait once that one the Indy was booked and spotted a good deal on the Brilliance from Harwich to the Baltic and before we knew it we had booked it too.

We can only say how we found it but are as sure as we can be that you will love it. We were glad we had taken our first cruise on the Brilliance as it is not one of the massive ones but ideal for us to get to know cruising a little. Sure though from what we have heard that the new, huge ships are just as welcoming if you choose one of those.

We found you could be as busy or as quiet as you liked...loads of places just to sit, relax, read, people watch etc or so many activities, events, entertainment that you will be spoilt for choice. It was busy as we boarded but the processing was so smooth we were on and away into the ship in no time. Yes there are a lot of people but it's a bit like going to a big shopping mall...as you park up you see loads of cars etc and think it will be heaving inside...but you go in and suddenly it's not as busy as you thought because everyone is off into different shops and things and so everyone spreads out. You will have no problem we are sure.

Royal Caribbean seems very organised, the ship was clean, the crew were excellent, and you will get loads of advice from the more experienced cruisers on here who took time to answer our questions when we are sure they had been asked many times before :).

Our cruise in November is followed by a few days in Orlando before flying back and is through one of the UK travel agents and we can't wait. The Independence has a huge devoted following and that says it all really. Southampton offers a wide range of itineraries so you don't need to fly unless you want to. We are sure you will get loads of very good advice here on that aspect.

Hope this helps

Just a note that we won't really know about itineraries beyond April 2016 until the March/April 2015 timeframe.

I've been wondering when the summer 2016 sailings get listed. So they normally come out in the spring of the prior year?

We enjoy the at sea days because we find that the cruise ships themselves are really just big floating resorts with plenty to do (or not). I also enjoy moments of peace and quiet and, even on a full ship, you can just about always find quiet places to go. Study the deck plans and, believe it or not, you will be able to find out of the way places on deck to lay out. Inside the ship, I have gone to the theater during the day, I have gone to the Viking Crown Lounge, the library, or just grabbed one of the many chairs along the windows. We normally get a balcony room because I like sitting on the balcony with a book and a cup of coffee. As big as these ships are, you won't have a problem relaxing!

I've been wondering when the summer 2016 sailings get listed. So they normally come out in the spring of the prior year?

Correct. During Spring 2015, Royal will likely release itineraries from May 2016 through April 2017.

Starting to spot up on RCI early, as I'd like to plan our 2016 trip in plenty of time. Looking for some advice on ships, itineraries, and anything that anybody wishes to add to the thread!

We're a young (23 & 34) professional couple taking our first cruise May '15, looking to plan ahead with our first big cruise being in '16 (May-Sept) with RCI; we'd love to go on a trip that has lots of (or all) at sea time. :) Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everyone has their own tastes and I see this is your first cruise. Are you sure you want more sea days when you are in your 20's? I am in my mid 50's and prefer cruises with more port days. But I live near warm weather and beaches and am looking for activity off the ship.

You might want to think about what you would do on these sea days and that might help you determine what ship to go with.

Whatever you decide, have fun!!

And some of the best times are when the ship is in port....it's almost empty! you still enjoy the pools, the spa, the quiet....lol

you will feel this way when you are much older and have been to the ports lots of times and just want a quiet day.....

ahhhhh to be on board now...