AVIS in Juneau tried to rip me off

pokerpro5

Very disappointed in my experience with AVIS Juneau.

I had a full size car reserved with them, months in advance. It was reserved for $69 plus tax.

Originally the reservation was for 10am on the day I would be in port. However, the day before, I realized I wouldn't be able to make 10am, and called them.

A guy named Tim told me over the phone that I shouldn't bother to change it, as they never give away cars until the renter is 4 hours late. "We will hold your car for you," he promised.

I got to AVIS about 11:45am. I called them at about 11:00am and once again verified that they were holding my car, and indeed I was promised they would hold it.

When I arrived, the guy at the counter was someone different than "Tim" (though the same guy who spoke to me at 11am, promising to hold my car.) He pulled up my reservation and said, "Okay, compact car for $79, got it for you."

I had reserved a full size (far superior to a compact) and for $69, not $79.

When I said that was incorrect, he denied it, telling me, "We don't ever touch the reservations made by the AVIS website." He insisted it was $79, and that I had been reserved for a compact.

Of course, I brought up the reservation on my phone and showed him the $69, and suddenly he said, "Oh sorry, I'll change that."

I was then told that they gave away my car, but I was going to be "upgraded" to a small SUV -- something I didn't want.

When I asked why, the guy at the counter told me, "Someone had a similar name to you, and we accidentally gave it away."

Complete lie, and an obviously ridiculous story. Plus, I have a really unusual last name.

I reluctantly agreed to the SUV.

So obviously he was hoping that I would have forgotten my reservation was for a full size (and wouldn't notice he gave away my car), plus tried to charge me $10 extra, again hoping I had forgotten.

When I called BS, then he had no choice but to offer me the SUV.

As a final kick in the ass, when I got back at 6:15, he told me he had "already clocked out" and refused to check me out. He told me to drop my keys in the drop box. I pointed to their clear sign saying they were open until 6:30, and that I didn't trust them to "check me out" after I was already gone, perhaps inventing phony damage or claiming I left the gas tank empty. He kept insisting, "Sorry, I'm clocked out, I can't do it,", until I wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally, he said, "All right, I'll do you a solid here and close it out now."

Now I have to check my credit card and see if they stuck on some bogus charges anyway.

Shaaaaaaaaady operation.

Side note: Both AVIS locations I used in Alaska had a $26 LDW package. Obviously I declined it, but I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to purchase that. Probably.

Edited by pokerpro5

I always print my confirmation and take it with me, just to be sure.

They shouldn't have given your car away, but they did upgrade you and make it good.

As for the checkout, if you knew they closed and 6:30 and wanted to be SURE they checked you out, you probably should have gotten there a bit earlier. Yes, the guy should have stayed until 6:30, but what if you got there at 6:15 and there were people in front of you getting checked out? Would you have expected him to stay late?

In the end, they did everything they were supposed to do. I wouldn't call that "shady".

I always print my confirmation and take it with me, just to be sure.

They shouldn't have given your car away, but they did upgrade you and make it good.

As for the checkout, if you knew they closed and 6:30 and wanted to be SURE they checked you out, you probably should have gotten there a bit earlier. Yes, the guy should have stayed until 6:30, but what if you got there at 6:15 and there were people in front of you getting checked out? Would you have expected him to stay late?

In the end, they did everything they were supposed to do. I wouldn't call that "shady".

They didn't "make good" because I didn't want an SUV. That's not an upgrade to me.

I did get there at 6:15. And yes, if there was a line, he should serve everyone in the line before 6:30. That's how all businesses work. But there was no line, and the dude just wanted to cut out early, so it's a moot point.

Lying to me about the amount I was supposed to pay and the car type I reserved was VERY shady. The giving away my car was more standard for rental car places, but wrong considering I called twice and was promised that wouldn't happen.

I'd contact their main office in Anchorage: (907) 243-4300

http://www.avisalaska.com/contact-us/

Thanks. Called this and was told they only deal with Anchorage.

I called Juneau back and they said the manager isn't in until Monday. I will call her then.

Honestly, if they just gave my car away, I would have been annoyed but just dealt with it, as this is common at rental agencies (Seinfeld even did a segment about it on his show.) However, the attempt to bait-and-switch the car and price is what really got me mad, as was the guy's attempt to cut out early and then subsequent refusal to check me out when I saw him at the desk.

Go online and fine the CEO or president of Avis and see if you can find an email and send a complaint to them instead of dealing with Juneau branch - you will definitely get a reply - did the same thing w other companies and got replies by the next day

I wouldn't call it shady ..... sounds like the same complaints people make against car rental vendors in every city across the country.

I'd call it shady. Shyster business operation is better. As far as the remark about this being a common complaint, maybe so as complaints go, I guess, but I never have problems with car rentals, matter of fact almost 100% positive experiences, so haven't had to complain. Sounds like they need to exert a little management in Juneau and exercise some staff discipline. I don't rent very often in Alaska because I live here, but do so quite often in Hawaii and Washington State.

I have used Avis recently in Hawaii and received excellent service. Avis in Anchorage has a pretty good reputation as well. Andrew Halcro is our Anchorage Chamber of Commerce chairman, he does a pretty good job. Also, he owns and runs Avis there. Call or write him.

Edited by kennicott

As far as the remark about this being a common complaint, maybe so as complaints go, I guess, but I never have problems with car rentals, matter of fact almost 100% positive experiences, so haven't had to complain.

Very, very common to have the car type you reserved NOT available. Also very common to have the rental agency close early or not even be open at all when your plane lands.

Avis and Hertz in Kansas City are two that stay open all night. But you guessed it, they are about twice as expensive as any of the others. Quite frequently, I take the last flight out of Phoenix to Kansas City for work. Arrives at 11:35PM. You don't know how many times I have booked Budget, Thrifty, National, etc. etc who all state they are open until midnight or Budget states last plane into MCI. They have been closed or are closing and won't give you a car when I arrive, even before midnight. I don't even bother trying the cheaper ones anymore.

"Side note: Both AVIS locations I used in Alaska had a $26 LDW package. Obviously I declined it, but I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to purchase that. Probably. "

To the OP-you might be the stupid one for NOT purchasing the LDW for $26.00. Check your own policy. A lot of personal car insurance WILL NOT pay of "loss of use" on a rental UNLESS the rental is a replacement while your own car is being repaired. NOT the issue here. Loss of use could cost you a pretty penny out of your pocket.

Sure, your own insurance will pay for the wrecked car or broken windshield (BUT only if you have glass coverage). But the car rental company has a legal right to bill the MAXIMUM they rent a particular car for on a per day basis. Dented fender-3 days in the shop. Your own insurance covers the repair. But you very well could be stuck with a $5-600 bill for the LOSS OF USE for the 3 days the car was not available to the rental company. That $26.00 per day is now looking pretty darn cheap, particularly in someplace like Alaska.

Edited by greatam

I just noticed the ironic difference between the comments about Avis in Skagway here and

"............ It was very easy to book online from Avis and just walk to the office in town. We had met two brothers on the ship who ended up going with us so Avis upgraded our car for a larger one at no cost. "

from Just back from Alaska - excursions

But the same could happen at almost any rental car location, where one customer has a good experience and another has a disappointing one.

We were always told that the standard policy at major rental car companies is to give you an upgrade at no additional charge when they do not have the type of car you reserved, and that his been our experience any number of times.

Very, very common to have the car type you reserved NOT available. Also very common to have the rental agency close early or not even be open at all when your plane lands.

Avis and Hertz in Kansas City are two that stay open all night. But you guessed it, they are about twice as expensive as any of the others. Quite frequently, I take the last flight out of Phoenix to Kansas City for work. Arrives at 11:35PM. You don't know how many times I have booked Budget, Thrifty, National, etc. etc who all state they are open until midnight or Budget states last plane into MCI. They have been closed or are closing and won't give you a car when I arrive, even before midnight. I don't even bother trying the cheaper ones anymore.

To the OP-you might be the stupid one for NOT purchasing the LDW for $26.00. Check your own policy. A lot of personal car insurance WILL NOT pay of "loss of use" on a rental UNLESS the rental is a replacement while your own car is being repaired. NOT the issue here. Loss of use could cost you a pretty penny out of your pocket.

Sure, your own insurance will pay for the wrecked car or broken windshield (BUT only if you have glass coverage). But the car rental company has a legal right to bill the MAXIMUM they rent a particular car for on a per day basis. Dented fender-3 days in the shop. Your own insurance covers the repair. But you very well could be stuck with a $5-600 bill for the LOSS OF USE for the 3 days the car was not available to the rental company. That $26.00 per day is now looking pretty darn cheap, particularly in someplace like Alaska.

$26/day is equal to almost $9500 per year.

Does your auto policy cost anywhere near $9500 per year? And guess what? Your auto policy covers liability, too.

This $26 LDW is one of the worst value insurance purchases one can possibly make, but at least I got my answer as to whether anyone actually buys it.

BTW there's a huge difference between a rental car place closing early before you get there, and refusing to serve you if you show up during posted hours and catch an employee there. They can lose their franchise for crap like that, and the corporate locations will fire people who pull this.

Very disappointed in my experience with AVIS Juneau.

I had a full size car reserved with them, months in advance. It was reserved for $69 plus tax.

Originally the reservation was for 10am on the day I would be in port. However, the day before, I realized I wouldn't be able to make 10am, and called them.

A guy named Tim told me over the phone that I shouldn't bother to change it, as they never give away cars until the renter is 4 hours late. "We will hold your car for you," he promised.

I got to AVIS about 11:45am. I called them at about 11:00am and once again verified that they were holding my car, and indeed I was promised they would hold it.

When I arrived, the guy at the counter was someone different than "Tim" (though the same guy who spoke to me at 11am, promising to hold my car.) He pulled up my reservation and said, "Okay, compact car for $79, got it for you."

I had reserved a full size (far superior to a compact) and for $69, not $79.

When I said that was incorrect, he denied it, telling me, "We don't ever touch the reservations made by the AVIS website." He insisted it was $79, and that I had been reserved for a compact.

Of course, I brought up the reservation on my phone and showed him the $69, and suddenly he said, "Oh sorry, I'll change that."

I was then told that they gave away my car, but I was going to be "upgraded" to a small SUV -- something I didn't want.

When I asked why, the guy at the counter told me, "Someone had a similar name to you, and we accidentally gave it away."

Complete lie, and an obviously ridiculous story. Plus, I have a really unusual last name.

I reluctantly agreed to the SUV.

So obviously he was hoping that I would have forgotten my reservation was for a full size (and wouldn't notice he gave away my car), plus tried to charge me $10 extra, again hoping I had forgotten.

When I called BS, then he had no choice but to offer me the SUV.

As a final kick in the ass, when I got back at 6:15, he told me he had "already clocked out" and refused to check me out. He told me to drop my keys in the drop box. I pointed to their clear sign saying they were open until 6:30, and that I didn't trust them to "check me out" after I was already gone, perhaps inventing phony damage or claiming I left the gas tank empty. He kept insisting, "Sorry, I'm clocked out, I can't do it,", until I wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally, he said, "All right, I'll do you a solid here and close it out now."

Now I have to check my credit card and see if they stuck on some bogus charges anyway.

Shaaaaaaaaady operation.

Side note: Both AVIS locations I used in Alaska had a $26 LDW package. Obviously I declined it, but I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to purchase that. Probably.

I'm sorry you had such an experience with AVIS. For the past five cruises to Alaska, we have always booked with National/Alamo Car Rentals in Juneau. I think they have had the same franchisee for quite awhile. For a season or two, they had a location at the cruise terminal for the season, but stopped after two years. When we were there in May of this year, we put only 70 miles on the car. They gave us a free upgrade to a Toyota Camry from a compact car. When I filled the gas tank up the station near the airport, I put in nearly $25 worth of gas. We have a new Camry at home, and when I mentioned that even though the dashboard said it was full, we know we get better gas mileage than 12 MPH. She took my gas receipt, and deducted it from the rental.

That AVIS guy could sure make up some stupid stories!Q

They didn't "make good" because I didn't want an SUV. That's not an upgrade to me.

I did get there at 6:15. And yes, if there was a line, he should serve everyone in the line before 6:30. That's how all businesses work. But there was no line, and the dude just wanted to cut out early, so it's a moot point.

Lying to me about the amount I was supposed to pay and the car type I reserved was VERY shady. The giving away my car was more standard for rental car places, but wrong considering I called twice and was promised that wouldn't happen.

Read the fine print of the reservation you made and you will see that any car rental company can offer you a complimentary "upgrade" whether you want it or not. I booked with Enterprise in Anchorage last September and was upgraded from a compact to a pickup truck. I didn't want the upgrade but that was all they had left!

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let it go and move on. You can waste your time and energy calling the manager but it's not gonna change anything.

I agree.

I'd call it shady. Shyster business operation is better. As far as the remark about this being a common complaint, maybe so as complaints go, I guess, but I never have problems with car rentals, matter of fact almost 100% positive experiences, so haven't had to complain.

I do a fair amount of car rentals in any given year and I am vigilant to look through the rental contract - often I am asked to sign that I am accepting something I don't want, etc. I wouldn't call what happened with the OP shady, but if they were pressured into taking the CDW package, that would be more in the "shady" category.

That is very much a YMMV situation. Not all rental companies charge for "loss of use" and some credit cards specifically cover loss of use. I had a claim with Enterprise last year and loss of use was never even mentioned or charged.

Does your auto policy cost anywhere near $9500 per year? And guess what? Your auto policy covers liability, too.

This $26 LDW is one of the worst value insurance purchases one can possibly make, but at least I got my answer as to whether anyone actually buys it.

BTW there's a huge difference between a rental car place closing early before you get there, and refusing to serve you if you show up during posted hours and catch an employee there. They can lose their franchise for crap like that, and the corporate locations will fire people who pull this.

CDW is not "insurance" since the premium is nowhere tied to the risk involved. If one is willing to "self-insure" (i.e. be willing to pay the deductible as well as any possible loss of use), they can certainly decline the CDW. I always decline it since I rent often and am willing to self-insure. I have had multiple claims over the years through my credit card company and the rental company has never charged for loss of use, so as I said above YMMV. Some people who rent just once or twice a year are very willing to pay for the CDW. If they rent for a week a year, that is maybe $150-$200 for CDW vs. paying $500-$1,000 deductible if they are covered through a credit card or personal auto policy for the balance in case something happens. Insurance and insurance-type products are pretty much always something you buy because you don't want to bear the risk, as well as you hope you never use it (no one I know who buys life insurance hopes they will use it anytime soon for example!).

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let it go and move on. You can waste your time and energy calling the manager but it's not gonna change anything.

It may not change anything for OP but they will stop following such practices for others.

If you were going to have a rental for a year, you would have to enter into a corporate lease. Most rental companies won't allow you to have a car for a year on a daily rental basis.

The $26 per day LDW can be a pretty cheap investment depending on the circumstances. Your own auto policy has a deductible on collision. As frugaltravel pointed out, $150-200 for a week's worth of LDW can offset the hit on the collision deductible. Also, if you do not have glass coverage (and we don't on any of our vehicles-even our new Suburban), you would be responsible for a broken windshield, which the LDW would cover. And before you ask why we don't have glass coverage-the cost. With our commercial insurance, the price is about $40-45 per month, per vehicle. Are we going to use up $500 per year for glass? Nope, replacement windshields even for the Suburban are in the neighborhood of $300 each (NOT if you go through insurance-about $700-but private shop-$300). SO why pay $500 per vehicle per year? IN addition, if you only had a broken windshield or a dented fender and no ticket or police report and turned it into your own personal insurance, that generally goes against your own insurance rates. So you could be paying more in the future just because you turned in a claim to your own insurance company.

As I previously posted, I have arrived at rental counters in Kansas City before the stated closing time and been told on three different occasions-"we're closing, sorry". Last time, Sept 21, 2013 at Budget. 11:50PM. Stood there and argued with the guy for 15 minutes. Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, I have already closed out my books.

This was a prepaid, Hotwire car. Hotwire refunded but not without a lot of hassle. And Budget still operates at the airport at MCI and they still post on their website-closing time: LAST plane into MCI (which is the US Airways flight out of PHX). They close early. And no one does a darn thing. So would you please get your corporate connections to force them to stay open for that last flight into MCI??? Avis/Hertz-$65 per day for a full sized car, the rest of them-about $25-30 for a full sized car. I sure would like to save the money-would pay for the LDW!!!

Edited by greatam

You're making this too complicated. LDW definitely is insurance -- it's just the rate is so high that it is the same for all renters (no need to evaluate the individual!)

To figure out if you're getting a good or bad value, you figure out the chance you will need it and the maximum benefit. If the max benefit is low and the chance of using it is also low, it's an awful deal.

It's a mathematical problem. People like to say "You'll be glad you have insurance when it comes time to need it", but that's just feelgood nonsense to justify a terrible value purchase.

In some cases it's ok to get a terrible value if you are protecting yourself from a catastrophic loss (such as $50k+), but not to save a paltry $500-1000 in the "worst case scenario".

So yes, when you are buying a $26 LDW, you are indeed paying a rate of $9490 per year for a collision policy. Yuck.

To show you what a horrible deal this is, LDW used to be $9 somewhat recently, and they were still making a killing on it. The prices went up because rental companies realizes the people accepting $9 would also accept much higher, while those declining $9 would decline it at almost any price.

The percentage of LDW claims is tiny, btw, and many are for minor scrapes and dents.

Edited by pokerpro5

You're making this too complicated. LDW definitely is insurance -- it's just the rate is so high that it is the same for all renters (no need to evaluate the individual!)

Sorry you are wrong. In a technical and legal sense, LDW/CDW is not insurance. You obviously are of the "younger generation" and don't recall when the rental companies indeed called it "insurance" and had to change the term/name since insurance is highly regulated, not to mention that the insurance premium must be somewhat related to the risk involved. As you pointed out, the premium is nowhere near related to the risk involved.

Sorry you are wrong. In a technical and legal sense, LDW/CDW is not insurance. You obviously are of the "younger generation" and don't recall when the rental companies indeed called it "insurance" and had to change the term/name since insurance is highly regulated, not to mention that the insurance premium must be somewhat related to the risk involved. As you pointed out, the premium is nowhere near related to the risk involved.

So, most everybody generally calls it "Insurance".

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck." "

"Suppose you see a bird walking around in a farm yard. This bird has no label that says 'duck'. But the bird certainly looks like a duck. Also, he goes to the pond and you notice that he swims like a duck. Then he opens his beak and quacks like a duck. Well, by this time you have probably reached the conclusion that the bird is a duck, whether he's wearing a label or not."

True though: "It's not insurance, in the technical sense, that rental companies offer, Abrams says. Rental companies are not licensed insurance agents in every state. Instead, they offer a protection package. "It doesn't help where clear negligence is involved," Abrams warns. "If you leave your car with the engine running and the key in the ignition, and the car disappears, the rental company may have a problem with that."

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2012/06/04/should-you-puchase-rental-car-insurance

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/do-you-buy-the-loss-damage-waiver-for-rental-cars.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/rental-car-surprises/car-rental/index.htm

When I go to Hawaii and rent a car for over a month, which we do quite often, and I find that LDW-CDW pretty much doubles my expected rental charges and I have excellent auto coverage which includes rentals, which h I do, as well as a heavy umbrella which also kicks in, I would have to be nuts to buy the rental agency stuff.

As for the comment regarding premium rates escalating when you claim something, like a broken windshield, using your windshield insurance option, maybe some agencies do that but we have never had such a problem.

We always print a copy of auto rental reservation agreements, hotel reservations, etc. but the OP did something equivalent, he got on the net and showed the agent the agreement, using his smart phone.

Edited by kennicott

I'm not talking about legal or technical terms.

I'm talking about common sense and reality.

This is definitely a form of insurance, as you are paying a premium in order to prevent being on the hook for damage that might occur in the future. It's very similar to the collision portion of your normal auto insurance policy.

There are two reasons why the amount of risk of each individual is not assessed:

1) It would be too time-consuming to do this on the spot for each renter

2) The premium is so high that it would still be a good deal for the rental company, even for the worst drivers

BTW, damage occurring from DUIs or driving on unpaved roads is NOT covered by the LDW, so that takes out a little bit of the risk for the rental company, as well.

I just rented a car in Los Angeles (unexpectedly, as my car developed issues suddenly on the drive home), and everyone in line took the LDW, which ranged from $9-24, depending upon the coverage they wanted. This was at Hertz.

I know this was highly unscientific, but it looks to me that they are selling these LDWs like hotcakes, and I'm sure it's a huge moneymaker for the car rental places.

Edited by pokerpro5

was this experience with Avis the most memorable moment of your trip?

It seems like such a strange thing to focus on. Most people choose to write about the enjoyable moments of their vacation not a disappointment with a rental car.

It is one of several memorable things. Fortunately there were a lot more good moments for me than bad.

I will be doing a writeup on my trip and a review on the NCL Sun shortly.