Crime in Nassau and shore visits, your advice and experiences please

Claire22

Hello All,

I'm new to Cruise Critic and my husband and I will be departing for our first cruise ever, to the Eastern Caribbean, in 5 weeks time. We were really looking forward to it but just yesterday I came across some disturbing information about the serious violent crime in Nassau, rated among the worst in the Caribbean. As a first time cruiser and visitor to the Bahamas I had no idea that this type of situation existed. I read about tour groups being robbed by gunmen in broad daylight in tourist areas and on beaches plus violent assaults and robberies near the cruise ship docks. I already booked us a ship's shore excursion to the two forts and after reading how bad the situation is in Nassau now I think I'll cancel it, wondering if we should just stay on the ship while there. I'd really appreciate hearing anyone's recent experiences while in Nassau, their concerns or what they observed. We were anticipating a relatively safe island paradise and this info has me really worried.

Edited by Claire22

Be prepared for crowds. Last time I was in Nassau there were 11 cruise ships in port. Standing on the dock felt like the New York subway during the rush hour. Do not carry anything that is easy to lose like your wallet, purse, jewelry. The tourist areas are as safe as any large city in the US.

Claire

Just stay on the main streets and beaches. If Atlantis interests you, head there. This is NOT a slum neighborhood where the criminals are running the show. Yes there is crime there but most happens in isolated areas and very, very, very rarely in the main tourist areas. The police are everywhere. Just put the bad thoughts out of your mind and just go and enjoy your vacation.

Cheers

Len

We've been to Nassau over a dozen times (mostly on cruises but also staying at hotels twice) and have never experienced any crime. If you stay in the tourist areas with others, you should be fine. Use common sense, don't flash money, don't carry expensive items, etc.

I believe the incident of a tour group being robbed at gunpoint happened quite a few years ago on a Segway tour that is no longer in operation.

Go and enjoy!

Hello!

My boyfriend and I recently went to Nassau in April via Enchantment of the Seas. We did not book any excursions or rent any thing. We spent over an hour walking around the city looking at local buildings and walking down side streets.

I asked a few locals where I could find a nail salon because I thought not only would it be less pricey than on board, but it would take us out of the tourist areas so we could see more of the city.

We took a local bus to the mall where there was not one tourist. We did a lot of shopping and we found a dollar store with items that we needed that were just too expensive on the ship..as well as local sodas and snacks.

The local bus ride was a great and fun experience and something we still talk about. It never once felt unsafe to us.

I hope this helped.

Have fun!

Thank you all, I feel much less uncertain about venturing off the ship now. I think we will heed your advice and leave our valuables, wallet and purse in the ship safe and just take a small amount of cash with us for some little souvenirs we may want to purchase. We'll also go ahead with the shore excursion as well, it's a great opportunity to visit both the forts on the island and we really would be disappointed to miss it. When reading those articles about the crime in Nassau I had such a distressing picture in my mind's eye of what it would be like to just walk down the street, but after your comments, encouragement and sound advice I see that it isn't as bad as I had imagined and feel more confident in going ahead with our day as planned.

I always carry my DSLR camera w/ me on vacations-even to large cities NYC, DC, LA, - would you suggest not doing this in Nassau? It's usually on my neck or over my shoulder. I prefer it to using my cell phone for pictures.

As a tourist, which we all are, I am sure most of us are carrying some type of cameras with us.

Was in Nassau about two weeks ago and just walked the city with my wife. Never felt unsafe.

Most of the people on these islands understand that Tourism is the number one industry on the island and the future of their economy. The government certainly knows that and they take every precaution to make sure that tourist are safe.

I always carry my DSLR camera w/ me on vacations-even to large cities NYC, DC, LA, - would you suggest not doing this in Nassau? It's usually on my neck or over my shoulder. I prefer it to using my cell phone for pictures.

As a tourist, which we all are, I am sure most of us are carrying some type of cameras with us.

I always carry my camera too. Just keep it on your person and you should be OK.

It's the same everywhere. I'm getting ready for a trip to Europe and reading lots about pickpocketing. :eek: It's not going to stop me from going. It just reminds me to keep on eye on my stuff.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I was in Nassau this past June and felt safe. DD got her hair braided right outside the gates to the port and then we walked the main street for shopping. There were plenty of other tourists around so we never felt unsafe.

Amber Erin, Also go to your guest relations or bring from home, but I usually do it on the ship before getting into port and get small bills ones and a 5's so if you go to straw market you can dicker with prices on things.. hard to do that with a twenty dollar bill in hand… Have Fun!

We walked to Junkanoo Beach last month (July 2014). There were 4 ships in the port that day. There were tourists walking everywhere and I never felt uneasy.

At the beach, my husband and I noticed police (wearing orange reflective vests). They just walked around the beach. There are people on the beach asking if you want braids and never did we feel pressured or afraid. If you say no thank you, they move on.

Since we had never been to Nassau before, we were thankful for the presence of the security.

Our last visit to Nassau was a year ago, we had already heard about the Sedgway robbery-but when you get off the ship, you walk through a small mall where those who have been selected by the government can sell their wares. Very safe. Once you walk out of that area, you will be " on the streets" -straw market, hair braiding, bars, but I think the thing you need to be most careful of is the street itself or the sidewalks, cobble stones, uneven, etc. DH fell last year, our friend cruising on the Fantasy a month later fell, in fact our friends mom on our very first cruise fell in Nassau.

Don't wander the streets at night. Even the locals warned us about that, but during broad daylight-on a tour-you will be fine. And yes we did the bus, "jitney" out to the sheritan, now Melia and had a blast.

I have traveled to Nassau 4 times. 2 of those times I was solo. I have never felt unsafe. I walk the city, Use the local transportation, and visit the local beaches away form tourist traps. I will admit the city is a little creepy in the evening. There is not a lot of lighting and everything shuts down around 6pm. I would not hang out there by myself at night. During the day you're fine. Their economy depends on tourists to stay profitable. The police and locals are aware of the role we play in their economy and do try to keep tourists safe in the main tourist areas.

Have been to Nassau several times, last time was in June 2014. All is fine if you stay on the main streets and during the day. Wife and I actually walked from the ship to the Queens Staircase and to Fort Fincastle, then down the hill and and west To Fort Charlotte ( made up of several forts). Then walked over to the Fish Fry for lunch.. All good. As others mentioned. Use commen sence, and you will enjoy your visit. Just FYI admission for the the forts is $1.00, however you will probably encounter a "local" who will give you a wealth of info... Tips are appreciated!! :D

I have been to Nassau many times on my own. I have even gone to Ardastra Gardens/Zoo. Its going in the same direction to Junkanoo Beach, after passing the beach, its 15 more minute walk where there are no more tourists in sight. I felt safe, except when a car stopped next to me and a guy asked me if I wanted to party. I said no, and he drove of.

I have been in Nassau twice this year, by Carnival Cruise. In March, they did mention that they have high crime against tourist in the dailies for the date that we were Supposed to visit Nassau. In June I was there again, but this time, there was no mention about the crime in the dailies.

Have been there a couple of times and have really never not felt safe during the day. But have heard not to be out at night by yourself. We are usually back on board by dark. Just pay attention to your surroundings as you would in any large city and you will be fine.

We were there in January and felt perfectly safe walking around Nassau near the port all day long! And we went to Atlantis at night, didn't come back via taxi until 2am, again perfectly safe! During the day we took a private tour with Mario , he was AWESOME!!! If you would like his contact info just email me at megator2@aol.com. We asked him straight out about the ships warning about crime increase in Nassau, he said there has been problems but "gang on gang" issues not towards tourists or regular civilians. He took us all over, and was very informative and very friendly we had a awesome tour even though we have been many times before it was the first time taking a private taxi (van) tour, so glad we did!!!! Every city has crime , our home ports have tons of crime, I think you need to be aware of your surroundings where ever you go but in NO way did we feel in danger , not even once!

I have never felt unsafe in the main areas. I would keep the camera around your neck as it is easier to grab it off the shoulder. I do this everywhere I go. You will be fine. Enjoy your first cruise and I am sure many more to come. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Nassau on the Enchantment of the Seas a few weeks ago. It was my sister and I, and we walked (carrying our cameras on our necks) from the ship to Queen's Staricase & Fort Fincastle, then back again.

We didn't have any problems, and we took the long route, going into the neighborhoods and passing many locals.

We did have someone in an unmarked car with tinted windows offer us a "taxi service", which we declined.

I think that as long as you stay to the tourist areas you should be fine. I wouldn't go venturing off on any side roads or anything, just like many areas here in the big cities of the US.

Have fun!

We're headed back with the kids next week and we'll be walking around again.