Need answers from the people who know....

Hey all I'm diving in to the pool of knowledge again with a question, friend of mine I ran into today , he's a general practitioner, I mentioned to him that we were going to the Caribbean in a few weeks and he asked if I got any shots.... Um no I said , he offered to hook me and my family up , but my question is are these hep A shots a must , not getting any tattoos or swimming , maybe a few drinks at margritaville in cozomel , but other than that just going to roam around other than the monkey tour in roatan I have no real thoughts about eating some weird food or drinking shots out of some strangers belly button ....so what's the general consensus

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our health plan covered the shots for hepatitis A so we all took advantage of it.

Map of countries with moderate to high risk by the World Health organization.

http://gamapserver.who.int/mapLibrary/Files/Maps/Global_HepA_ITHRiskMap.png

Hepatitis A can be spread by infected persons so even staying at that fancy resort with clean water means nothing if their staff are living in not so nice areas.

I do agree that the risk is relatively small but why take the chance when the vaccine is available.

We did a TDAP for our first Med cruise although I'm not sure why. When's the last time you did TDAP? It may not be strictly needed for your specific cruise, but getting an occasional booster is recommended as a general health thing.

Immunity wears off over time. So, the current recommendation is that everyone needs a booster shot for tetanus and diphtheria every 10 years after first being immunized.

http://www.webmd.com/children/vaccines/dtap-and-tdap-vaccines

Enjoy your cruise.

I just make sure my tetanus (TDAP) is up to date. There really aren't any required shots for the Caribbean. I went 40 years between tetanus shots when I finally got one again about 2 years ago. Anyway, I just got mine at my physical, but you can get them at any clinic.

Hep a are good for dirty water etc not necessarily necessary there

Rest other than good flu shot would not worry

And take mosquito repellant as there are some nasty bugs around at the

Moment in. Some if the areas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey all I'm diving in to the pool of knowledge again with a question, friend of mine I ran into today , he's a general practitioner, I mentioned to him that we were going to the Caribbean in a few weeks and he asked if I got any shots.... Um no I said , he offered to hook me and my family up , but my question is are these hep A shots a must , not getting any tattoos or swimming , maybe a few drinks at margritaville in cozomel , but other than that just going to roam around other than the monkey tour in roatan I have no real thoughts about eating some weird food or drinking shots out of some strangers belly button ....so what's the general consensus

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hep A is usually recommended for frequent travelers. I have both Hep A/B shots as I have also traveled to Africa and Asia.

Our health plan covered the shots for hepatitis A so we all took advantage of it.

Map of countries with moderate to high risk by the World Health organization.

http://gamapserver.who.int/mapLibrary/Files/Maps/Global_HepA_ITHRiskMap.png

Hepatitis A can be spread by infected persons so even staying at that fancy resort with clean water means nothing if their staff are living in not so nice areas.

I do agree that the risk is relatively small but why take the chance when the vaccine is available.

What health plan do you have that covered the vaccination for Hepatitis A? I am a retired federal servant.