Acadian tour vs peggy's cover??? help!

We're trying to decide which Halifax tour to go on-Peggy's Cove or this "Evangaline & the Acadian Journey". No kayaking, biking or long walking stuff for us, my Mom is in her seventies :) and walks ok but slow.

I am worried the Peggy's Cove will be mobbed with other tourists and that it is too tiny to spend much time at. They also keep warnings all over the place about wind and slippery rocks. They include a walking tour but is it ok to just follow the tour for a while?

The Acadian tour is 6 hours long! It sounds really interesting, but you do have to get lunch on your own. Has anyone been on this tour or like it?????

It stops in Wolfeville for lunch and "shopping on your own".

Anyone been to Wolfeville?? Any restaurant suggestions???

Thank you all so much!!!!

divawife.... We just returned from Halifax. We did a private tour....through Halifax and out to Peggy's Cove.

Peggy's Cove is gorgeous. I'm really glad we went.

We were charged $45.00 pp for a 4 hour tour. We were actually with the tour for about 5 hours. Picked us up at the pier. My family in a mini-van.

The price is perfect. The tour excellent. The tour guide...delightful.

We were on the Enchantment with Boo's Mom and took the ship's tour to Peggy's Cove. The guide was wonderful and very informative. As far as your mom walking at Peggy's Cove, many people like to go our on the rocks (not too far) to enjoy the view. If this is difficult for your mom, she will still enjoy the beautiful scenery without going out on the rocks there. I think the crowds may depend on how many ships are in port that day, since the other tours are fairly constant. You can check this link to see how many other ships are in port when you will be there: http://www.portofhalifax.ca/AbsPage.aspx?ID=1016&siteid=1&lang=1

Hi c breeze ! :D

Hi, Boo's Mom! Don't you wish you were back on the Enchantment, with someone cooking all your meals and cleaning up your room! Wasn't Peggy's Cove beautiful? I also miss the cooler weather (but not the fog). It has been one hot summer here in PA!

Coral...

We went all over Halifax. Stopped at the Titanic Cemetary (not to be missed).

It is about a 45 minute drive out to Peggy's Cove. We spent about an hour and a half there...including eating lunch at the tourist restaurant on site at the lighthouse.

The food way ok. If I had it to do all over again....I would have found the time to eat at one of the small local joints on Peggy's Cove. There was one place where they served lunch out on a picnic table out on the water. Not the rough water, but a little cove that went along some fishing businesses.

The lighthouse has an actual post office in it. Bring your addresses....and you can buy a postcard and mail it from right there! Very cool.

and....did I mention that he has a precious accent? He is from New Zealand.

I told him to plan on us that day. I hope I can modify our tour to something between the 5 hour one he offers and the 8-10 hour one that he offers. We can't do the long one because we are only in port from 9-5:30.

I really appreciate the recommendation - I am finding few private companies on this fall foliage trip. Boo's Mom - since I have seen you post on this board for a while - I really appreciate your recommendation.

Hopefully this weekend I can touch base with him via phone. I think the private tour will be best - especially with my mom's disability.

Again, thanks.

Hi, me again.

You all forgot about my question! ;-) I was so excited to see 16 responses.

I think we are taking the Acadian tour. Anyone, anybody out there been on this type of tour????

My mom is with a friend, not me. I am just helping get info.

Her friend is not into tours. Mom is. But she is alone and will def book one of the ship's tours because of that reason. Booking a tour independently is not happening. So please please help someone... they have lunch and shopping in Wofeville. It is a 6 hour tour. They are on their own for lunch. Hopefully someone will ask her to join them but...any suggestions on restaurants? Anything? Anybody? help?

Love and thanks so much-

Diva

Hi, me again.

You all forgot about my question! ;-) I was so excited to see 16 responses.

I think we are taking the Acadian tour. Anyone, anybody out there been on this type of tour????

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

DIVAWIFE,

To get back to your thread....we have made several trips to the Maritimes on our own by car. We drove the Evangeline Trail. It is interesting in that it is an entirely different culture from the rest of Canada. These are true "French" not "French Canadian". As you may gather from the name of the tour,the Evangeline Trail takes you through the area inhabited by Acadians,most of whom were expelled from Canada and migrated to Louisiana where they became "Cajuns". The trail has restaurants with true Acadian food and is studded with some very interesting churches,including the tallest wooden steeple in North American and a cathedral built over many years as they could haul in enough granite to build one one course per year. I would guess you would also have an opportunity to visit at least one port where you will get to see the effects of the Fundy tides.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Coral.

We booked through Greg Inglis of Kiwi kaboodle's Tour. His site is:

www.novascotiatoursandtravel.com

Greg is a one man show. He books up and then turns customers away.

I can confirm that this is true. We received an email from Greg saying he was booked up on the day of our visit. If anyone has an alternative suggestions, we'd appreciate it.

rent a car and get a map. Its an easy drive and you'll beat the ships tours to Peggy's cove(they get there for lunch) Then back track and do the park, Titanic Cemetary, and then the museum in town. Halifax is disaster central, Swiss Air flight, The Titanic(it where they buried some of the bodies), the Halifax explosion(the largest manmade explosion prior to dropping of the Atomic Bomb)....

Archived