Sail away during dinner in MDR - Solstice

AntjeG

Perhaps a silly question:

I´m booked to the early seating during my Sydney to Auckland cruise. So sail away from Sydney is exactly at dinner time. Late seating has only wait list in the moment.

In your experience, do I have a chance to enjoy at least a little bit of the sail away view during dinner? As I am travelling alone I don´t want to do specialty dining and I don´t think it would be good to go to the buffet the first night. I´d like to meet the people at my dinner table the first night. I also assume buffet might get pretty crowded that night.

Any advice and opinions will be appreciated - thanks.

Not a silly question at all. I am not familiar with this particular sailing, but by and large I would say that the main determination might be where your table is located. If you have a table near the window, on the side from which the ship is sailing, then you likely can enjoy part of the sail away. Perhaps others can advise specifics of whether you first sail past some land or whether you head directly out to sea.

I see you are from Germany, and my recommendation is do not miss the sail away. Sydney harbor is one of the most beautiful in the world, and is something you need a panoramic view of. I would recommend being up on deck for the sail away and then have a late dinner in the buffet. I have sailed in and out of Sydney many times and still never miss it, even when I have to wake up at 0500 as we arrive. From memory it takes about 45-60 mins from the berth to the heads (where you leave the harbor) so you could pop into the restaurant after that to meet you'd table companions, although its quite likely that may not be there either.

Cheers

Ando

We did this cruise last November out of Sydney. The Sydney sail-away was touted as one of the best port sail-always and I would have to agree. The trip out of the harbor took about 45 minutes (about 6 miles to the ocean). So if you are seated near a window you will have views either side. However the great views are topside.

ImageUploadedByForums1407879381.721718.jpg.b7e0fb9a61c6e96f2eb65760eb56b506.jpg

This is a fantastic cruise. You will really enjoy it!

Tom & Jamie

I have to agree with the others. I took this cruise last year, and although I have taken ferries out of the harbor countless times it is special on the Solstice. I think it is a good suggestion to check your table location, but none will allow you the full experience. I'm with you on not wanting to do the buffet the first night, but say go for the chance to try a specialty restaurant. We booked in for 8pm on the first night and got 20% off. As for being alone, don't let that stop you. I have seen countless solo cruisers over the years in specialty restaurants, and will be one this October.

I have sailed out of Sydney Harbour 3 times and about to do so a 4th time in October. Always up top, fantastic view and there is always the ' oh my goodness are we going to back into the Bridge!' feeling that never fails to excite.

You might be able to grab a window table on either side of the dining room but there is things to see from both sides, so you would miss quite a bit.

My tiake on this might be a tad different from others... But here goes.

We had a late Sailaway on the Summit out of San Juan in 2013... It being scheduled to happen during the late seating as well.

We always choose Late Traditional Dining cause we like truly getting to know our table mates as well as our assigned wait staff.

On E-Day, once you get into the cabin you should find a card with your Dining / Seating Assignment take the card, and head on down to the MDR to find out the location of your assigned table

lol, we do this EVERY cruise no matter what, as it means we can politely tell the Maitre D that they need not bother seating as we KNOW where we are going. perhaps not the best Etquette, but we know that the MDR is a busy place on the first night... And our being self sufficient means one less thng for Celebrity Crew to worry about... And makes the long line at the front door to the MDR move quicker (I like to hope that my fellow Pax appreciate my helping to make that happen for them :D )

You will be able to clearly see where you are assigned, and where the nearest windows are, and plan accordingly

It isn't a big deal during Dinner IMO if you were to properly make your apologies... Saying the view is too tempting... And get up from your seat and check out the view between courses (afterall MDR service is intentionally served at a relaxed pace)

It is however inconsiderate to come to Dinner late... Anything beyond 10 or 15 Minutes would be down right RUDE in my book as all of your table mates would be inconvenienced, in so much as everyone at your table receives synchronized service in the French Stle, where the next course isn't brought out until everyone as finished the first one, etc. So don't plan on catching Sailaway topside, and then arriving at the MDR 45 minutes after your Seating time.

(infact as i recall there was at one time a sign at the Entranceway yo the MDR outkining that no one would be seated at such & such a time... And have known the Maitre D infact to turn away Pax who arrived beyond a time that was considered appropriate for timing the service)

So in reality, you have to make a choice. Arrive on time for MDR Dining or choose to eat elsewhere... For which there are lots of options

It truly isn't that uncommon for Pax to eat elsewhere the first night as many just opt out cause they have had a long day of travel etc

If you are going to take part in Traditional Dining... Then it is in my mind most important that you show up on Night # 2, which on most Cruises is the first formal night & The Captain's Welcome etc. Night # 2 I feel sets the tone for the rest of the evenings in the MDR when it comes to getting to know ones table mates.

Hope this helps (somewhat),

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Sometimes the ship doesn't sail on time so you never know what will happen.

If I were in your position I'd stop by the dining room at the beginning of the dinner seating and introduce myself to the waiter and dining table mates, explain that you are going to miss dinner for the sail away but that you're looking forward to dining with everyone the next night. That way everyone will understand you are not abandoning the table and will hopefully have a much nicer impression of you than if you just no-showed. Your waiters might even offer some arraignment for you to rejoin the table for some of the courses that evening if the timing works at all for that.

Edited by Lsimon

Sometimes the ship doesn't sail on time so you never know what will happen.

If I were in your position I'd stop by the dining room at the beginning of the dinner seating and introduce myself to the waiter and dining table mates, explain that you are going to miss dinner for the sail away but that you're looking forward to dining with everyone the next night. That way everyone will understand you are not abandoning the table and will hopefully have a much nicer impression of you than if you just no-showed. Your waiters might even offer some arraignment for you to rejoin the table for some of the courses that evening if the timing works at all for that.

As always... LSIMON posts by far one the best solutions to a "sticky situation"

Tip of my hat sir,

Cheers!

Perhaps a silly question: I´m booked to the early seating during my Sydney to Auckland cruise. So sail away from Sydney is exactly at dinner time. Late seating has only wait list in the moment. In your experience, do I have a chance to enjoy at least a little bit of the sail away view during dinner? As I am travelling alone I don´t want to do specialty dining and I don´t think it would be good to go to the buffet the first night. I´d like to meet the people at my dinner table the first night. I also assume buffet might get pretty crowded that night. Any advice and opinions will be appreciated - thanks.

gryphyn13: We did this cruise last November out of Sydney. The Sydney sail-away was touted as one of the best port sail-always and I would have to agree. The trip out of the harbor took about 45 minutes (about 6 miles to the ocean). So if you are seated near a window you will have views either side. However the great views are topside.

Not a silly question. Very good factor to consider sooner' date=' rather than later. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. The sail-out from Sydney is super and not be missed. Seeing a little, maybe, out of the MDR window is not good enough. PLUS, there are several other great ports on your trip where the "sail-aways" are spectacular. Below are a couple of my visual samples to prove it. Can more here. Or, lots more visuals and other details/options on the full postings for Australia and New Zealand.

[b']Can you possibly do late dining?[/b] Or, maybe it is worth checking and chatting with the MDR staff on other options/arrangements, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 71,961 views for this fun posting.

First is the perfect sail-out in Sydney with its famed, arched Harbour Bridge nicely framed in the background as those of us on the Solstice's top, back side experienced these thrilling sights. Second is from our sailing out from Akaroa's scenic bay in southern NZ. Lots of us are smart to be in these rear locations of the Solstice to see a full view of scenes left, right and back in these great locations.:

SolsticeAug14B2_zps4123a671.jpg

SolsticeAug14B10_zpsde3cca2a.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

Terry, I am already waiting for late dinner - as for now it is fully booked. Your pics are great - thanks.

Lsimon I think I will follow your suggestion and step by in the MDR if I´m still stuck in the early seating.

Thanks again everybody - I really appreciate that people here take the time to answer all my questions.