Cash to settle credit account

Gotcha. Hmm...way to make it confusing and hard to plan. :rolleyes:

That is why many recommend having a cash account, and paying at the end with the debit card. No holds that way.

Downsides would be the requirement to stand in line on the last night and pay off the account, and the inability to charge anything once the account is closed.

That is why many recommend having a cash account, and paying at the end with the debit card. No holds that way.

Downsides would be the requirement to stand in line on the last night and pay off the account, and the inability to charge anything once the account is closed.

Do they not allow closing the final morning?

Of course, if I get a drink package, that would be a moot point as that is all I would possibly get at that point on the cruise...

Of course, if I get a drink package, that would be a moot point as that is all I would possibly get at that point on the cruise...

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if you can close out the account on the last morning. I thought I read that you had to close it on the last evening, but I might be wrong on that.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if you can close out the account on the last morning. I thought I read that you had to close it on the last evening, but I might be wrong on that.

Ok.

Can you purchase onboard credit on RCI like you can on HAL (or essentially do the same by adding money to your account ahead of time on DCL)?

Ok.

Can you purchase onboard credit on RCI like you can on HAL (or essentially do the same by adding money to your account ahead of time on DCL)?

Yes, call 800-722-5443 to purchase on board credit.

Edited by clarea

I totally get it and we use cash to pay off our onboard acct as well. I don't think you should have to justify :confused: why you do it! That is best for you and that's awesome! Have a great trip ;)

Thanks:) i hope you have an awesome trip. I see you are sailing on Allure in a couple days. I want to sail Allure or Oasis at least once. Hasn't worked out for us financially as yet, but crossing fingers that we will soon. Have a great trip.

Gotcha. Hmm...way to make it confusing and hard to plan. :rolleyes:

Yes it can be very confusing. We used our debit which is linked to our checking account last cruise. We had enough money in the account for our onboard purchases and a couple bills that were due to be withdrawn while away. I used internet access a few days to check the account and it was in the negative. Everytime a purchase onboard was made it was debited from the account and a hold in the same amount was also there so essentially the charge was there twice. Once there was a larger hold on the account. I have overdraft protection on the account so I wasnt too worried even though it was confusing. It did work itself out at the end. At the time my bank didnt charge to use overdraft protection, but now they do :eek: To me that defeats the purpose of overdraft protection. So basically if my account gets overdrawn my bank will round off the amount my account is overdrawn to the nearest dollar to bring my account out of the negative and then tack on an extra $10 fee for them doing that. That is why definitely not using a debit card this year

Or leave it on the credit card and pay it off when you get home. We've probably spent 100 nights in very expensive hotels over the past 10 years for FREE using credit card points. I really don't get the reason to pay in cash and not take advantage of some of the many CC plans......

Or free air! We flew free last February and will fly free in November, next February and winter 2016, all because we did what you suggest. Having said that, the one thing I do like to pay cash for is my on board account. I budget what we'll spend and on day one I plunk it down there. I don't want any surprises getting off the ship.

I don't really know since I use the credit card. But, when we have gone by on the final morning, there are LONG lines waiting. Everyone who sees some problem with the paper statement delivered to the room is down there in line...