NCL jewel swimming pool questions (Alaska)

Setting sail to Alaska on NCL jewel in just 10 days!!! I'm very excited! Have not been on a cruise since 2008. My first question is, are the swimming pools heated? My kids are 9 and 4 both love to swim. Do people actually swim in the pools while cruising to Alaska? My second question concerns excursions. We are cruising to Juneau, Skagway, Keitchan, Victoria. These excursions are expensive for us as a family of 4. We're definitely interested in taking a train ride in Skagway & will most likely book through NCL but at the other ports will we be able to secure excursions with other local tour groups? Thank you for your response in advance.

I sailed on the Jewel to Alaska in June last year . The pools are heated and they use the salt water . Most days it was too windy for anyone to enjoy the pool , we only really swam once, but the hot tubs were always full.

I recommend Mt. Robert's tram in Juneau and walking from the pier through town to downtown Victoria (about a 30 minute leisurely walk with a Starbucks about halfway to downtown Victoria ) .

Have fun!

Last season, we enjoyed a real pool day on the Jewel, during a sea day...the pool deck was packed, folks were sunning, bikinis were out...about 72 degrees and amazing. It can happen there.

If you can swing the train ride in Skagway, I'd seriously recommend it. I have some pics you might be interested in my review from last year...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916287

Have fun!

We swam without issue. The breeze when you exit, now that's another story. I second the train in Skagway! Fantastic trip. Every stop will have vendors who will offer you trips. All of them will ensure you get back on time.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

I recommend Mt. Robert's tram in Juneau and walking from the pier through town to downtown Victoria (about a 30 minute leisurely walk with a Starbucks about halfway to downtown Victoria ) .

Have fun!

I second both of these recommendations. Victoria is very pretty and the climate makes it very nice to walk. In Juneau, we also took the bus to Mendenhall Gracier (brought tickets on the pier) to see the gracier and hike to the waterfall. I read here the bus is now $20 round trip per person now.

Walking along the creek to Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan is nice too.

Enjoy!

Tammy

While I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from enjoying the cruise ports, I would like to offer a contrary viewpoint on the train. I was on the Disney Wonder and went with my BIL and nephew on the Skagway train. Understanding that I am a native of and currently live in Seattle, my viewpoint is certainly skewed by our geography. The views on the train were nice, but not any different than what you see driving on I-90 away from Seattle and toward the Cascade mountains. At least if you drive I-90 you can stop at the wonderful Snoqualmie Falls. Except for a few birds, we saw no animals on the train ride. My 9 year old nephew (who has spent his whole life in Seattle) slept during the train ride.

I know many do enjoy the terrestrial views and depending on your expectations, you may too...

We saw a mother bear with her two cubs on the train ride but that was it. Nonetheless, as a Washington resident myself, I found the train ride to be fun. The history of the pass and the views are worth it, IMO. Seriously, if you've never been to Alaska and don't know if you'll make it back, I highly recommend it.

Setting sail to Alaska on NCL jewel in just 10 days!!! I'm very excited! Have not been on a cruise since 2008. My first question is, are the swimming pools heated? My kids are 9 and 4 both love to swim. Do people actually swim in the pools while cruising to Alaska? My second question concerns excursions. We are cruising to Juneau, Skagway, Keitchan, Victoria. These excursions are expensive for us as a family of 4. We're definitely interested in taking a train ride in Skagway & will most likely book through NCL but at the other ports will we be able to secure excursions with other local tour groups? Thank you for your response in advance.

I am from Victoria and will be on your sailing with my sister and niece from Toronto. My niece will likely meet your 9 year old in kids club. No need to do excursions in Victoria. Lots to do within 20 minutes walk.

To the left you will get to Fisherman's wharf where you can take harbour ferry to downtown (Inner Harbour). The annual Classic Boat Festival will be on starting the Friday August 29. The IMAX theater (6 stories high) along with the Vikings exhibit at the Royal B.C. museum are worth a visit.

To the right of Ogden Point (Port of Victoria) is the good diving area. A 10 to 15 minutes walk you will get to Mile Zero and Terry Fox statue. Anither 10 to 15 minutes you will be in Beacon Hill Park and the Petting Zoo. Get there by 4:30 pm to have a visit with all the animals. At 5:10 P.M. see the goat stamped. From there walk along Douglas Street and you will be at the back of Royal BC musem and Fairmont Empress hotel/Inner Harbour.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

In Ketchikan you can do a duck tour by buying at the pier which tours town then goes into the water for a ride around.

Juneau once you get into town there are numerous tour companies including those that will take you to the glacier for reasonable prices.

The White Pass RR is superb, with the interest. I disagree with the I5 comment. Have no clue what that is about? The scenery from the train vs the Klondike Highway is only common for a few miles, it is superior otherwise compared to the road. The combo tours are also excellent to consider and offer even more touring.

I suggest you research what touring is available by looking over a shore excursion list. Alaska isn't the Caribbean, where you just get in a cab or bus and be "shown" the sights. There is a wide range of activities to consider. Way more than a drive by. I don't really recommend just getting off the ship, then walking to the booths to then decide what you are going to do. First, it is very limited what is available at this late point, and you are using valuable port time arranging this. Knowing in advance is a time saver. I'm also an advocate of touring in Alaska, for me, it's half your trip. Along this same line- it isn't the place to skimp either. Again, my opinion, and how I travel when there. :)

It is paradise, enjoy the vastness and beauty, experience "Alaska". :)

In Ketchikan we took the city bus to Totem Bight Park and back, very inexpensive.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Then we rode the bus back to downtown and walked around. We went in August too, thousand of Salmon swimming in the creek.

In Juneau we also took the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Only costs a couple of dollars round trip and buses run every hour or so so you can stay as long as you like. Take the little walk along the boardwalk and you might just see some bears.

Enjoy your trip, we absolutely love Alaska. :)