Houston transfers

jenifferf00

Asking this to help my mom out. She and her sisters are flying into Houston and staying overnight before they cruise out of Port of Houston. They need to book a hotel and transportation to port. Does NCL have any hotel/transfer programs for Houston?

I'm trying to find an easy and cost effective way for them to get to the ship and back to the airport. It looks like renting a car and doing a shuttle van are about the same price, however I think a shuttle would be easier. Also which would be better. A hotel near the airport and a longer shuttle ride the day of the cruise. Or a shuttle ride to a hotel closer to port, and a short cab ride the day of.

Thanks for the help!

I've been researching this for a cruise out of the Port of Houston on Princess. I found the Port of Houston's website to have some useful info on the FAQs:

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/frequently-asked-questions/

I don't think there is any easy and/or inexpensive way to get from the airport (whether it be HOU or IAH) to the Port. The following link from NCL indicates that it might be possible to get a transfer from the airport to the hotel. http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/getting-to-the-pier#transfers

If this is, in fact, possible, then I would recommend going to a hotel near the Port which offers a shuttle to the Port. Then, the next day they can shuttle from the hotel to the Port. (You aren't going to find any hotels near the Port which offer shuttles from HOU or IAH due to the distance.)

If NCL doesn't offer a pre-cruise transfer to a hotel near the Port, I would probably find a hotel near the airport which has a shuttle. Then they can shuttle to the hotel when they arrive and either take a taxi the next day or shuttle back to the airport and take a NCL transfer to the ship. (I have found that Princess charges $24 per person for the transfer, so if NCL charges a similar amount, it would be cheaper than a taxi unless your mother's group is big (5 or more).

And finally, it would always be better to take transportation to the Port (or a hotel near the Port) on a weekend as opposed to a weekday due to traffic.

FYI - I am sailing in November and booked (with NCL) a hotel/transfer as part of my package (first time doing this). The incremental cost of hotel/transfer vs. the standalone cruise price was what I expected to pay for the hotel alone, and my PCC added some perks to even help offset the price difference . .love her!

The hotel I am booked in is the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oak, 2712 Southwest Freeway.

Hope this helps!

We've also booked the hotel/

Transfer through NCL. Flying into Hobby and we are booked into the Courtyard Marriott near the airport. What kind of perks did you get from your PCC?? I'll have to give mine a call!

FYI - I am sailing in November and booked (with NCL) a hotel/transfer as part of my package (first time doing this). The incremental cost of hotel/transfer vs. the standalone cruise price was what I expected to pay for the hotel alone, and my PCC added some perks to even help offset the price difference . .love her!

The hotel I am booked in is the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oak, 2712 Southwest Freeway.

Hope this helps!

Just so you aren't surprised, the Growne Plaza Houston River Oaks is no where near the Port nor near River Oaks! LOL

Edited by Clay Clayton

Thanks everyone for your help. We priced it out with Super Shuttle and Best Western from Houston International with round trip and via NCL for hotel and round trip. NCL was $30 more PP, however it was much more convenient so they went with the NCL transfer. Thans all!

We spoke to our PCC last night. NCL does offer transfer from Hobby at $35 from the airport to the port. I did not inquire about the price from Bush, as we are not landing there. However, because we are arriving a day early AND we have already booked a hotel on our own near NASA, this option won't work for us. NCL uses and recommends Ground Link, their phone # is 1-877-546-6146.

Since we are traveling as a party of 6 and do not wish to take two taxis and divide our group of kids/parent/gradparents, an SUV might be the best option for us. I've checked around to numerous companies and the prices are all very similar...pricey!!!:eek:

We have flown into Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and New Orleans. We have severe sticker shock about the transportation prices in Houston!!! Maybe this information can be helpful to others who have not booked their hotel. I wish we would have investigated costs before jumping into booking the hotel so early. It looks as though the cost from Hobby to the NASA hotel area and then the hotel to the port for 6 people, 7 pieces of luggage in an SUV/Van will cost us just under $300 all fees and tips included! OUCH! The plus side to our transportation story is NCL is paying (like we didn't already pay for it in our cruise fare, hehe) for our limo ride post cruise, from the port to Hobby as we are staying in the Garden Villa.

Thanks everyone for your help. We priced it out with Super Shuttle and Best Western from Houston International with round trip and via NCL for hotel and round trip. NCL was $30 more PP, however it was much more convenient so they went with the NCL transfer. Thans all!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the transfer from Houston International to the Pier offered by NCL. How much is super Shuttle?

Thanks,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the transfer from Houston International to the Pier offered by NCL. How much is super Shuttle?

Thanks,

They are doing a hotel and transfer. Price break down was

NCL:

Hotel w/ transfer to port $85 pp

Transfer from port to airport $45 pp

Super shuttle:

$85 for 3 adults from pier to airport or from airport to hotel. (Shared shuttle)

How it worked for them

Stand alone hotel $120 + $85 transfer + $85 transfer = $290 total

NCL hotel and transfer to port $255 + $135 transfer = $390 total

they could have also done $255 + 1 way super shuttle $85 = $340

But the idea of being in NCL's hands the whole way was appealing and less stressful to them. Which I totally understand.

The extra $100 split 3 ways was worth it for less "what if" aspect.

ETA: Hotel is Mariott at Houston International Airport. Hotel at Houston Hobby was $65 pp with transfer.

Edited by jenifferf00
ETA additional info

Ours was just hotel to the pier through NCL. They do sell a transfer from pier back to airport. I think it's $35 pp. Then you can catch the free hotel shuttle. Check out the Port of Houston link in a previous post for options coming and going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by snow1
More Info