Upgrade/upsell tips

Arod1313

I'll be sailing the Ecstasy this Monday. Prices have dropped over the last couple months and are the lowest I've seen for all categories I've seen. Seems like a lot of rooms still available after a quick search. Right now I have an OV room but wouldn't mind a balcony for the right price. It may not be possible but does anyone have any tips of how to "play the game" when calling to upgrade or negotiate an upgrade price? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look up what the balconies are running compared to what you paid and find one that you would like. Call Carnival and see if they will upgrade you for free (if the price is the same or less than what you have already paid). If it's more, then ask how much and if it sounds right, then go for it.

I wouldn't wait for them to call you if you have your heart set on a balcony. Won't hurt to find out what they say. Call them now.

It all depends on the rate you booked, and current promos or sales for your cruise if any. I'd just call and ask what are my options for upgrading to a balcony. You may get one for free or at a small amount. I have upgraded from IS to BL for anywhere from between zero dollars and $120, which at the time was rock bottom due to prices dropping. Just call and see, and hope everything works out with your upgrade/self upsell.

Looks like there are still 15 balconies available for this sailing. And wow - $129/pp for an interior.

You actually don't know how many cabins are left, unless they've already started to assign GTYs. 14 of those cabins could be earmarked for the GTYs and they're leaving open all of them in case someone wants to pay $$$ to select their cabin.

We upgraded ourselves last night from 6B&C OVs to GTY Balconies for $40. It was basically free for us since we had promo gift cards laying around from the Father's Day promotion. Before last night Balconies had been running $300-$400 more than OVs.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

It may not be possible but does anyone have any tips of how to "play the game" when calling to upgrade or negotiate an upgrade price? Thanks!

Whomever you will be speaking to when you call Carnival will be a CSR who will not be able to offer you any negotiated special pricing on upgrades other than what is in their system. You have to research any current specials and figure out if they are worth it for you to upgrade yourself to.

Regardless of what code you booked under just say that you see that the prices have dropped and can you get OBC. I did this in June and was upgraded for free, as was my sister's cabin. ( we were not booked early saver but I could not recall what rate we booked under). This was a pleasant surprise!

We are booked on the Freedom Sept.22, 2014, and we booked an ocean view room under early saver,the price of a Balcony (a different category) had dropped to the same price, I call my PVP and he upgraded us to a Balcony! We only had to pay about $17.00 worth of Taxes more! Was well worth it!

They would only do it for 539pp. The rate of 369pp is for new bookings only which I would have been interested in for that price. (I originally paid 329 for an OV) Tried twice. Got same response both times. Ahh well. May try a third later and ask to talk to a supervisor but prob a list cause.

You actually don't know how many cabins are left, unless they've already started to assign GTYs. 14 of those cabins could be earmarked for the GTYs and they're leaving open all of them in case someone wants to pay $$$ to select their cabin.

The cruise is in 3 days. Quite sure they have "started" assigning them at least.