Celebrity Press Release 8/14/14 - Onboard Bookings

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Here's today's Celebrity Press Release :

-------------------------------------------------

New Instant Onboard Credit Up To $500,

Plus “Evergreen 123Go!” Promotion - Available Exclusively At Sea

MIAMI – Aug. 14, 2014 Celebrity Cruises' unique onboard booking program, “Celebrity Future Cruise Vacations”, is now giving guests the chance to enjoy an instant onboard credit of up to $500. Simply by booking a future Celebrity cruise while onboard a Celebrity cruise, guests can immediately receive the credit to spend during their current cruise or they have the option to use it when on a future Celebrity vacation. The offer, now available on the majority of Celebrity’s ships, also is combinable with one of the benefits from the year-round “Evergreen 123Go!” promotion - a choice of a free “Classic Beverage Package”, free gratuities or up to an additional $300 in onboard credit.

“We want our guests to have a fantastic vacation and by booking a future cruise onboard, they can decide when they would like to receive their onboard credit - now or later - it’s up to them," said Dondra Ritzenthaler, SVP, Sales, Trade Support and Services, Celebrity Cruises. “Plus, reservations made onboard will be credited right back to the guest’s preferred travel professional.”

"Our guests want choice and the best offers, so now is the perfect time to book a future cruise with us. We are currently rolling out the program to the remaining ships, so that all vacationers can take advantage of this great promotion," said Grant Van Ulbrich, Director, Onboard Cruise Sales, Celebrity Cruises.

The new offer is currently available to vacationers sailing onboard Celebrity Silhouette, Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Equinox. The new offer will be launched to Celebrity Century, Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Infinity, and Celebrity Millennium by the end of August. Guests can book the exclusive promotion by visiting the Celebrity Future Cruise Vacations team during their sailing and choosing the "Cruise Now" option, which offers the following benefits:

· *Deposits from $50 to $500 per stateroom

· *Instant onboard credit from $50 to $500 per stateroom or receive it during a future cruise

· *No additional deposits for suites

· *Specific stateroom selection

· *Combinability with Evergreen 123Go! at sea

· *Flexible and changeable

· *Reservations automatically credited to preferred travel partner

* Terms and conditions apply. For more information, visit celebrityonboardcruisesales.com

About Celebrity Cruises:

Celebrity Cruises’ iconic “X” is the mark of modern luxury, with its cool, contemporary design and warm spaces; dining experiences where the design of the venues is as important as the cuisine; and the amazing service that only Celebrity can provide, all created to provide an unmatchable experience for vacationers’ precious time. Celebrity’s 11 ships offer modern luxury vacations visiting all seven continents, and present immersive cruisetour experiences in Alaska and Canada. Celebrity is one of six cruise brands operated by global cruise vacation company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSE: RCL). For more information, dial 1-800-437-3111, visit www.celebritycruises.com, or call your travel agent.

Hi Everyone,

Looks like the test program is going fleetwide. I wonder if the deposits are still non-refundable, as reported by others. Also wondering if either of the previous onboard programs were eliminated.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Looks like the test program is going fleetwide. I wonder if the deposits are still non-refundable, as reported by others. Also wondering if either of the previous onboard programs were eliminated.

If you choose to take the OBC on your current cruise I am certain the deposit would be non-refundable. If not Celebrity better be prepared to lose a lot of $$$$:D

Interesting.

To me the obvious question is: what happens if I book onboard, take the OBC on the current cruise and use it, and then later cancel the booking??? Maybe if I have time while I'm on board the Connie, I'll ask.

Linda

Your deposit is not refunded as you used the OBC, and everything comes out even.

Interesting.

To me the obvious question is: what happens if I book onboard, take the OBC on the current cruise and use it, and then later cancel the booking??? Maybe if I have time while I'm on board the Connie, I'll ask.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I know what you mean. When the program was tested on one of the ships, other CC members mentioned the deposit was non-refundable. If so, I suspect Celebrity protects themselves in some way.

At any rate, I hope the older programs (Book Now or Book Later), will remain. If not, our days of booking onboard are over - at least with this program.

Edited by Host Andy

My question would be about OBC amounts changing if I were to change the cabin category that I've booked. Example: I book a veranda onboard and choose OBC for the future cruise. If I later upgrade to Aqua Class would I need to increase the deposit and then receive a larger OBC for that sailing? Or would the OBC stay the same as well as the deposit? What if I originally booked AC and then downgraded to a veranda?

It's all so confusing to think about. All those original questions we had about this program remain.

If you choose to take the OBC on your current cruise I am certain the deposit would be non-refundable. If not Celebrity better be prepared to lose a lot of $$$$:D

Yup. There's got to be a hook :)

I wonder if you dont take the OBC, if the deposit is refundable ? I truly hope they leave the older programs as an option.

OK so you book your cruise and put a 200 deposit. You get that as your OBC immediately. And your credit card is immediately charged. If you cancel you're a wash. No refund b/c you've already gotten your $200 deposit as the OBC.

So you pay your $200, you get it back, and that's it. If you cruise nothing happens b/c you've already got that OBC and if you don't cruise, nothing happens b/c you already got your OBC.

PS: Tom (Prim8keeper) was able to withdraw cash at that time b/c he already had significant OBC. So it's essentially like a "free deposit" b/c though you PAY it on your Credit card, you immediately get it back.

My question would be about OBC amounts changing if I were to change the cabin category that I've booked. Example: I book a veranda onboard and choose OBC for the future cruise. If I later upgrade to Aqua Class would I need to increase the deposit and then receive a larger OBC for that sailing? Or would the OBC stay the same as well as the deposit? What if I originally booked AC and then downgraded to a veranda?

It's all so confusing to think about. All those original questions we had about this program remain.

I also think it's confusing, and I wish they had left well enough alone. Celebrity finally had the Onboard programs in a place where most everyone was happy, the lines were out the door, and they had to hire more people to handle the demand. Guess that wasn't good enough, but I hope it all works out well for Celebrity.

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks for including the info right in your post instead of making us click on a link to read further details.

Hi April29,

Thank you for your comments. I always try to do it that way, to make it as easy as possible for our members.

I also think it's confusing, and I wish they had left well enough alone. Celebrity finally had the Onboard programs in a place where most everyone was happy, the lines were out the door, and they had to hire more people to handle the demand. Guess that wasn't good enough.

Amazing what happens when you try to reinvent the wheel. Seriously.

Andy Since Mr Bayley came on board everything seems to be related to marketing. So is this program change.

Look it this way:

Old program book a cruise put down refundable deposit $100 per person. Receive a variable OBC to be used on the cruise booked. Probably was many cancellations and refunds which require processing and thus expense. With no profit for Celebrity.

New program:

Book a cruise put down a deposit which can be used as an OBC on your current cruise. No refund if you cancel thus no processing cost for Celebrity. Plus when you use the OBC on your current cruise Celebrity is making a profit on your purchases.

It really is a good marketing program for Celebrity, but as in any change some folks won't like it. There does seem to still be a choice however in electing to take the OBC on your future cruise which then should make the deposit refundable.

Andy Since Mr Bayley came on board everything seems to be related to marketing. So is this program change.

Look it this way:

Old program book a cruise put down refundable deposit $100 per person. Receive a variable OBC to be used on the cruise booked. Probably was many cancellations and refunds which require processing and thus expense. With no profit for Celebrity.

New program:

Book a cruise put down a deposit which can be used as an OBC on your current cruise. No refund if you cancel thus no processing cost for Celebrity. Plus when you use the OBC on your current cruise Celebrity is making a profit on your purchases.

It really is a good marketing program for Celebrity, but as in any change some folks won't like it. There does seem to still be a choice however in electing to take the OBC on your future cruise which then should make the deposit refundable.

Hi Maxsales,

As long as Celebrity offers some way to bypass the non-refundable part, and hopefully some OBC on a future cruise, I'd be fine with their new structure. For some, non-refundable deposits become an issue.... but I do understand that if you pay a 200.00 deposit, and you get 200 OBC immediately, then nothing is really lost. But still, you know how some can be set in their ways. I'd like to keep booking many future cruises, but I know that when I mention the words "non-refundable deposit" to family and friends, they will all say no.

Hopefully, the Celebrity rep will share some insights with us.

Edited by Host Andy

Am I remembering incorrectly ? I thought the FCC were non refundable anyway , you could just transfer them as you can do with this new version ?

Actual cruises booked, not certificates have always been refundable deposits.

We have not booked on board since Silhouette March 2012. Now we only book after final payment, mostly 6-8 weeks out. There's no incentive for us to book on board.

Counter point. We only book on board, extra OBC plus reduced deposit combinable with an additional perk. What's not to love? :):)

Thank you Andy for helping get the message out.

This is brand new addition to our program. We now have 3 options for our Guests. At the end of the day, the offers belong to the guests and we want them to have it the way they want.

Cruise Now has two versions. The Cruise Now Instant OBC program is our main program that will be advertised onboard. A few key items have changed. The deposits have become even lower for all staterooms and are now based on the entire stateroom, not per person. Guests will place a non-refundable deposit from $50 to $500 to hold the stateroom regardless of the number of occupants. That's a great benefit when you consider on shore you would normally place up to $1,800 deposit for a Suite with 2 guests. In return, we will match that deposit and give it right back to the guests as an added benefit to spend however they wish while on their current cruise. So the guest doesn't lose out at all. If they are not able to spend the entire onboard credit during the cruise (which i'm sure you can with all the great services and products available) then at the end of the voyage it will be refunded back to them as they choose. And for the next voyage, guests will also enjoy another benefit from our 123go! program. We did this because our guests were wanting the freedom to be rewarded instantly vs. having to wait for their next cruise.

Many guests will want to purchase additional staterooms for their friends and family at home. So we've kept the structure of the old program in place. Guests can purchase up to 2 additional staterooms for friends or family by placing a $100 refundable deposit (Suites extra) and receive up to $500 OBC and 123go! on their next cruise.

And of course we still have our Cruise Later gift program where for just $100 you can give a Celebrity Cruise voucher to anyone of your choosing. They will enjoy up to $200 onboard credit and the ability to combine with another offer on land of their choice.

This is the result of many focus groups with our guests fleet wide and on land. We've adapted our programs to suit their requests and needs. That's Modern Luxury.

To view our program you can go to http://www.celebrityonboardcruisesales.com for the latest offers, terms and conditions, and shipboard flyers.

Hi Maxsales,

As long as Celebrity offers some way to bypass the non-refundable part, and hopefully some OBC on a future cruise, I'd be fine with their new structure. For some, non-refundable deposits become an issue.... but I do understand that if you pay a 200.00 deposit, and you get 200 OBC immediately, then nothing is really lost. But still, you know how some can be set in their ways. I'd like to keep booking many future cruises, but I know that when I mention the words "non-refundable deposit" to family and friends, they will all say no.

Hopefully, the Celebrity rep will share some insights with us.

Andy, as I read it you have a choice. You can take the OBC on your current cruise or defer it to the future cruise. My guess is that by deferring the deposit to the future cruise the deposit would then be refundable.

I printed off the T & C for all programs, which are: (3 Options)

CRUISE NOW - Exactly the same as was before the "test" program

(Deposit IS refundable if cruise cancelled before final payment)

CRUISE LATER - Same as before

(Deposit is NON refundable)

INSTANT OBC PROGRAM - NEW - Deposit schedule is the same as the OBC schedule -

(Deposit is NON refundable)

**You may change your ship or sail date, but your OBC is subject to repayment out of your onboard deposit if you book a lower category or shorter sailing. Program applicable to new individual bookings made after May 8, 2014.

Hope this helps some of you who had questions.

http://www.celebrityonboardcruisesales.com/

See Onboard Collateral at the bottom of the page and select Terms and Conditions.

Edited by gimletgal

Hi Everyone,

Celebrity : Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to hear that you are offering a new choice, and even more pleased to learn that the refundable deposit option will remain. Thanks very much for sharing with us !

Edited by Host Andy