Traveler's Checks

custompcsys

Hi All....leaving on the CB tomorrow (yay!) and its been a while since I've been on board. If I remember correctly passenger services used to cash traveler's check for you in addition to accepting them for payment on your shipboard account....is that still the case? I've always worried about carrying a lot of cash and then having something happen. Thanks! :)

We were on the Emerald last month and used Traveler's Checks to pay our bill.

Susan

Thanks :) Were you able to cash a traveler's check as well? BTW I grew up in Bloomfield and had many a part-time job in Wayne at the Willowbrook mall :)

We always carry them for cruising. Like you, we don't like to carry large amounts of cash especially when we're touring pre-cruise. They can be cashed easily onboard and also be used to settle your final payment.

Hi All....leaving on the CB tomorrow (yay!) and its been a while since I've been on board. If I remember correctly passenger services used to cash traveler's check for you in addition to accepting them for payment on your shipboard account....is that still the case? I've always worried about carrying a lot of cash and then having something happen. Thanks! :)

Passenger Services on the Ruby was more than happy to cash traveler's cheques (or accept them as a deposit to our shipboard account). I don't imagine that there would be any issue on the CB.

Yes no problem.

can you cash in various currencies too? Or only in USD?

I know they will only give you USD for US travelers' checks. I've never used them in any other currency.

If you want to change the USD to another currency you have to use the currency exchange machine onboard or use something else on shore.

Thanks :) Were you able to cash a traveler's check as well? BTW I grew up in Bloomfield and had many a part-time job in Wayne at the Willowbrook mall :)

Me too!! I still live nearby in Clifton. BHS Class of '73 - GO BENGALS!!! :D:D

You may now return to your previously scheduled thread. ;)

I doubt anyones request would exeed the vessels cash on hand.
I've been on at least one cruise (many years ago) when the ship did run out of cash so while I know you're joking, it wasn't at the time. It took a couple of days for a special packet of cash to get to the ship.

Traveler's Checks? Wow. The 50's are calling. Use your black, rotary dial phone to take the call please. :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Ok I'm an old fart, so shoot me :p And yes I remember when the first 2 digits of our phone number were alpha characters that stood for a word, like Pilgrim (PI) 3 or Murrayhill 7 -xxxx. :D

Having admitted to my advanced age, it may be old fashioned, but if I lose them or get pickpocketed I can get a refund. After having it happen in St. Petersburg I'm a bit paranoid. I was very lucky I ran into a thief with a conscience and when he found that all he had was my passport holder with my passport in it he actually gave it back! Don't think I will be that lucky with cash.

Ok I'm an old fart, so shoot me :p And yes I remember when the first 2 digits of our phone number were alpha characters that stood for a word, like Pilgrim (PI) 3 or Murrayhill 7 -xxxx. :D

Having admitted to my advanced age, it may be old fashioned, but if I lose them or get pickpocketed I can get a refund. After having it happen in St. Petersburg I'm a bit paranoid. I was very lucky I ran into a thief with a conscience and when he found that all he had was my passport holder with my passport in it he actually gave it back! Don't think I will be that lucky with cash.

I was just having a little fun poking at the travelers checks. No meanness intended. My kids and grandkids think I'm a dinosaur in many ways.

My phone number used to be FI 2-9194 (FI stood for Fireside). :) There were 48 stars on the flag. We said the pledge of allegiance every day and it was the full version before they decided to remove that "offensive phrase". :eek: I remember when they added an extra digit to my drivers license number. We rode in the back of pickups. We always drank out of the hose rather than go inside. TV was black and white - period. We went to the theater and watched movies in black and white - two movies plus a cartoon. We stayed outside until we decided whoever was hollering at us to come in really meant it this time. You remember - before the world got so dang weird.

I AM NOT OLD!!!!! (Really, I'm not.)

I haven't had a travelers check in many years. I just carry a limited amount of cash and my plastic.

As I tell my users when they ask me what is the "right" way to do something: There are always at least 3 ways to do anything with Windows. The "right" way is the one that works for you and that you can remember. The "right" way for my users is rarely the way I do things but it works for them, they can remember how to do it that way, and it reduces their stress level. For you the "right" way is to carry travelers checks. I wouldn't try to tell you any different. :D

I was just having a little fun poking at the travelers checks. No meanness intended. My kids and grandkids think I'm a dinosaur in many ways.

No meanness taken at all :) Was just fessing up to what my daughter tells me on a weekly basis :)

Me too!! I still live nearby in Clifton. BHS Class of '73 - GO BENGALS!!! :D:D

You may now return to your previously scheduled thread. ;)

As in Bernard's High class of 73? If so, you are a classmate of mine!

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As in Bernard's High class of 73? If so, you are a classmate of mine!

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unfortunately no, Bloomfield High School ...... but I know how old you are...LOL :D