Help! booking an early flight home out of Miami ?

I have 2 options........an 11:30 AM or 4:00 PM flight home. Needless to say I would much prefer the early flight. The Radiance's itinerary says shes back in Miami at 8:30 AM.

My thought is that it would be faster getting off the ship, flagging a cab, and less conjestion at the airport with early disembarking status.

How often is there a delay that would prevent me from making that early flight?

There is a penalty for missing the early flight .......and if I book the 4:00 and can make the 11:30 there is a $50 charge to fly earlier, which I'd rather not do.

What are your experiences, sugggestions and thoughts? Thanks!

I have 2 options........an 11:30 AM or 4:00 PM flight home. Needless to say I would much prefer the early flight. The Radiance's itinerary says shes back in Miami at 8:30 AM.

My thought is that it would be faster getting off the ship, flagging a cab, and less conjestion at the airport with early disembarking status.

There is a penalty for missing the early flight .......and if I book the 4:00 and can make the 11:30 there is a $50 charge to fly earlier, which I'd rather not do.

Getting off the Radiance in February was a painless experience - but we were in no rush either. Personally, I would not book an 11:30am flight - it would make the whole disembarkation process a stressfull one for me. Since you have the option, why not just book the 4:00pm flight and then you have no worries about making it to the airport on time.

Book the later flight. Sometimes customs can come in and work their magic and cause a late departure. The last time I cruised we had the later flight, but got to the airport real early in the day. We talked to the folks at the reservation desk and they were able to get us on an earlier flight and didn't charge us a penny.

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread. We have a 12:30 flight out of Miami!! Now I'm starting to think maybe that wasn't such a good choice. Not that the choices we had were overflowing.....(go Delta skymiles program!) I wonder what or if they will charge us IF we can even get a later flight?? Anyone have any tricks up thier sleeve when it comes to using skymiles??

Having missed an 11:40 flight coming off of Voyager in January, I say take the later flight. You probably could make the 11:30 flight, but why stress and risk missing it. Take the later flight and maybe do a little sightseeing around Miami before you go to the airport.

As to a charge, I was not charged by AA for being put onto a later flight. However, there was only 1 seat available that day to get me home (and that was in business class). If I had been traveling with somebody, we would've been out of luck.

Guest cruzr44

I personally would go for the 11:30 flight. Most recently we got off the Radiance in Miami at 7:15 and we were at the FLL airport at 9:30. In the past we have always been at the airport two hours before our flights (all before noon). So if you are getting off in Miami and flying out of Miami I think 11:30 is fine. If for some reason you find you will not make the flight, call the airline and let them know so they don't assume you are just a no show. I always just go with the earlier flight knowing that I MAY not make it.

We made an 11:30 flight with no problem. In fact, we were at the gate before they started boarding the flight before ours. We had plenty of time to grab something to eat, hit the restrooms and work on organizing and labeling our pictures using our laptop. We had been on an E. Carib. cruise on Explorer last November.

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread. We have a 12:30 flight out of Miami!! Now I'm starting to think maybe that wasn't such a good choice. Not that the choices we had were overflowing.....(go Delta skymiles program!) I wonder what or if they will charge us IF we can even get a later flight?? Anyone have any tricks up thier sleeve when it comes to using skymiles??

12:30 is perfect! Don't change

iumaddog, if you're debarking in Fort Lauderdale there shouldn't be a problem at all. It can be a hassle getting from the pier in Fort Lauderdale to the airport on a Saturday in the winter due to the number of ships debarking passengers. Debarking in Miami with a flight from Fort Lauderdale at 1:55 PM you would probably still be OK under normal circumstances.

For our January '05 cruise on the Radience we had flights in and out of Ft. Lauderdale. We booked flights at 12:30. When the cruise documents came a letter was enclosed from RCCL warning that the customs time had been extended and we should not expect the ship to begin disembarkation until after 11:00. OMG! We immediately changed our flights (loosing a first class upgrade!) and rebooked for after 3:00. To make a long story short the ship was cleared by 8:30, (disembarkation was not well organized, and somewhat slow) but we got on the bus and were in FLL by 11:00! What a waste. You should be fine with 12:30 flights - but if you're an anxious person, take the later flight. BTW, tell them your flight is earlier so you get the first color tags off the ship. Enjoy your cruise - we loved it! Especially the unexpected stop in San Juan - seas were too high to go to the private island!

I think you will have NO PROBLEM getting the 11:30. we disembarked the NOS 3 weeks ago at 7:05am and caught a 9:00am flight out of Miami. Make sure that you carry your own luggage off and go and wait where they let people off (not sure where that is on the Radiance) as soon as the ship is cleared they will open the rope and you can head off....

I would highly suggest the later flight. We got off the explorer on 7/31 (miami) and getting your luggage from the cruise terminal was not fun.... People were fighting amongst each other regarding "we're gonna miss our flights etc." Some were driving back to Ft.Lauderdale on an early flight and no way would have made their plane.

We had a later flight, arrived early at the airport and they wouldn't let us check in as it was too early, the man who was helping us went inside to check and managed to get us on an earlier flight, 45 mins. from then we were on the plane! Good luck!

12:30 will be o.k. 11:30 would have been pushing it.

Archived