First Disney Cruise Anxiety

MadMark

DW and I have never cruised Disney before. Ordinarily we are big planners when it comes to our vacations. We have both been so busy with work that we haven't been able to do any planning. I have done enough research to know that I am too late for some indoor golf time on the ship which I was looking forward to. We sail in early October. What advice would you give to a newby who needs to do at least a little planning before sailing? Please help.

DW and I have never cruised Disney before. Ordinarily we are big planners when it comes to our vacations. We have both been so busy with work that we haven't been able to do any planning. I have done enough research to know that I am too late for some indoor golf time on the ship which I was looking forward to. We sail in early October. What advice would you give to a newby who needs to do at least a little planning before sailing? Please help.

You don't need to do a lot of planning - just pack your clothes and get on the ship. DCL really makes it a relaxing trip for us.

Honestly that was kind of my thought. I was afraid that we would not be able to experience the cruise as much if we did not plan and reserve ahead of time. For example I know I want to do some snorkeling. Could I book those excursions on board or will they all be booked up by then?

Have you logged into DCL's site to check-in and pick a Port Arrival Time(PAT)?

Have you checked what reservations and excursions might still be available?

DCL's Port Adventure(excursion) page, for descriptions; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/

They hold back many reservations for booking aboard, like Palo, Remy, Sport Simulator, etc. Just go to Guest Services once aboard and sign up for available times. I'm confident you will get Golf Time. Have you seen the simulator?

Sport Simulator video;

This snorkeling tour is a favorite, but likely sold out since you are 47 days out. They don't hold back excursion bookings for onboard booking, but folks do cancel. They must by 3 days prior to sail or could be charged. So that may be a good time to check back if possible. There is a half day with just snorkeling and a full day that also includes beach time.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/st-thomas-st-john-us-virgin-islands/doubloon-turtle-cove-sail-and-snorkel/

There is plenty to do on your own. Both islands are easy to get transportation. Have you perused the Port of Call boards for ideas?

St Maarten; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

St Thomas; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Do you like planes? Maho is a must on St Maarten for many. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBmChT4KTs

HTH and relax. DCL makes it all so smooth whether you have extensive plans, or none.

Have you read the first two sticky threads on the main page?

Enjoy

What do I need to consider when choosing a day to book Palo dinner or Palo brunch? If I do Palo Dinner wouldn't that mean I would miss one of the other restaurants on our regular rotation? Perhaps since this is our first time on a Disney ship would it be advisable to just do the regular dinner rotation so we can experience each of those restaurants?

Have you logged into DCL's site to check-in and pick a Port Arrival Time(PAT)?

Have you checked what reservations and excursions might still be available?

DCL's Port Adventure(excursion) page, for descriptions; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/

They hold back many reservations for booking aboard, like Palo, Remy, Sport Simulator, etc. Just go to Guest Services once aboard and sign up for available times. I'm confident you will get Golf Time. Have you seen the simulator?

Sport Simulator video;

This snorkeling tour is a favorite, but likely sold out since you are 47 days out. They don't hold back excursion bookings for onboard booking, but folks do cancel. They must by 3 days prior to sail or could be charged. So that may be a good time to check back if possible. There is a half day with just snorkeling and a full day that also includes beach time.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/st-thomas-st-john-us-virgin-islands/doubloon-turtle-cove-sail-and-snorkel/

There is plenty to do on your own. Both islands are easy to get transportation. Have you perused the Port of Call boards for ideas?

St Maarten; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

St Thomas; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Do you like planes? Maho is a must on St Maarten for many. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBmChT4KTs

HTH and relax. DCL makes it all so smooth whether you have extensive plans, or none.

Have you read the first two sticky threads on the main page?

Enjoy

You can schedule port arrival time? wow I didn't know that! any advice regarding port arrival time?

AHHHH!!, so much confusion!

You can schedule port arrival time? wow I didn't know that! any advice regarding port arrival time?

At this late point the early PAT are probably not available. But that's fine. There are lines that form around 10am. Terminal doesn't open till 10:30am. Lines thin out around 11:30. The sweet spot for arriving and boarding immediately is 12:30 or so. That is when open boarding begins, meaning you don't have to wait for your boarding # to be called.

The earlier your PAT the earlier your boarding #. PAT's are tied to boarding times.

Are you coming in the day of cruise? Are you staying somewhere prior in FL?

You need your DCL Reservation # and need to log into DCL's site now and see what's available.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/my-reservations/my-online-check-in/

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/my-reservations/log-in-and-retrieve/

Just to confuse you some more. :p

Here are the possible dining rotations you could be assigned. You will be assigned one. It will be assigned when you check in and printed on your KTTW card. You won't know it in advance. Yes, it makes it difficult to plan.

Are you staying concierge by any chance?

R- Royal Court

A - Animators Palate

E - Enchanted Garden

RAERAER

AERAERA

ERAERAE

Night 1 - at sea - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP - Welcome Show(A Fantasy Come True)

Night 2 - at sea - Rotation menu [formal night] /Crush if in AP - Aladdin Show

Night 3 - at sea - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP - Wishes Show

Night 4 - St Maarten - Pirate menu/night - Movie in Theater

Night 5 - St Thomas - Prince & Princess menu / Animation if in AP - Magician/Comedian/etc for Show

Night 6 - at sea - Captain's Gala (lobster night)[semiformal night] / Animation if in AP - Believe Show

Night 7 - Castaway - See You Real Soon menu / Animation if in AP - Show ; An Unforgettable Journey

Your first visit to AP is the Crush Show. Your last visit is the drawing animation show. If in AP for Pirate Night they display Pirate themes on screens.

Edited by bear3412

Here is a great tutorial for online check-in; http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2012/09/online-check-in-port-arrival-time-dining-port-adventure-reservations-made-simple/

This site also has Personal Navigators to peruse and see what activities are available. There is one for each day.

Menus are located there too.

HTH

Edited by bear3412

You have been such a great help. Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Glad to help. Ask away. We are here to help.

Is it just you two, a couple?

Consider booking a Palo Brunch on a sea day, first thing once aboard.

Brunch times are available only on sea days from 10am - 12:30pm IRRC.

Normally folks rush to the podium between Palo and Remy once aboard to secure/tweak their reservations, due to the limited slots available prior online.

Check the mini Navigator they give you in the terminal after check-in to confirm the location for Palo dining ressies and changes. Occasionally the locale for such tweaks changes.

Then go to said locale and sign up for Palo Brunch on a sea day.

This is why the port is packed with lines prior to opening. Everyone wants an upgrade, or Palo/Remy reservation.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/?s=palo

HTH

We are not staying concierge. I have booked excursions for St. Thomas and St. Maartin. I tried to get palo brunch for sea day but all were filled. I will definitely try to do that as you stated once we get on board.

I was wondering what happens if you are late for your PAT? I would assume nothing, correct? We got an arrival time of noon. Whatever that means.

So I feel much better than I did this morning. It has been a Disney Cruise planning productive day! Thanks Bear.

I have booked excursions for St. Thomas and St. Maartin.

Awesome. Congrats.

I tried to get palo brunch for sea day but all were filled. I will definitely try to do that as you stated once we get on board.

As expected all Palo was fillled/booked. But almost half the time slots are still available aboard within the first eight hours. Make this your priority, booking Palo Brunch, aboard , IMO.

Check the little "Navigator" they give you in the terminal for the location for dining changes. There is a locale for MDR changes, then there is a locale for Palo/ Remy , which is different. Usually you need to get to deck 12 aft elevators then move aft into Palo/Remy. This is where you will add/adjust your ressie for Palo. Deck 12 aft. Just aft of aft elevators.

I was wondering what happens if you are late for your PAT?

Nothing. In fact arriving later has it's advantages. Arriving early is when an issue may occur.

I would assume nothing, correct? We got an arrival time of noon. Whatever that means.

Noon is good. The port opens at 10:30. Folks arrive way to early and stand in line from 10- 11. Lines thin out around noon or shortly thereafter.

open boarding begins at 12:30-1:00.

So I feel much better than I did this morning.

Me too.

It has been a Disney Cruise planning productive day! Thanks Bear.

Anytime. ;)

Sweet sailing. :)

DW and I struggled with whether we would drive or fly down. We finally settled on driving down a couple of days early. Then we debated, do we spend an afternoon/evening at epcot food and wine or do we just go on over to Port Canaveral area. We have decided to go on to port canaveral area (we have done the parks A LOT recently) and perhaps take advantage of one of those hotels that allows for cruise parking.

Does anyone have a strong recommendation of one hotel over another?

after my first couple DCL cruises, I learned what I just couldn't do without.

For dining, I never like missing the first night in each of the 3 dining rooms. So I book a Palo dinner after that. Brunch at Palo I book on the first "at sea" day of the cruise. Both of these you should do as soon as you get your reservation number by logging into the DCL online site.

Online cruise documents is faster than writing them out by hand, that is on the website too.

Want a relaxing day in the Rainforest room at the spa? Buy a day pass online. It is NOT in the spa section of activities, It is in the Stateroom Gifts section. Download the form and call the 800 number at the top. Have a credit card handy, its $18.88 including tips. An email confirmation will be sent to you and your pass will be in your room when you arrive. (there have been times when I could not book a single day on board, so now I buy it ahead of time)

If you can get to the port early, do. We're there waiting for the parking lot to open at 10AM and get checked in. We love to wonder around the adult areas, shops etc before the crowds show up later. And if you couldn't get the adult dining online (they limit pre-booking) go directly to where ever the Navigator tells you to go for booking as soon at they open.

Then sit back and relax. People keep asking why we keep doing the same cruises on DCL. Its to relax for a week, not run around site seeing. That's just us. (and we are adult cruisers with no kids ! )

after my first couple DCL cruises, I learned what I just couldn't do without.

For dining, I never like missing the first night in each of the 3 dining rooms. So I book a Palo dinner after that. Brunch at Palo I book on the first "at sea" day of the cruise. Both of these you should do as soon as you get your reservation number by logging into the DCL online site.

Online cruise documents is faster than writing them out by hand, that is on the website too.

Want a relaxing day in the Rainforest room at the spa? Buy a day pass online. It is NOT in the spa section of activities, It is in the Stateroom Gifts section. Download the form and call the 800 number at the top. Have a credit card handy, its $18.88 including tips. An email confirmation will be sent to you and your pass will be in your room when you arrive. (there have been times when I could not book a single day on board, so now I buy it ahead of time)

If you can get to the port early, do. We're there waiting for the parking lot to open at 10AM and get checked in. We love to wonder around the adult areas, shops etc before the crowds show up later. And if you couldn't get the adult dining online (they limit pre-booking) go directly to where ever the Navigator tells you to go for booking as soon at they open.

Then sit back and relax. People keep asking why we keep doing the same cruises on DCL. Its to relax for a week, not run around site seeing. That's just us. (and we are adult cruisers with no kids ! )

Tell me more about the rainforest room please! I have seen references to it, but am not clear as to exactly what it is. I have this image of a modern twist on Roman Baths! LOL! Please explain. And what is a good time to book for this? Morning? After lunch?

Did our first DCL cruise last Sept. I am a super planner. When I plan WDW trips i plan almost down to the minute. So when we planned the cruise, I tried to do the same thing, spreadsheets, charts, the whole 9. Looking back now, I wish I didnt. There was so much on the ship to do and see, i felt like i missed some stuff because i had planned other things for that time. Obviously excursions need to be booked if you have one you really want. Or if you want to try Palo or Remy those need to be booked ahead. But otherwise I enjoyed drinking coffee on the balcony, reviewing the navigator and seeing what we wanted to do that day (very out of character for me, planning something just hours ahead!)

We are going again in Dec and I really have nothing planned. I want to just get on board, plop myself in a pool chair and enjoy the day. :)

Tell me more about the rainforest room please! I have seen references to it, but am not clear as to exactly what it is. I have this image of a modern twist on Roman Baths! LOL! Please explain. And what is a good time to book for this? Morning? After lunch?

The Rainforest is different between the older Magic/Wonder and newer Dream/Fantasy. But in general, a day pass gets you access to all the steam rooms and scented showers (I think there are 3 of each), relaxing heated chairs all day long.

In addition, the new ships have more heated chairs and a private whirlpool, so nice! Really, its a space issue I am sure, the bigger ships just have more space. And their chairs and spa are facing outside for a view. The older ships are interior. Still very relaxing.

I like to go when the ship is docked because there is less competition for chairs. I even like to go on Castaway Cay day after lunch on the island. After having a couple cruise where there were no day passes to buy on board, I found these. And strangely, and I don't know why, this was cheaper per day than the 3 & 5 day passes on board.

Just wrote this up on my roll call, but here is for you....

Log into you DCL account, click Planning Center, your reservation info. When the main screen for your reservation comes up, scroll to In-Room Gifts and Shopping. When that screen comes up, select Port Canaveral then GO. (do not click online merchandise, that is something different)

The fastest way to see is to uncheck everything except the Spa button. Click on download order form and call the 800 number at the top. You don't need to fill out the, just call with a credit card handy. With gratuity, the total will be $18.88

Enjoy

I have had 2 DCL cruises and I also recommend that if you want a beverage tasting you do that right when you board. You cannot book in advance and they will fill up the first day. They are great and we really loved it. I believe we did the Martini and Mixology tastings. Lots of fun!

I have had 2 DCL cruises and I also recommend that if you want a beverage tasting you do that right when you board. You cannot book in advance and they will fill up the first day. They are great and we really loved it. I believe we did the Martini and Mixology tastings. Lots of fun!

These sound great!

Where do you sign up for them?

Do you happen to remember what each cost?

Thanks!

These sound great!

Where do you sign up for them?

Do you happen to remember what each cost?

Thanks!

The previous poster is right they are usually $15. That was the price in Dec. There are a couple that are $20. I don't remember what ones though. Maybe the tequila or whiskey ones? There is also a chocolate and champagne one I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums