Sydney airport

How far is Sydney airport from the Sydney Harbour area? Our flight arrives at 7:20 PM and we are staying at The Four Seasons. We are trying to get a ballpark idea of arrival time at the hotel and trying to determine if we will have any time to go out that evening. Also, does anyone know if baggage handling and customs are fairly quick or move more slowly at the airport? We are arriving on a Wednesday if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

How far is Sydney airport from the Sydney Harbour area? Our flight arrives at 7:20 PM and we are staying at The Four Seasons. We are trying to get a ballpark idea of arrival time at the hotel and trying to determine if we will have any time to go out that evening. Also, does anyone know if baggage handling and customs are fairly quick or move more slowly at the airport? We are arriving on a Wednesday if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I hear that Australian customs and immigration can take a while to get thru .

My sister says they count on about two hours to get thru customs and get to a downtown hotel.

Thanks!

I would agree with Kamloops and would say it will be an hour and a half to two hours before you reach your hotel.Although you land at 7.20 it could be 7.30 before you disembark the plane.it can then take 15 to 20 minutes to get your luggage depending how quickly they unload from the plane.Processing at customs all depends on how many planes are landing at the time.Getting a taxi is usually pretty quick there is a line but is very efficient you are then looking at 20 to 25 minutes to you hotel and then you need to check in.

Our Qantas flight from LAX last month was a bit late landing. Then took nearly 90 minutes for baggage and customs clearance.

Bags took ages and there was a huge queue to enter customs.

They were filming Border Patrol and a large part of customs seemed to be roped off.

I missed my onward flight (along with a lot of others) but they just put us on the next flight.

This is probably unusual but I didn`t have to include the taxi and drive like you do.

Thanks!

Sydney is about a 20 minute drive from the airport at the time frame that you will be arriving at.

Evening arrivals are generally not so busy and you should get through in about 45 minutes. It's quite a walk from the plane to Customs but they are quite quick. The route also takes you past all the duty free shops.

Most of the delays are at the baggage carousels and the line up into Quarantine. I generally find that it is quicker to go through the "something to declare" line having declared my medications on the entry card. They usually just stamp it and off you go.

I would estimate a 9pm arrival at the hotel. There are several 24 hr restaurants on Circular Quay. The hotel concierge should be able to advise you.

Hugh

Sydney is about a 20 minute drive from the airport at the time frame that you will be arriving at.

Evening arrivals are generally not so busy and you should get through in about 45 minutes. It's quite a walk from the plane to Customs but they are quite quick. The route also takes you past all the duty free shops.

Most of the delays are at the baggage carousels and the line up into Quarantine. I generally find that it is quicker to go through the "something to declare" line having declared my medications on the entry card. They usually just stamp it and off you go.

I would estimate a 9pm arrival at the hotel. There are several 24 hr restaurants on Circular Quay. The hotel concierge should be able to advise you.

Hugh

Do we realy have to declare medications?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

You may be lucky in your arrival time - I usually end up arriving in the mad morning rush and we budget about 90 minutes from landing to walking out into the arrivals area. Later afternoon and evening times don't seem to have as many flights coming in. Yes, this usually means fewer agents on duty but it's always the large crowds of passengers that seem to make the process slow.

There is a train from the terminal to the city, and I believe some services you don't have to change trains at central and can continue straight through to circular quay. Generally you don't have to wait more that ten minutes for the train, and the trip is only around 10-20 depending on connection. For one or two people it's more economical and less hassle IMO than a taxi.

Plenty to do in circular quay at night. Several cafés stay open late, the rocks area has some nice restaurants open late, Opera Bar outside SOH has the best view in the harbour often with live music, city extra is average but open 24 hrs. Enjoy :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.

Question 1 on the Incoming Passenger Card (in part) asks the following.

Are you bringing into Australia:

1. Goods that may be prohibited or subject to restrictions, such as medicines.

I always declare my prescription medicines, and I agree with Cassamanda. The declare line appears to be quicker.:)

Edited by By The Bay

Thanks.

Simply put yes. We always tick the arrival form that we have drugs with us and the customs guy normally asks "Are they prescription meds for you/". We answer yes and we move along. Don't even hold up the line for a second. On one occasion however the customs guy asked what meds we had and that took a bit of time to ascertain exactly what meds we had with us. As a result we now carry a list of all meds prescription and over the counter we are carrying in case we are asked again.

Failure to declare any drugs you have with you is an offence in Australia as it is in New Zealand. If you are legally entitled to have them it is not an issue and you will be moved along. If by chance your bags are searched and you have "undeclared" drugs with you, you can be guaranteed to be put through the wringer. For the sake of a tick yes and carrying a list of what you have with you its not worth the trouble of being a clever dick.

Simply put yes. We always tick the arrival form that we have drugs with us and the customs guy normally asks "Are they prescription meds for you/". We answer yes and we move along. Don't even hold up the line for a second. On one occasion however the customs guy asked what meds we had and that took a bit of time to ascertain exactly what meds we had with us. As a result we now carry a list of all meds prescription and over the counter we are carrying in case we are asked again.

Failure to declare any drugs you have with you is an offence in Australia as it is in New Zealand. If you are legally entitled to have them it is not an issue and you will be moved along. If by chance your bags are searched and you have "undeclared" drugs with you, you can be guaranteed to be put through the wringer. For the sake of a tick yes and carrying a list of what you have with you its not worth the trouble of being a clever dick.

Good advice.:D