norwegian krone

delgirl

Since you have some "starter" currency, wait and get more from an ATM if you need it. Just make sure your bank knows that you'll be traveling abroad. Also make sure your PIN is a 4-digit number. I don't know if it's still true, but European ATMs used to be limited to 4 digits on the PIN.

I admit to being a compulsive planner, and one thing I do before I travel is go online and check out locations of ATMs. My account is with Bank of America and they have connections with banks abroad. If I use the ATM in one of their "friends," BoA doesn't charge out-of-network fees, so I specifically search for those ATMS. It saves time if you don't have to wander around hunting for an ATM.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We're just back from a Baltic cruise and we never changed money for Norway. We used our no foreign transaction fee credit card everywhere [no chip, just signature], even for small purchases. We gave tips in USD$. No problems at all.

We started the trip in Sweden, so we had some starter currency for that [didn't really need it, either] and we got a few rubles in change for a pier purchase using dollars. Those came in handy for a snack purchase.

Everyone was willing to talk prices in terms of dollars, Euros, and the local currency.

On repeating European itineraries you can exchange currency at the Front Desk at a little higher rate (about 1%) over what shore ATMs will give ... but if your Norway stop is a once-a-season like a T-A they might not have any NOK.

I wouldn't count on the ship's front desk. As mentioned, sometimes they have some currency available. Sometimes not. Just make sure you notify your ATM bank as well as credit card compainies with your travel plans.

I wouldn't count on the ship's front desk. As mentioned, sometimes they have some currency available. Sometimes not. Just make sure you notify your ATM bank as well as credit card compainies with your travel plans.

With a UK chip and PIN card, notification should not be necessary. I have had no problem using them without notifying the issuer.

With a UK chip and PIN card, notification should not be necessary. I have had no problem using them without notifying the issuer.

Agree. My bank doesn't need to know any more. I always used to make a point of telling them my whereabouts.

Agree. My bank doesn't need to know any more. I always used to make a point of telling them my whereabouts.

My credit card company says we don't have to notify them, although their website still offers a way to do so. And I always do. My bank definitely wants to know about out-of-country travel.

Our banks are so far behind Europe (and, I suspect much of the rest of the world). We don't have chip-and-pin yet. I think one bank was starting to offer it, but it isn't mainstream the way it is in Europe.

One of my favorite sounds when traveling is that fft, fft, fft sound of money being counted out by an ATM.