Blu Restaurant (Summit)

MGK

We stayed in a CS last August, but this time are doing a RS departing 8/24. We did not go to Blu at all last August, but are interested in trying it this time out.

Can anyone please provide any insights on dining at Blu for suite guests? Reservations? Food choices? etc...

No reservations as its open seating for Aqua guests. Suites are permitted on a "space available" basis. If you go early (before 6:30 pm) or after 8 pm, you should have no problems being seated.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

We stayed in a CS last August, but this time are doing a RS departing 8/24. We did not go to Blu at all last August, but are interested in trying it this time out.

Can anyone please provide any insights on dining at Blu for suite guests? Reservations? Food choices? etc...

We dined in Blu anytime we wanted to last January on our 14 night on the Summit. We were in a Sky Suite.

The food is excellent and service as well.

I never tried to make a reservation but believe it's first-come, first-served. We never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Edited by A Sixth?

I've found as well my Butler has never been able to really do anything, it's all the Maitr'd. Butler basically contacts Maitr'd and "asks him to do a favor".

I generally just have butler handle all reservations and RSVP's and returning in of any paperwork for me. I tell him what I want and also give him a couple options for dining times, in case my preference isn't possible, and they generally make it happen.

With BLU, he said "we can't guarantee a time, but go see the maitre d at 8:30 and he will be expecting you." Turn and maybe a 5-10 minute wait, no biggie.

With summit in Bermuda, I image in a few more people stay off ship port nights, so it may not be as big a deal in Bermuda.

But flexibility is key is what it boils down to.

I've found as well my Butler has never been able to really do anything, it's all the Maitr'd. Butler basically contacts Maitr'd and "asks him to do a favor".

I generally just have butler handle all reservations and RSVP's and returning in of any paperwork for me. I tell him what I want and also give him a couple options for dining times, in case my preference isn't possible, and they generally make it happen.

With BLU, he said "we can't guarantee a time, but go see the maitre d at 8:30 and he will be expecting you." Turn and maybe a 5-10 minute wait, no biggie.

With summit in Bermuda, I image in a few more people stay off ship port nights, so it may not be as big a deal in Bermuda.

But flexibility is key is what it boils down to.

I've found the willingness and ability to get a special table or reservation in any restaurant varies from butler to butler. I've also found butlers who came up through F&B as a waiter first are better all around butlers than those that worked up through the hotel division or were hired directly in as butlers.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I've found the willingness and ability to get a special table or reservation in any restaurant varies from butler to butler. I've also found butlers who came up through F&B as a waiter first are better all around butlers than those that worked up through the hotel division or were hired directly in as butlers.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Observation...

That is because more than likely they've got years worth of friends & connections they have made while on ship.

Versus the one who went to Butler School and came into the job as a fresh hire.

Makes total sense.

Cheers!

My DW loved Blu much more then I did. I would call it "faux spa" and prefer the MDR menu.

We arrived at the peak times (7 - 7:45) and were told to wait in the wine bar area.

The waits were 15 - 25 minutes but as we had the drink package it wasn't a hardship. ;)

I'm a little surprised there was any wait at 8:30 . We found Blu started to have open tables shortly after 8.

Observation...

That is because more than likely they've got years worth of friends & connections they have made while on ship.

Versus the one who went to Butler School and came into the job as a fresh hire.

Makes total sense.

Cheers!

Totally agree.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Not true (as far as I know)....this is just about the only policy that Celebrity seems to follow consistently and firmly on every ship.

Only Aqua and suite guests may dine in Blu. If you are not in either of those cabin classes, you will not be able to dine there, even if invited by an aqua or suite guest or offer to pay.

I read a ship review (which I now can't find) that said IF there was availability at Blu. passengers who were not in Aqua Class or Suites could pay a fee to dine at Blu. Has anyone heard of that before?

Nope this appears to be one rule that X will NOT break. You MUST be in Aqua or a suite to use Blu....no exceptions....

Perhaps you read that Suites could pay a small fee to eat in Blu.

I think it was $5 P P

I believe this policy has been discontinued.

We thought it was discontinued to, until we were given a slip last night, asking us to pay the standard gratuity of $5/person for dining in Blu. I think the last time we were asked to pay was the same Blu restaurant manager on Reflection. I guess the policy still persists, but I may ask someone about it out of curiosity.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We thought it was discontinued to, until we were given a slip last night, asking us to pay the standard gratuity of $5/person for dining in Blu. I think the last time we were asked to pay was the same Blu restaurant manager on Reflection. I guess the policy still persists, but I may ask someone about it out of curiosity.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On the last night, we ate in Blu again and only got a slip for our beverages. No tip this time. I did ask about it, but the policy is foggy, even to Cocierge/Officers. They weren't even sure how it was supposed to work!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I read a ship review (which I now can't find) that said IF there was availability at Blu. passengers who were not in Aqua Class or Suites could pay a fee to dine at Blu. Has anyone heard of that before?

Not the case at all. Entrance to Blu is one if the areas Celebrity works hard at protecting and making available only to Aqua class guests and on a space availed basis to suites guests.

Many people have tried, so as to be able to dine with friends and family sailing Aqua class and to date I have not seen one report if success.

Here's one for the "etc..."

We just got off of the Summit yesterday. We were Aqua.

Something else to consider is the fact that our cruise had 500 children onboard. We never saw a single child in Blu for breakfast or dinner. While they can be in Blu if they are in Aqua with a max double occupancy per cabin, it seems that the overall % of children in BLU will be MUCH lower than the MDR.

Just walking outside of the MDR, the noise level was much louder at any given time.

It was a nice, peaceful, escape every night and the food (always subjective) we found very good and well presented.

7:00 PM - 8:30 PM seemed the busiest. We had a 15 minute wait one night at 9:00 PM when other nights 9:00 was dead, so you never know.

MrJulius