IF you were inclined to tip above and beyond the Service Charge...

lzybeanie

...for your room steward. Would you:

a) tip at the end at a certain per person/per day rate?

b) leave a few $$ daily? (I do this in hotels mainly b/c I know it's not always going to be the same people servicing the room - not the case on a cruise, though)

c) just leave a flat dollar amount at the end of the cruise?

Trying to gauge how much cash to bring with us! Thanks!

Hooray! Another tipping thread!

Do it however you feel comfortable... there is no right answer. For example, do you tip a waiter in the middle of a meal? Ever tip a bartender three or four times during the course of one sitting? See... no right answer!

IMO, the cabin stewards aren't getting a good share of the standard tips, so we always tip extra. So far, we've always had good to great service. We always tip extra on the last day.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Hooray! Another tipping thread!

Do it however you feel comfortable... there is no right answer. For example, do you tip a waiter in the middle of a meal (no!)? Ever tip a bartender three or four times during the course of one sitting (possibly!)? See... no right answer!

Bah to you triptolemus! ;) I will take my ribbing (flaming?), though.

Docalbe - if it's some of that yummy new salted caramel popcorn from Orville Redenbacher, do share with the class.

...for your room steward. Would you:

a) tip at the end at a certain per person/per day rate?

b) leave a few $$ daily? (I do this in hotels mainly b/c I know it's not always going to be the same people servicing the room - not the case on a cruise, though)

c) just leave a flat dollar amount at the end of the cruise?

Trying to gauge how much cash to bring with us! Thanks!

I give my cabin steward a cash tip @ the end of the cruise. I think they work really hard & make my cabin a "comfy, cozy space."

There was only 1 time I didn't tip extra. I rarely saw him & he did his job very poorly. Twice my room wasn't made up (and I keep it very neat, so not a lot to do) He picked the wet dirty towels up from the floor ( I had folded them into a pile) & he hung them back up. I know because we had gotten some self tanning stuff on them, and they were still damp.

Edited by JuneauMe

Tip them nothing they get the dsc they need to do the job they get paid for

Tip them a few dollars every day keeps them keen

Wait till the end of the cruise and then tip a $10 a $20 a $50 a $100 or whatever you want

Hopefully that covers it all if not pass the popcorn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done all 3

Tipped daily or when I saw him/her

Tipped at the end only

And for excellent service like our last Epic trip with 5 of us in the cabin....tipped daily or when I saw her and additionally at the end.

ALL UP TO YOU

I sometimes refrain from last minute tipping because on the morning of departure it is hectic and you are running around and don't always see who you need to see.

We have felt once that our room steward absolutely went above and beyond our expectations. We tipped at the end of the week by making a fund transfer from our on board account to his onboard account. I didn't have the extra cash on hand and wanted to make sure he received the funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had the room steward change in the middle of the cruise so while this is definitly not usual, it can happen for various reasons (original one getting sick, leaving the ship in the port of call in their home country, etc).

I usually leave something extra at the end of the cruise. Although if I make any, what I consider, over and above requests, such as asking for additional wine glasses and ice etc because I will be entertaining in my cabin then I will tip when the service is rendered.

Rochelle

We always give extra...and we've done it a combination of ways.

This time we gave him some it 1/2 way through...he had made a cute penguin so I put the money in the penguins mouth and wrote a nice thank you note and then gave him the rest on the last day.

There is no right or wrong way and it's always appreciated.

I ask when they have time in port (if any at all that week) and leave something for them to go have fun with. When they work so hard to send money back money back home sometimes they take me up on going on a splurge and have a good time...I add for them to not worry about my cabin that particular day/evening...

coka

I ask when they have time in port (if any at all that week) and leave something for them to go have fun with. When they work so hard to send money back money back home sometimes they take me up on going on a splurge and have a good time...I add for them to not worry about my cabin that particular day/evening...

coka

GREAT idea Coka!!! I'm going to do this next time. Thank you!

We have always felt our cabin stewards were excellent. We leave a $5 per day tip in an envelope on the last evening. along with a thank you note, and usually a note saying that we filled out a HERO card for them. We leave it on the bed before the last evening cabin turn down.

We always tip the first morning or even the first evening if I have asked them to do a number of things....empty mini-fridge, extra pillows, egg crate on bed. We then tip daily, a few dollars IF they are good and usually we have had great room stewards. And finally at the end of the cruise if they were very good we give a larger tip. For a week's cruise we usually end up tipping our room steward about $35-$50.