Tell me the downside of Portholes!

Dixie24

I am currently booked in an OV on the Main Deck on the Glory. Two Riviera porthole rooms just came open today on my cruise and I am before final payment, so I can downgrade and save $60 per person. I have read that people like PTs because the cabin set up is the same as an OV (minus the windows being the same) but at a cheaper cost.

I want to know what the negatives of PTs are before I switch. I think I remember reading a review where someone said the PTs can be loud because of waves hitting the front of the ship. How bad does it get? Would you switch for $60? Thanks!

The negative: the cabins are all far forward. If the seas are rough, you would definitely feel it being this far forward. Yes, we heard the waves crashing (at first I didn't know what it was), but it really didn't bother me all that much. After a while, I don't even think I heard it.

Luckily, we were on a smooth sailing...no rough seas. So we really liked the room. I had ginger root and bonine packed "just in case".

$60pp is something to think about. $120 total - we could do quite a bit with that. I think I would go for it. Take bonine or whatever it is you might need for seasickness, if needed. You have a view. We didn't really miss the couch.

The negative: the cabins are all far forward. If the seas are rough, you would definitely feel it being this far forward. Yes, we heard the waves crashing (at first I didn't know what it was), but it really didn't bother me all that much. After a while, I don't even think I heard it.

Luckily, we were on a smooth sailing...no rough seas. So we really liked the room. I had ginger root and bonine packed "just in case".

$60pp is something to think about. $120 total - we could do quite a bit with that. I think I would go for it. Take bonine or whatever it is you might need for seasickness, if needed. You have a view. We didn't really miss the couch.

Thank you. GOCCL.com and pictures I have seen have a couch in the PT Category rooms (ones where beds convert to king) on Conquest class. Can anyone confirm that there is a couch? Specifically looking at Cabin 1216 or 1217.

We loved our porthole and we'd stay there again, but the location can be undesirable to some. We were awoken pulling into port one morning because of the thrusters vibrating. It wasn't a big deal and it was time to wake up anyway, but I have family members that wouldn't love those cabins.

I love porthole cabins but I personally would not take one on the Riviera deck. This is the lowest deck and as far as a pt goes it could get pretty loud in rough seas.

I have only taken a PT on the fantasy class ships (ecstasy) and was able to grab one on Empress deck (3 decks higher than Riviera) we did love it for the size & value, location not so much.

Hmmmm, Looking at the deckplan for Glory, the good news is the 4 PT cabins are NOT the farthest forward, the bad news is two of them are connecting and this can be bad as far as hearing more noise from your neighbors.

IF the cabin you are being offered is NOT one of the connecting it might be ok to go for it. Really depends on how much the $60pp means to you and what location you are giving up with your OV on main deck. Also, no couch in the PT cabins.

ETA - just saw your last post, YES there are couches in the PT cabins on glory! That's awesome! And 1216 & 1217 are the better choices because they aren't the connecting. All good news.

Edited by cruisenanny

I love porthole cabins but I personally would not take one on the Riviera deck. This is the lowest deck and as far as a pt goes it could get pretty loud in rough seas.

I have only taken a PT on the fantasy class ships (ecstasy) and was able to grab one on Empress deck (3 decks higher than Riviera) we did love it for the size & value, location not so much.

Hmmmm, Looking at the deckplan for Glory, the good news is the 4 PT cabins are NOT the farthest forward, the bad news is two of them are connecting and this can be bad as far as hearing more noise from your neighbors.

IF the cabin you are being offered is NOT one of the connecting it might be ok to go for it. Really depends on how much the $60pp means to you and what location you are giving up with your OV on main deck. Also, no couch in the PT cabins.

ETA - just saw your last post, YES there are couches in the PT cabins on glory! That's awesome! And 1216 & 1217 are the better choices because they aren't the connecting. All good news.

Thanks! I may try a PT out. My OV room on main is a couple cabins forward of the forward elevators, so pretty much ideal for me. I don't mind the extra walk down the hall to the PT room, mostly concerned about wave noise and possible seasickness.

Not to mention, on the Glory, the oceanview cabins are 220 square feet, and so the PT cabins are almost the same!! :)

Did you book early saver? Because I heard that they don't allow you to downgrade without a penalty. If not, no worries, just thought I would put that out there.

They wouldn't even downgrade me without canceling the whole reservation. So last week I canceled the whole thing and now I am waiting for the gift cards to come in the mail to book again for the Valor in Feb. They got my 100 bucks, but will probably lose out on some of the shore excursions I had booked. Stupid policy!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Downside could include, like others mentioned, that it is in the very front of the ship, so there could be more motion (at least they're low), and could be loud from the waves crashing into the ship (something you likely won't notice until 3 a.m. ;) ).

Also, the portholes aren't the easiest to look out of. With a window, you can look out and see outside from the cabin. With a porthole, you may need to actually sit on the little ledge to look out. And I thought the porthole would be a perfect framing technique with taking pictures, however, the light coming through them overwhelmed my camera, so a lot of light artifact and washed out pictures, plus they are so waterstained that you can tell that you're looking through thick glass on the pictures and they're not clear pictures at all.

I also actually prefer insides because I like it dark.

I had 2217 on Glory to Bermuda. That's classified as a 1A with 1 twin and a sofa bed, so it's great for solos.

Yes, it's a very long walk from the bow to the stern. I'd come out of the cabin, take the forward stairs up to Deck 5, walk all the way aft (to catch my breath), then take the stairs the rest of the way up to Lido. I rarely gain weight when I cruise, despite all the caloric consumption. I get more exercise walking the ships and taking the stairs than I do the rest of the year!

Anyway, we took 2 days to get to Bermuda but returned in 1-1/2 and had rougher seas on the return. The waves slamming against the hull woke me many times, especially the night we left Bermuda. I don't like my sleep disrupted! :mad:

But I've booked the same cabin for Splendor to Bermuda. I may have a cruise buddy joining me and didn't want a "regular" upper/lower because we old women do not need to be climbing ladders when we have to get up in the middle of the night. :p

I thought about booking a regular inside but the prices are outrageous on this sailing and if I remain as a solo, it's already way more than I like to pay. I just hope the wave slamming isn't too bad next time.

Did anyone mention the anchor and thruster noise? It is LOUD and nearly knocks me out of bed in the morning.

If I didn't know what the noise was, it might make a person nervous. I don't mind the noise because it means we are in port, and gives time to rise and shine without over sleeping. Yes, I've heard waves crashing, but if you look at the thickness of the wall, there is no danger.

I wasn't worried about any danger. But I am not a very pleasant person when suffering from sleep deprivation, especially when I have to drive home from port in the morning!

It was like someone slamming a heavy, steel door, which would wake me, and then the bed would shudder hard several times, then I'd doze back off only for it to happen over and over and over.

I also actually prefer insides because I like it dark.

I had 2217 on Glory to Bermuda. That's classified as a 1A with 1 twin and a sofa bed, so it's great for solos.

Yes, it's a very long walk from the bow to the stern. I'd come out of the cabin, take the forward stairs up to Deck 5, walk all the way aft (to catch my breath), then take the stairs the rest of the way up to Lido. I rarely gain weight when I cruise, despite all the caloric consumption. I get more exercise walking the ships and taking the stairs than I do the rest of the year!

Anyway, we took 2 days to get to Bermuda but returned in 1-1/2 and had rougher seas on the return. The waves slamming against the hull woke me many times, especially the night we left Bermuda. I don't like my sleep disrupted! :mad:

But I've booked the same cabin for Splendor to Bermuda. I may have a cruise buddy joining me and didn't want a "regular" upper/lower because we old women do not need to be climbing ladders when we have to get up in the middle of the night. :p

I thought about booking a regular inside but the prices are outrageous on this sailing and if I remain as a solo, it's already way more than I like to pay. I just hope the wave slamming isn't too bad next time.

My mom has this room for our Oct Glory cruise as well. She is excited about trying a porthole room. With the no solo supplement deals we got, she couldn't resist.

Do you happen to have any pics? The room is pretty much the same as a regular OV except it has one regular bed and the wall is slightly curved, right? Also I think I saw somewhere where you can actually close the shutters (for lack of a better term) and latch them shut for total darkness. Is this correct?

My mom has this room for our Oct Glory cruise as well. She is excited about trying a porthole room. With the no solo supplement deals we got, she couldn't resist.

Do you happen to have any pics? The room is pretty much the same as a regular OV except it has one regular bed and the wall is slightly curved, right? Also I think I saw somewhere where you can actually close the shutters (for lack of a better term) and latch them shut for total darkness. Is this correct?

They do close, but not sure if the passenger can do it or if it's involved enough you need a steward.