Which location for Beach vs. Snorkeling (St. Thomas vs. St. Martin)

Tggrtoes

Hi there - posting this is St. Thomas and St. Martin threads. I want to have a family beach day either in St. Thomas or St. Marting with DH and DS. Then, on the other day, DH and I want to go out snorkeling with DS staying on ship with grandparents. I am considering Capt Bob in St. Martin, which would leave the beach day for St. Thomas. (Perhaps Megans Bay?) But have not yet made up my mind.

If you've been to both locations, where would you choose to have your beach day with the family - and where would you choose to do the snorkeling? (Recommend tour if you have one).

We aren't serious snorkelers but enjoy it - and I might have a drink but we're not big drinkers. We are fine doing our own thing (non ship).

Thoughts?

If you want awesome snorkeling...right from the beach, you need to go to Coki in St Thomas. You will see probably more things right from the beach than I have normally seen while snorkeling on a boat tour in the middle of the ocean. :D

Check out my review in my signature line of Coki under St Thomas. There's TONS AND TONS of pictures to show you the snorkeling. It's a must and no need to even book a tour or excursion with a 3rd party. Simply grab a cab from the port and go! :)

I loved Coki beach for snorkeling for our girls when they were small but found Sapphire to be better when they got older or for just DH and myself. That's going back a few years now though. Those two beaches are both on St. Thomas. There is really no snorkeling from the beach in St. Maarten that can compare to that of St. Thomas.

St. Maarten has such a wide range of beaches. For a couple's day I would choose Grand Case beach because I love long beaches and gourmet restaurants and here I can have both. My faviorite place for lunch in Grand Case now offers free beach chairs and umbrellas to patrons now so it makes for an awesome and relaxing beach day.