Southwest Airlines Flight Fares

candydane

I finally bought our flights for February. When the schedule opened, the leg from STL to FLL was running well over $300. I usually pay under $200. Today it was $266. Southwest is one of the few that provides a non-stop from STL to the FLL - MIA area.

Finally paid $451 round trip for each of us. I got his with points, paid cash for mine. If I see a better price show up, I'm more likely to use the credit than he is.

If I had bought back in March on AA, I think I could have flown for a little less, but once you include bag fees and the hassle of 7-9 hours of travel time and plane changes, I'm happy to pay just a little more. Allegiant could have gotten me to Orlando, but a day earlier, required a car rental from Sanford, FL to MIA/FLL, then a day later. The savings would have been eaten up in the extra hotel and car rentals.

Wow, I also am watching Southwest flight.

If you think the flights to FLL are bad, try pricing flights to San Juan. We are booked on Adventure for March 21. Been watching SW and waiting for the flights to open up. All of Jan and Feb was running about 220-270 one way pp.

March dates open up and they are running 550-570 ONE WAY per person. Thats over $1100 from anywhere in Ohio to San Juan!!! Thats alot of $$$ to hope for a price drop and to get free bags.

Right now other airlines are running between $600-800, with choice air being our best option right now. Just deciding how soon we should book.

Not sure what SW is doing. Was just ready to change from using my BOA royal credit card to SW credit card for all my day to day purchases (and bills) And get the points towards flights instead of cruises. We have used SW for the last several flights, but may need to re think all this now.

Not sure what SW is doing. Was just ready to change from using my BOA royal credit card to SW credit card for all my day to day purchases (and bills) And get the points towards flights instead of cruises. We have used SW for the last several flights, but may need to re think all this now.

Us too!! SWA 1-way fare PDX to FLL is more than American Airline roundtrip fare from PDX to MIA!!! And AA has better flight schedules both ways!

I have been so disappointed in airfare that I even checked Allegiant prices. They fly out of an airport just outside of STL, really close to my mom's house. She offered to keep my car, plus drop us off and pick us up. But, it would have meant flying into Sanford - Orlando instead n of FLL, on Thursday instead of Friday for our Saturday cruise, and going home on Sunday day instead of Saturday. By the time I added in bag fees (they even charge for a carry on), two car rentals, two extra hotel nights, extra meals, tolls, and an extra day off work, it wasn't much cheaper than flying someone else.

Now to watch and see if it goes down further.

I was just trolling SWA's website this morning.

We are cruising on March 1, so the purchase of our flights to and from were split by the timing of their schedule openings.

We bought our tickets to FLL on the day they opened up (August 4). For strange reasons that only make sense to us, we are flying from Albany to Baltimore on 2/27 and then Baltimore to FLL on 2/28. Our BWI to FLL flight was originally $260 for the two of us. We thought the prices traveling to FLL were quite reasonable. I re-booked that flight today and saved $50, so I'm happy.

Booking the trip back became a bit of a nightmare! Prices were no way comparable. The flight back for the two of us is $730! We bought anyway, knowing that prices might only go up. I'm glad we did. Now, the cheapest fare on our flight is completely sold out and over $400/person.

I'm guessing March and spring break are the reasons for this, especially considering our February flights were so reasonable. We'll take note of this and make sure we don't cruise again in March.

Thankfully, we already have our hotel booked. If prices go down, we'll re-book, but I have a feeling those prices are only going to up as well.

Southwest 2/7/15 return 2/14/15

Non Stops

$494 for 2 of us ($588 with all fees)

It all depends where you are flying to/from. Cities with a lesser amount of flights per day especially direct flight will be more expensive.

Feb 7th/Feb 15th

The day the flight window opened up we priced out and booked.

Buffalo to Orlando $687 return, non stop , direct for 3 people

Buffalo to FT Lauderdale $991 return , non stop , direct for 3 people.

Flying into Orlando was $313 cheaper. Almost the price of one persons fare.

Last year for the time period we paid $780 for the 3 of us. It's up about $70 more per person for some odd reason! Supply and demand I guess!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Southwest has been crazy. I have been trolling for fares for many different dates, and can't find anything out of Indy for less than about $700 per person! We ended up booking from Dayton, and it still was pricey!! Just crazy!

I had the same experience. I went online the DAY the Southwest flights went on sale, thinking I'd pay the 250 pp I paid last year for our rt to FLL BUT NO… it was more than double. This is a trip I take every year. The fares for Easter week - return on Easter = April 5 crazy. No cheaper to stay an extra day.

Its the only direct option for me. Could have saved a little connecting and flying into Miami on American. But connecting? And paying for luggage. Cancels out the savings.

Since its Southwest I bought them. The fare probably won't go down. But if it does at least they will give me a credit.

I have been trying for flights from Norfolk, Va to Tampa late Feb to early March & SW only has 3 flights listed going to TPA & 3 flights back to ORF. Flight times & prices are ridiculous! I don't want to spend 6 to 7 hrs. trying to get to TPA & the same for our return. :(

We flew this past Feb. with SW & used points to SJ...it was great...only 20,000 points per person round trip.:)