Why Pitcairne?

sailorgirl

It's on the itinerary for Marina's crossing from Tahiti to Lima, Peru next April but it's my understanding that Oceania passengers (and most other cruise lines) never ever get to step foot on the island. Apparently a handful of residents come out to the ship for the day. Why waste a port we will not be able to visit rather than go to Robinson Crusoe island or some other? It doesn't seem right to let people think they will actually visit the island when it never happens.

The ships bring supplies to the islanders.

I understand from someone who has done this that it can be a very interesting time talking with people from the island. For example, a lovely conversation with a young woman who had finished her HS and was heading to New Zealand for college. Of course, not everyone is interested in learning about such things, so I can understand why the stop would be questioned.

We are doing itinerary with Regent in February and I am hoping we do get to have them come aboard. If the swells are to bad, they do not come, as their boats cannot handle it. I also consider it a nice break in the itinerary after 2 sea days, even though we don't get off the ship. But again, everyone has his/her own feelings.

From what Ive read recently, Pitcairn Island is in real trouble - the birth rate is essentially zero, Great Britain spends a lot of money sustaining the population, there seem to be some significant divisions among the islanders, and it isn't impossible that the island may one day be abandoned. So the chance to meet some Pitcairn islanders may be a rare opportunity, even if it isn't possible to visit the island itself.

The stop also gives the islanders a chance to sell their handmade crafts.

The islanders have several websites and explain on one of them that expedition ships try to get their passengers ashore. They tend to be a bit more adventuresome.

We were on a cruise last year that stopped there. People were very disappointed on our cruise that we did not get to tender. I honestly do not think the island has the infrastructure to deal with all of the people on a ship the size of Marina or similar size. With 50 people at a max populating the island, not taking into account some of the young children who are off at boarding school in NZ, clearly is not enough. Also because of the precariousness of tendering and the rocks, etc., it may not be an appropriate stop for some with less ability to transverse the area than others, and how do you say that one cannot go? Yes, people, including myself, were disappointed but then meeting and talking with the people was an experience I will always remember. They also brought neat things to sell. I would do it again knowing we could not land.

That being said, the people were fascinating and when you hear about their lifestyle, with all of about 50 people, children to adults, I am so glad we did. The people were extremely articulate and lovely. And yes, the ships do provide the people with supplies as generally, they can only get supplies through a regular supply ship 4 times a year. So, I am sure they welcome the visit along with the lunch. Almost the whole island came over to the ship. Pitcairn is a beautiful island and if no tendering (as it can be very dangerous), the ship goes around the island. They did mention that they hope to build a better and less dangerous spot to land, but I did not see anything on that level and with the numbers of people populating the island, it could take a bit of time.

You are absolutely correct that tendering a large number of passengers, some of them not very mobile, would be very difficult and probably dangerous in the long Pacific swells.

What did you buy? Honey? Stamps? Wood carvings? Weavings? Tapa?

Wood carvings/ladles, utensils, and t-shirts. However, the best part was talking to the locals. A very interesting and generally well educated population although a checkered recent and likely long ago past which you can read about on the internet. I also met a woman from NZ who went to live within the last two year on the island with her boyfriend who is a local (she must have been in her 60's or so). It is not an easy life there but we did not meet anyone unhappy ones. What I most enjoyed was talking to a 12 year old boy who was selling things to make money for his upcoming trip to go to school in NZ (for the first time). I cannot say enough about that place and I am glad we went even if we did not touch land.

Piney: I believe we were on the same trip with you. Yes, even though we couldn't land, was very interesting to hear the stories they shared and watch from our balcony the trip around the island. It was a really nice cruise and we are going this December on the Riviera.We had sent ourselves postcards which we finally got last week. Was our 1st O cruise and hope to go on others

We stopped there last spring on Marina and enjoyed it very much. No, we didn't land, rather, had a fascinating on-board lecture by one of the residents and met many residents (young and old) in Horizons while they were selling their wares. As the attached photo shows, the "handful of residents" who came aboard was actually about 90% of the island's population!

1294670122_DSC_0370Pitcairn-Version2.jpg.dc6d3a0585f4d11eaa600fce38192303.jpg