Royal fitness center hours

sawtooth

Please tell me that the fitness center opens early, like at least 6am.

We are early risers and enjoy a very early morning workout and some classes before having breakfast @ 7:30.

I thought that I read that some centers don't open until 7am, for us that is late. Personally, I think they should be open 24/7. I know....even on vacation.

I sailed on two Royal cruises last year. I don't think the fitness center had any set hours of operation. At least none that affected me. Most at sea days, I was in the aerobics room by 5:30 AM to practice my yoga. There would be a few people on treadmills. After I finished my yoga, I would do the treadmill for an hour. By 7:00 things would start to pick up. I think they had a free stretch class then. Be sure to check out the TRX classes - starts at 9;00 AM. Royal was the first ship to install TRX.

Edited by billco

It depends on the location of the gym in relation to cabins.If the gym is directly above cabins, then noisy machines (treadmills) were not allowed on the Emerald last month before 8am. The gym opened at 6:00am and you could use bikes, handweights and ellipticals before 8:00am.

I'd also be interested to know if this is the policy on the Royal. (Looks like Billco has already outlined this above - thanks)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

That's great news. I would have no problem using the ellipticals and other quiet machines for a while before the treadmill. I like the cycle classes and stretch as well. Will have to try the TRX this cruise.

And, of course, will try out the outdoor track as well.

That's great news. I would have no problem using the ellipticals and other quiet machines for a while before the treadmill. I like the cycle classes and stretch as well. Will have to try the TRX this cruise.

And, of course, will try out the outdoor track as well.

TRX classes aren't free. I think $12 a class/discount if you take all offered. Trainers know what they are doing and will put you through the paces. The outdoor track is pretty good, except it can get windy. 7 laps to a mile. Lane down the middle to separate walkers and runners. Doesn't work that well. Drinking fountain and bench at one end. Exercise stations like a parcourse. Edited by billco

Unlike most of the Princess ships, which have the gym over cabins, the Royal has the Gym over the Horizons Cafe. As such no cabins would be impacted by noise from the Gym.

What a dream come true! We go to the gym daily to combat cruise calories and are always there when they open - which on the 7am ships makes it difficult to make dining room breakfasts. I am always glad to get a 6am ship but even then, to guarantee a treadmill we often are waiting in line outside the door by 5:30. 8am would drive me crazy!

My mother was once almost knocked down by someone racing through the spa hallway to get inside first. What I wouldn't give to have it be 24/7 so we could avoid the stampede and also get it over with first thing in the morning - without sacrificing dining room breakfasts.

Totally agree. We have always been early risers and love to start the day early. Love to get a workout in and 5:30 would be ideal. Then a nice breakfast and the whole day still ahead of us. Relax on a lounge chair (on sea days) and take a nap!

I know it's not everyones idea of a vacation but it works for us!

Also, good to get some kind of exercise in early on port days.

Totally agree. We have always been early risers and love to start the day early. Love to get a workout in and 5:30 would be ideal. Then a nice breakfast and the whole day still ahead of us. Relax on a lounge chair (on sea days) and take a nap!

I know it's not everyones idea of a vacation but it works for us!

Also, good to get some kind of exercise in early on port days.[/quot

Just curious, when do you sleep?

Please tell me that the fitness center opens early, like at least 6am.

We are early risers and enjoy a very early morning workout and some classes before having breakfast @ 7:30.

I thought that I read that some centers don't open until 7am, for us that is late. Personally, I think they should be open 24/7. I know....even on vacation.

It was open at 6:00 am on Ruby, but not one second earlier! I am with you, would be nice if it was open 24/7. I like going to the gym early, I go every day at 5am at home. On other ships, even though it is not open until 6, it is not locked so you can get in a bit early. But not on Ruby, it was locked up tight until 6.

Wow, thanks all for this string of postings, I thought I was the only one whom has a passion for on board morning workouts!! Thank you.

I am the only man in my family to ever see 50 years if age, and by Gods grace am now and have made it to 56!! Heart decease runs in my family big time. So watching food intake and belonging to a gym and going to that gym regularly is a huge deal for me.

We are sailing on the Thanksgiving '14 Royal Princess cruise and as I am an early riser I will be in the gym on that elliptical most morning. There is nothing like an early morning 3-1/2 - 4 mile workout at sea watching the ocean go by as an appreciation to life. Keep up the run.

Take care my friends, thanks, Mark