When does Spring break insanity begin??

snorkler8

I know all schools have different dates, but I really want to avoid the insanity. Our schools spring break starts the 23 of March. I'm looking at a cruise out of Galveston and have no idea when Texas has their break. Anyone know??

I would never take a cruise out of Galveston again. Spring break begins with colleges and schools after the 1st week of March.

Us too! Our last experience was awful. Also, we usually cruise in January and February to avoid all the kids but it seems that parents take their kids out at random now. Many rowdy kids on our last January cruise.

For a few districts it is the week of the 9th, but most of Texas is the week of the 16th.

In fact, our district is one of the few starting the 9th, and when I priced out cruises a few months back, Carnival had not yet accounted for some schools being on break that week. We booked the Triumph, oceanview room for 4 people for $330ish/pp. The week after was going for $700ish/pp. About a month after we booked, our cruise price doubled. Then it was switched to the Magic and turned into a 6 day cruise!

We also booked for 2016, the week of March 7th, for $340/pp. Again, the week after is double that. I am not too certain though that the school will break that early in 2016. They typically break the 2nd Monday in March and in 2016, March starts on a Tuesday and so the 7th will be the 1st Monday.

Just to be safe I booked a fully refundable fare as opposed to the usual Early Saver. We'd never see a price drop anyways. Just like the one for 2015, once they figure out some schools are on break that week they will jack up the price anyways.

In the past I had no problems pulling kids out of school on random (cheaper) dates. All I had to do was talk with the principal and make arrangements with their teachers. But college is a different story :/

Before I even posted this I should have given myself a good reminder of why to never cruise during spring break....your tube. I don't get the " get drunk and be an idiot or it's not fun" spring break group....or the unruly kids running every where. Yup, plan B

Us too! Our last experience was awful. Also, we usually cruise in January and February to avoid all the kids but it seems that parents take their kids out at random now. Many rowdy kids on our last January cruise.

I just moved here to TX and one thing that I noticed almost immediately is that they PUSH.. REALLY push.. Home schooling here. no idea why, or what kind of oversight the TX school districts have, but I swear I see multiple commercials daily.

In the past I had no problems pulling kids out of school on random (cheaper) dates. All I had to do was talk with the principal and make arrangements with their teachers. But college is a different story :/

No such luck with my kid's school. The principal puts out written weekly edicts about a month before each major break, "NO EXCUSE TO TAKE YOUR CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL EARLY TO SAVE ON AIR FARE!" And the teachers are instructed not to give out homework assignments early. Plus you get a phone call at home when you get back.

Miss a PTA meeting? You get a phone call from her the next morning. Miss two? You're requested for a face to face meeting.

And every year there 60+ applications for each kindergarten slot for this school :rolleyes:

No such luck with my kid's school. The principal puts out written weekly edicts about a month before each major break, "NO EXCUSE TO TAKE YOUR CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL EARLY TO SAVE ON AIR FARE!" And the teachers are instructed not to give out homework assignments early. Plus you get a phone call at home when you get back.

Miss a PTA meeting? You get a phone call from her the next morning. Miss two? You're requested for a face to face meeting.

And every year there 60+ applications for each kindergarten slot for this school :rolleyes:

WOW! That's rough. I'm guessing you are in a big city. We are in a town of less than 10k. That may make the difference.

WOW! That's rough. I'm guessing you are in a big city. We are in a town of less than 10k. That may make the difference.

Big City, public school to boot. Principal wears a badge at the first PTA meeting of the year: "#1 Tiger Principal" :eek:

Big City, public school to boot. Principal wears a badge at the first PTA meeting of the year: "#1 Tiger Principal" :eek:

There are some advantages to small town life, however I just found out from a friend who works for the school district that Idaho is #50 in the nation for many different aspect of education. :eek: so maybe a sergeant is better for your kids?

"Spring Break" runs from March to May, generally speaking....all states (sand even counties and cities within each state) are on different schedule. Folks come from ALL OVER to cruise...so it's not just the departure port's school schedule that will affect it!

...maybe a sergeant is better for your kids?

There may be an ulterior motive on the Prinicipal's part. Here in CA, last I knew, public schools are paid by the state based on daily attendance. So if you pull your kid out before official vacation starts, the school gets docked by the state.

Spring break is an amorphous term - to the extent OP wants to avoid travel at times when schools are on break, he should be aware of "February Break" - generally the third week in February when many school districts have a week off - but clearly not a "Spring" break. Then there are spring vacations from schools and colleges - which range from anywhere from the second week of March through April - with a concentration of whenever Easter occurs - when a lot of schools have an "Easter" vacation - which can be anywhere from March 22 through the third week of April.

Then, of course, a lot of colleges end their school years at the end of April - meaning that the "Summer" vacation "madness" can start as early as the beginning of May.

There is no easy answer.

There may be an ulterior motive on the Prinicipal's part. Here in CA, last I knew, public schools are paid by the state based on daily attendance. So if you pull your kid out before official vacation starts, the school gets docked by the state.

Kid's Principal does not hide this, her next sentence tells us she loses funding for each kid absent, even if its the last day of school. :o