RCI vs. CCL: How does tween/teen program compare?

My family and I were booked on the 3/22 cruise on the Carnival Valor and were informed yesterday that they suddenly decided to change its home port to Port Canaveral and our cruise was canceled. :mad:

Royal Caribbean to the rescue! We had already booked the airfare and hotel in San Juan, so we were glad that RC had a ship leaving the same day with similar ports. The price was a bit more, but that was expected.

My husband and I have cruised on Royal Caribbean twice before, and are actually very excited to be back. Our kids never have, and are concerned that the teen program will not be as good as Circle C and Club 02 on Carnival, which they love. Their other concern was whether there is a soft serve ice cream dispenser available 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Can anyone who has teens who have used the Royal Caribbean kids club for 12-17 year olds tell me how it compares with Carnival? Thanks!

I have heard good things about both programs, but can't help you with too much since I don't have kids. Some prefer Rci, others prefer ccl. As far as the ice cream, there is soft serve but not 24 hours, and they had an employee doing the machine. This was on freedom of the seas. It was open from around 11am to 5 or 6pm.

Edited by cruise_girl2002

I have heard good things about both programs, but can't help you with too much since I don't have kids. Some prefer Rci, others prefer ccl. As far as the ice cream, there is soft serve but not 24 hours, and they had an employee doing the machine. This was on freedom of the seas. It was open from around 11am to 5 or 6pm.

And it's not ice cream. It's frozen yogurt.

We cruised Carnival early on when our DD was younger. Once she turned 9 we ended up moving over to Royal. She loved the Royal programs so much more. All the way through her teen years she would meet kids on cruises and they would keep in touch afterward too. In our opinion, once our daughter got to the tween age, Royal was better.

My kids were tweens when we sailed on Carnival. They thought the kid's club was "lame". It certainly was underutilized in the tween and teen age group.

Conversely, my kids loved RCI's club right up until the aged out of it!

Great to hear! Sounds like the majority prefer RCI. I just showed all of your comments to my 16 year old and she is feeling better about it now. :). Keep the comments coming!

Before you make that conclusion maybe post the same thread in the carnival section. Anyone in here probably likes Royal Caribbean. Including myself.

Edited by Oasis Of The Seas Expert

My family and I were booked on the 3/22 cruise on the Carnival Valor and were informed yesterday that they suddenly decided to change its home port to Port Canaveral and our cruise was canceled. :mad:

Royal Caribbean to the rescue! We had already booked the airfare and hotel in San Juan, so we were glad that RC had a ship leaving the same day with similar ports. The price was a bit more, but that was expected.

My husband and I have cruised on Royal Caribbean twice before, and are actually very excited to be back. Our kids never have, and are concerned that the teen program will not be as good as Circle C and Club 02 on Carnival, which they love. Their other concern was whether there is a soft serve ice cream dispenser available 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Can anyone who has teens who have used the Royal Caribbean kids club for 12-17 year olds tell me how it compares with Carnival? Thanks!

From my 14 yr old!

Both similar & fun.

Glow party great on RCCL. Bring Glow sticks from home instead of buying on the ship.

No 24hr frozen ice cream

But there are free bags of potatoe chips

Free style Soda machine is awesome on RCCL

Teen flowrider lessons at night are great.

DJ Lessons are fun too

Activities usually run later on RCCL

A pool is usually open 24 hrs

The only time he's complained about a "lame" kids club was on our last Disney Cruise!

Edited by vacation_junkie

From my 14 yr old!

Both similar & fun.

Glow party great on RCCL. Bring Glow sticks from home instead of buying on the ship.

No 24hr frozen ice cream

But there are free bags of potatoe chips

Free style Soda machine is awesome on RCCL

Teen flowrider lessons at night are great.

DJ Lessons are fun too

Activities usually run later on RCCL

A pool is usually open 24 hrs

The only time he's complained about a "lame" kids club was on our last Disney Cruise!

Thanks! I'll pass on his comments to my kids. There is no Flow rider or Coke Freestyle on the Adventure, unfortunately.

Edited by Laurin612

Thanks! I'll pass on his comments to my kids. There is no Flow rider or Coke Freestyle on the Adventure, unfortunately.

They are more similar then they are different!

IF they are Social kids who make friends easy then they will have no problem with the Teen Club!

Enjoy your cruise!

Before you make that conclusion maybe post the same thread in the carnival section. Anyone in here probably likes Royal Caribbean. Including myself.

That's true, but while I have sailed Carnival more, my kids like the Royal teen clubs much more than Carnival. It seemed that on CCL the kids met and then mainly hung out doing other things. If you didn't connect the first night, you were somewhat screwed. On Royal, the teens seemed to stay in that area more for the games and activities. My oldest didn't go until about half way into the cruise and still made several friends and really had fun.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

My kids are both pretty social and have no problems making friends. My daughter still keeps in touch with probably a dozen kids she has met on previous cruises through text, Instagram and Facebook. My son will be excited to hear that the activities are more sports oriented--he spent a lot of time at the sport court on Carnival.