Viking Sun Rhine Getaway review August 2014

mimmy52

The Viking Daily was placed in my room while I was at dinner. It showed everything happening for Monday.

VikingDailyAug18_zpsacf0d9af.jpg

But first, breakfast. A few snaps of the breakfast buffet. Every day were meats, cheeses, smoked salmon, cereal, fruit. In the warming pans, scrambled eggs, sausages, grilled tomatoes, potatoes. And sparkling wine if you so wished. There was also a menu if you wanted an omelet or waffle or pancakes.

This is for the warm cereals.

DSC04036_zps3db9f584.jpg

DSC04035_zps5e54e9d2.jpg

DSC04034_zps517cabd3.jpg

DSC04033_zps511314cd.jpg

Although the Daily weather report called for a chance of rain, it never did. By 8:30 everyone had their boarding pass (so the crew knows when you're off the boat) and group number (which guide you'll have on which bus). Most mornings there was a leisurely group that didn't do as much walking, but that wasn't needed today.

From reading cruisecritic, I expected a long bus ride to the Black Forest. Maybe that's why I didn't find it as long. It was interesting driving through the small villages. We stopped in one small village to see the church of St. Peter and to use the WC.

St. Peter with his golden keys.

DSC03478_zps41ca8aa9.jpg

DSC03464_zps9cdc3b00.jpg

DSC03472_zpse8b89d9f.jpg

Across from the church, a cat keeps his eye on us.

DSC03480_zps9097acd5.jpg

A lot of what you see of the Black Forest, you see from the bus, so set yourself to enjoy it that way. Although this strange shrub was making faces at us.

DSC03493_zps3731d4e1.jpg

I think we arrived at the tourist village about 10:15-10:30. There was a cuckoo clock making demonstration and at 11:00 a Black Forest cake making demo. I elected instead to take the hike into the Black Forest.

This is Mike who will lead the hike. All the guides today dressed in what they called traditional Black Forest clothing.

DSC03500_zps135b17f5.jpg

This village must be older than it seems. A claim to fame is that Marie Antoinette stopped here on her way to be married.

DSC03505_zpsa65495e8.jpg

And did someone here admire Disneyworld? Those look like hidden Mickeys.

DSC03506_zpsc1174441.jpg

I think about 15 or 20 of us opted for the hike. The hike begins.

DSC03507_zps81f9e1ad.jpg

This pond really did look black. If it's some kind of algae, I don't want to know.

DSC03508_zpsee241f0c.jpg

There were several of these small bridges.

DSC03509_zps7a4f4ca0.jpg

DSC03514_zps70684683.jpg

I felt as though I really did get to see the Black Forest.

DSC03524_zpsb18a1ec8.jpg

I was told there wasn't a cake making demo after all and that the only tasting consisted of a large slice of cake handed around and everyone took a taste of it. But since I wasn't there, I don't know.

We were leaving at 11:30, but we got to wait until the clock performed its dance. This picture while I waited for 11:30 turned out the best.

DSC03546_zps893398f5.jpg

Here's the guide I had in her traditional garb. She said the hat with the red pompoms signified she was single and looking.

DSC03545_zps57808d5d.jpg

We took a different route back and were at the ship at 12:30. We were welcomed back by the crew.

DSC03557_zpsb7eb3f1e.jpg

Thanks for letting me know, Cupkayke. I read so many reports before I went in anticipation of our trip and wish now I'd told the poster.

MinotLight, I think the Black Forest means different things to different people. I know some in our group were really looking forward to the cuckoo clocks. There was an interesting looking glass shop too, but I didn't have time to check it out. The woman in front of me on the bus back to the ship said she'd spent most of her time looking at glass and wished she had even more time.

Immediately upon our return from the Black Forest at 12:30, our safety drill was announced. That took a quick 15 minutes, then it was time for lunch. There is a buffet containing a number of specialty salads plus lettuces and toppings to make your own. There are also two appetizers to choose from (on the buffet) and today they were antipasti and liver pate. Cruisinskier had all the menus in his report, and I noticed they were always the same as ours, not by which day of the cruise it was but by the port in which we were docked. The there is a choice of four you can order from the servers, one a soup and three more substantial such as a meat dish or pasta. At lunch, there were always two desserts to choose from. Today I had a Black Forest ice cream coupe. I did take some pictures of my food, but the first couple of days it was usually half eaten (or more) before I thought of it. Wine was also available at lunch, or beer, or other beverages.

Three optional tours had been offered: WWII, WWI, or Colmar city tour. I chose none of the above and walked into Breisach on my own. The ship was docked right at the foot of the city.

Be sure to pick up a city map in the reception area before venturing out. I can't remember our program director mentioning them, but she probably did and I forgot. They were always available at a table where you could help yourself. There were usually other items of interest there too.

I didn't have a map and wanted to visit the cathedral. No problem. St. Stephanmunster dominates the city. All you have to do keep it ahead of you as you're walking. It is not difficult to keep it in sight.

DSC03567_zps0dcfe705.jpg

Looking back the way I'd come.

DSC03571_zps73de7bda.jpg

The Hagenbachturm

DSC03579_zpse6f48b5b.jpg

Still going up.

DSC03583_zps5d07fcdc.jpg

The town had a lot of cute shops. I could have spent a long time there. Also a lot of places to stop for a drink or ice cream or a snack and sit outside in the warm sun.

DSC03657_zpsad9ee005.jpg

DSC03660_zps6f1dae48.jpg

Back on the ship, at 6:30 there was a welcome from Captain Thoralf Rossler and Hotel Manager Uta Ricket. Free champagne. In case you're wondering what I look like, here is my favorite picture of me taken on the trip, despite the weird reflection in my glasses.

DSC03671_zps485447ef.jpg

We were given some kind of appetizers/amuse bouche (I'm not sure what to call them), presented on a large spoon-type utensil as shown in the photo. Once again I had eaten it before I took a picture. I don't remember what it is. I remember it was delicious.

DSC03669_zps97c32912.jpg

In the evenings, we were presented with an amuse bouche while wine was poured. I did remember to take a picture of my appetizer, potato crusted mascarpone cheese.

DSC03674_zpsa16b597f.jpg

And the vegetarian entrée that evening--zucchini baked with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes.

DSC03675_zpsf91a11fc.jpg

With a little dark and white chocolate mousse for dessert.

DSC03676_zpsa858b8c1.jpg

A couple who sat next to me at dinner turned out to be from St. Louis also, and we don't live all that far from one another.

The three entertainers were delightful. Black Forest music, the drinking song from The Student Prince (we who knew it joined in), then a switch to Edith Piaf, a tap dance, a little audience participation. A lot of fun, but my photos turned out either too dark or too blurred and sometimes both.

I cannot wait for the next day's entries! Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures and information.

It appears that you went alone on the cruise (was it your sister that had to cancel?). I travel alone sometimes too. Did you feel safe venturing off into Breisach on your own? What about the other areas like Lucerne?

MaggieMe, I wish I'd had a taste of the Black Forest Cake, but I think I enjoyed the hike more than I would have the cake.

MinotLight, just don't tell me your sister-in-law lives in the Creve Coeur area or I will think life is way too coincidental.

A couple of things I forgot to mention. We were told that half the passengers were from America and half from Great Britain with a sprinkling of Canadians. And the wifi worked great as long as we were docked and as long as we weren't on the top deck.

Our Viking Daily for August 19.

VikingDailyAug19_zpsccdf9e70.jpg

I woke up during the night because lights outside were so bright they shone through the curtains. A few minutes later, it was totally dark. I got up and pushed aside the curtains and saw a wall. We were going through a lock. Later that day I heard one of the women had stayed up until 4 am because she was so interested in locks.

When I got up in the morning, we were docked in Kehl and this was my view of Strasbourg.

DSC03690_zpsb575de2b.jpg

And not long after

DSC03694_zpsfb6ceadc.jpg

We first had a bus tour through the modern part of the city. I was sitting on the right side of the bus and most of the buildings pointed out were on the left. I did get a photo of the European Parliament, although not a good one.

DSC03713_zps73c489d1.jpg

And Strasbourg has storks! I loved seeing the storks nesting on rooftops and chimneys. The storks were also on the left side of the bus, so no stork photos.

We were dropped off in the section called Petit France.

DSC03748_zpsd17d5cc5.jpg

Two of the towers that used to guard the city

DSC03752_zps24c7540c.jpg

Strasbourg is famous for its half-timbered buildings. Among the oldest are those that used to belong to the tanners.

DSC03766_zps5f2ac622.jpg

We came across a bridge that revolves when a boat passes through on the canal, and it was just moving back into position.

DSC03771_zps9f192a76.jpg

DSC03772_zpsa47fcfdb.jpg

Maybe the change didn't show up well in still photos.

I loved seeing the strange carvings on buildings.

DSC03791_zps705fc00f.jpg

DSC03799_zps295cbc52.jpg