Viking Sun Rhine Getaway review August 2014

mimmy52

DSC05170_zps644b2f1e.jpg

Naturally I stopped in the gift shop before I left. The store had all kinds of chocolate and flavors and sizes and shapes. I bought quite a bit of chocolate. My family devoured it when I returned home, and I wish I'd bought even more. I can get some kinds of Lindt chocolate at home so I bought things I'd never seen for sale here. I didn't buy this.

DSC05186_zps8b5b8f69.jpg

My second mistake in Cologne (the first being not staying there for lunch) was to board that little sightseeing train again because the next stage of the trip took about 45 minutes. There was audio about what we were seeing but the first was in German and when they got to English we'd already passed whatever was being talked about, but with all the traffic, there weren't good views anyway. By the time I got off the train, I didn't have much more time to spend in Cologne.

I did go to the Farina 1709 cologne store and bought some 1709 products.

DSC05190_zps65a53780.jpg

This busy shopping area would have been a fun place in which to spend more time (and to get a snack). I didn't take many photos along this street because raising my arms to snap a shot left my purse a little unprotected and this was a very crowded place.

DSC05193_zps518e2668.jpg

Then somehow it was already time to board the last shuttle (5:30) back to the ship.

Our daily briefing tonight was already about disembarkation procedures. The week has gone by way too quickly. At dinner, the amuse bouce was some kind of chicken thing, so I passed. This was my dining neighbor's:

DSC05199_zpse81be222.jpg

But then they brought this to me!

DSC05200_zps1009af1b.jpg

My appetizer was the three pea salad. We joked that it was a salad with three peas in it. It certainly wasn't what I expected, although it was good.

DSC05201_zps3df1e4ae.jpg

My entrée was pan-fried salmon-trout "Mullerin Art" although I don't know what Mullerin Art meant. Once again I was eating before I remembered to take a picture.

DSC05205_zpsa479ab39.jpg

I had the cheese plate again for dessert, this time it was Appenzeller and Gorgonzola. I'd told the server that I was going on tonight's optional tour so wouldn't have time for dessert since they always waited until everyone at the table had finished their entrees before they brought dessert. But she nicely brought the cheese plate while we still had our entrees, so I was able to indulge.

We really liked Cologne too, but we had even less time than you did. Hopefully we will get back for a longer visit. Enjoyed seeing the G-rated version of my picture! :)

Food shots are fun, but like you, I rarely remember to take them in time. You've been doing way better than I on this trip.

And yes, the CC site crashed on me while I was posting - I think it was Tuesday night. Was back up and running Wednesday morning.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having trouble with the CC site Tuesday night, jpalbany.

One thing I forgot to point out when I mentioned taking the little sightseeing train in Cologne--if you have any kind of back pain, avoid that bumpy ride. It does not feel good.

I was really looking forward to the optional excursion of Cologne's Beer Culture. We were all on one shuttle for the ride to the old section, but then we were split into two groups. There were maybe 15 in each group. Some were grumbling about not having had time for dessert, so if you decide to take this tour, be sure to tell your server and maybe he or she will take pity and bring your dessert early. That said, the tour was great. It was a chance to not only sample beers but also to see Cologne at night.

Our guide said to call him DeeDee. He told us his actual name, which I can't remember, but said his nephew calls him DeeDee so we could too. Our guide.

DSC05260_zps01fe76f2.jpg

Our tour was to be of four brauhauses. We stopped first at Peters Brauhaus but it was too crowded for us. We moved on to try Dom Kolsch.

DSC05209_zpsc5a5f4ad.jpg

Since the glasses had the beer's logo, I took a picture of each thinking that would remind me just which beer we had tried. The photos were dark, though, but we were given coasters so I know from them which was which. And this was Dom Kolsch. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but these are small glasses.

DSC05211_zps5d668d97.jpg

We had to down our beers pretty quickly, then it was on to the next. It seems there's one brauhaus after another in Cologne.

DSC05214_zpse378602d.jpg

Our third stop.

DSC05231_zps405fac4c.jpg

It was too crowded to sit inside, so we sat outside. The weather was pleasant and we were wearing jackets. Our beers were delivered, and really, this man was not holding his nose against an odor.

DSC05235_zpsf142ba34.jpg

This time we drank Goffel Kolsch.

DSC05239_zps016b9670.jpg

I'm happy. And why not? I'm on my third beer.

DSC05240_zps5fa9c0e4.jpg

DeeDee led us to our final stop.

DSC05248_zps96e1145a.jpg

We got to try Pfaffen Kolsch.

DSC05250_zpsba31b5bc.jpg

Hey! I didn't take a picture of the fourth beer. But I still look happy.

DSC05258_zpsa45d40ec.jpg

And it seemed as if just like that, it was time to end the excursion. We walked to where the shuttle would pick us up. None of us were familiar enough with Cologne to know where we were, but I know I passed that statue today while in the mini-train.

DSC05267_zps559570f8.jpg

We did the beer culture tour in Cologne too. It was really a lot of fun and wonderful to see the Cathedral at night. We also divided into 2 groups, maybe 9 in each group. I would definitely recommend the tour for anyone who likes beer and would like to learn a little bit about Cologne beer drinking.

We did the beer culture tour in Cologne too. It was really a lot of fun and wonderful to see the Cathedral at night. We also divided into 2 groups, maybe 9 in each group. I would definitely recommend the tour for anyone who likes beer and would like to learn a little bit about Cologne beer drinking.

There were even a couple of people in our group who didn't care for beer but wanted to learn about the beer culture and see Cologne again. They left "orphans" for others to drink. Our guide did not drink at every stop since he had to drive home after we got back to the ship.

Such an awesome review. Just want those reading to know that in Cologne some ships dock right in the town center. We were lucky in that regard. Also the marvelous picture of the archeological dig was the Jewish Quarter. Our tour guide made a point of explaining that there are several layers of the Jewish Quarter at that location.

Still enjoying the review Mimmy!! I'm already thinking...."Oh, no...It's almost over".

We're doing a Christmas market cruise so I'm sure our free time will be taken up with the markets. Plus, it's going to be getting dark a lot earlier on us. Great tip about staying in Cologne to eat lunch. If we are not within walking distance I'll take your advice. I guess we'll see.

Looking forward to your continuing review!

Your beer tour looked like lots of fun.

Sad to read about your upcoming disembarkment instructions-I'm not ready for your report to end. I've got 6+ months to go til our trip.

My travel companion friend & I already talked about staying in town for a quick lunch rather than heading back to the boat when possible. We are looking forward to dinners on board as I'm sure by then we will be ready to sit down and relax and we are looking forward to meeting other passengers but we think breakfast & dinner on ship might be enough for us.

That beer tour did look fun... I recognize several of the buildings from my pictures so it was really nice to see what is inside! We were silly and climbed the cathedral tower, rather than tasting beer.

The statue you posted is in "Heumarkt" - the Hay Market Square. I understand not remembering that after slamming 4 glasses of Kolsch, though... ;)

Hi Mimmy. The beer tour looks like it was fun...maybe we should have done that one. Oh well, we did end up at Fruh in the afternoon and at Haxenhaus after dinner so I guess we kinda did our own beer tour ;). We actually docked very close to Haxenhaus so I guess we were lucky as everything in Cologne was walkable.

Really enjoying your review and great to see the differences when this itinerary is done in reverse from ours. Great job and looking forward to more!!!

Jerry

Edited by cruisinskier

Still really enjoying every step of the way! Great info. about the train being bumpy. After the cathedral, what would be best to do in Cologne then if not the little train?

I would have liked to see more of the old section and seen the brauhauses in daylight. Spent more time on the street with so many shops. Had some German food. I would have gone to one of the museums.

Such an awesome review. Just want those reading to know that in Cologne some ships dock right in the town center. We were lucky in that regard. Also the marvelous picture of the archeological dig was the Jewish Quarter. Our tour guide made a point of explaining that there are several layers of the Jewish Quarter at that location.

Glad you're enjoying the review, Got2Cruise. It definitely makes it more convenient if your ship docks in the town center.

Still enjoying the review Mimmy!! I'm already thinking...."Oh, no...It's almost over".

We're doing a Christmas market cruise so I'm sure our free time will be taken up with the markets. Plus, it's going to be getting dark a lot earlier on us. Great tip about staying in Cologne to eat lunch. If we are not within walking distance I'll take your advice. I guess we'll see.

Looking forward to your continuing review!

Thank you, rothbury. I would love to do another cruise, even the same one with Christmas markets, although I hate being cold.

Your beer tour looked like lots of fun.

Sad to read about your upcoming disembarkment instructions-I'm not ready for your report to end. I've got 6+ months to go til our trip.

My travel companion friend & I already talked about staying in town for a quick lunch rather than heading back to the boat when possible. We are looking forward to dinners on board as I'm sure by then we will be ready to sit down and relax and we are looking forward to meeting other passengers but we think breakfast & dinner on ship might be enough for us.

The beer tour was fun. I love the anticipation of trips. For me, that's part of the fun. You definitely have more time in the cities if you don't go back to the ship for lunch.

That beer tour did look fun... I recognize several of the buildings from my pictures so it was really nice to see what is inside! We were silly and climbed the cathedral tower, rather than tasting beer.

The statue you posted is in "Heumarkt" - the Hay Market Square. I understand not remembering that after slamming 4 glasses of Kolsch, though... ;)

Two years ago, I would have climbed the cathedral tower, but things happen. Thanks for letting me know I was in Hay Market Square. :)

Hi Mimmy. The beer tour looks like it was fun...maybe we should have done that one. Oh well, we did end up at Fruh in the afternoon and at Haxenhaus after dinner so I guess we kinda did our own beer tour ;). We actually docked very close to Haxenhaus so I guess we were lucky as everything in Cologne was walkable.

Really enjoying your review and great to see the differences when this itinerary is done in reverse from ours. Great job and looking forward to more!!!

Jerry

Yes, it was fun, Jerry, and you probably would have had fun too even though you did your own beer tour. I did like it when our ship was docked close enough to a city that we could walk rather than taking a shuttle.