Viking Sun Rhine Getaway review August 2014

mimmy52

Mimmy, thanks for a fantastic review! Even though I did the same itinerary (in reverse), I learned a lot from your posts! Your photos were fantastic and you have a great sense of humour! I will never look at Hershey Kisses the same....

Thanks for taking the time to post this review....I know it is very time consuming! But all your fans appreciate it!!! Thanks and happy travels!

Jerry

Thank you, Jerry. I read as many Rhine Getaway reviews as I could before I went, although I only went back a few years. But your review and jpalbany's with added photos were so great it gave me inspiration and the hope that others doing similar trips will know what to look for or what they want to avoid. As AnotherDawn said, knowing what to expect helps in planning.

It seems you are a vegetarian from your latest entries? Did you let them know in advance of arriving on the boat, did you tell them upon arriving, or meal-by-meal? For example, I do eat some meat, but no poultry or fish. I am trying to determine whether or not it makes most sense to say I'm a vegetarian at the beginning or assume that there will likely be something vegetarian or a meat I'll eat.

Thanks! Your journal of events and answers to all of my many questions have been so very helpful!

ashvb, I don't eat any meat, that includes poultry, but I do eat fish so I don't consider myself a vegetarian. I thought I'd be ok since I'd read you have the option of salmon at every dinner. I was fine with every dinner except the farewell dinner when there were only two entree items and I couldn't eat either one. They did come up with a good vegetarian plate, but I was sorry I hadn't said something in advance because I think it made things difficult for them.. It would have helped at some lunches too if I'd wanted more than soup and salad.

If you don't eat poultry or fish and you're particular about other meats, I think I'd tell them beforehand that you're a vegetarian. Included in all the information on Viking's website under the "my trip" tab, I believe they say to let them know dietary restrictions a month in advance.

Well done!:) And to those reading who will be taking itinerary soon. . .yes the Amsterdam Airport is a madhouse, you even have to weigh and tag your own luggage. Another thing is that security is done at the boarding gates so make sure you eat and go to the restroom before getting to the gate, but then you need to figure in the extra time for going through security.

Well done!:) And to those reading who will be taking itinerary soon. . .yes the Amsterdam Airport is a madhouse, you even have to weigh and tag your own luggage. Another thing is that security is done at the boarding gates so make sure you eat and go to the restroom before getting to the gate, but then you need to figure in the extra time for going through security.

Thanks, Got2Cruise. And yes, the Viking rep had said to use the kiosks to print our boarding passes, but when I entered the airport, I couldn't even find the kiosks. I just followed another person who'd been on our shuttle, and I hadn't seen the kiosks because there were so many people surrounding them. I wondered after I printed my boarding pass why boarding time was something like an hour and a half before flight time. I was sitting at the gate amazed that I hadn't had to go through security, then I found out it's done right at the gate.

Mimmy,

We are leaving for the Rhine Getaway on Monday. We have an extension in Lucerne & I was wondering about the Mt Titlis & boat ride you took. Was that all one tour? Did you do it on your own, or was it a Viking optional?

Any help you can give - your review has already been very helpful.

Thank you,

Bette

Interesting. That was not our experience at all when we flew out from AMS in April. Maybe flying business class made the difference, but check-in was quick, they weighed and tagged bags for us, passport control was efficient, and we timed our arrival at the gate so we cleared security and only waited 2-3 minutes to board. Wonder if it's less crowded in April, or if there's another reason for the difference? Whatever it is, your experience sounds much less fun. :(

Interesting. That was not our experience at all when we flew out from AMS in April. Maybe flying business class made the difference, but check-in was quick, they weighed and tagged bags for us, passport control was efficient, and we timed our arrival at the gate so we cleared security and only waited 2-3 minutes to board. Wonder if it's less crowded in April, or if there's another reason for the difference? Whatever it is, your experience sounds much less fun. :(

Are you business class perhaps? We were flying KLM but it seemed everyone else was too

I really enjoyed viewing your photos. It brought back memories of a great trip we took on the Viking Sun from Basel to Amsterdam. We extended an extra day at both cities. In 2016 we'll be doing the Romantic Danube cruise with Viking.

I put our photos into a video.

[YOUTUBE]OZhOGbsyKNM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by gymnast46

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review and photos. Taking this same trip in three weeks.

Also doing the Lucerne pre-cruise and interested in the Mount Titlis Tour. When did you sign up and did Viking add the cost to your on board ship account. Thanks.

Thanks for the great review and photos. Taking this same trip in three weeks.

Also doing the Lucerne pre-cruise and interested in the Mount Titlis Tour. When did you sign up and did Viking add the cost to your on board ship account. Thanks.

We arrived in Lucerne on a Friday, and the Viking rep talked about the Mt. Titlis tour while we were waiting for our rooms. He said 10 people needed to sign up for it in order for it to happen. I was still on the fence about it. I didn't sign up until Saturday evening, and I think at that time he had 12 or 13 people already signed up. More signed up after that, including at least one couple on Sunday morning (the Mt. Titlis tour was on Sunday). It was quite an experience. And yes, the cost went on my shipboard account.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I have read that there are three different types of cable cars to get to the top. One rotates 360 degrees. What kinds are the other two?

The first was a six passenger gondola/cable car where you could sit down. The second was larger and people were packed in and had to stand. The third was the rotating one and you also were packed in and stood in that one, although there might have been one or two places where a person could sit if they needed to. I didn't know if I'd like the rotating one, but it went slowly so it was great.

The first was a six passenger gondola/cable car where you could sit down. The second was larger and people were packed in and had to stand. The third was the rotating one and you also were packed in and stood in that one, although there might have been one or two places where a person could sit if they needed to. I didn't know if I'd like the rotating one, but it went slowly so it was great.

If it's like the system on Mt. Pilatus, this isn't a choice: the three are a series that progressively take you up to the top.

Thank you so much for your review. We're just beginning to narrow down our choices for a river cruise, and we're leaning towards this very one for 2016. Your photos and narrative have certainly been helpful! And, knowing you're from STL adds a level of credence :D Love Mid-Westerners! (I'm originally from Southern IL) ;)

• 7 months later...

I would like to thank you for your comprehensive and informative review. My Wife and I just completed the same tour on the Viking Sun, and having read your day-by-day review gave us quite an advantage as to what to expect, and how to plan what we wanted to see while on our own trip. I can easily say that our cruise would have been much less without the information you provided in the review.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work in posting every day.

It makes me happy to know that people are still reading my review. Thanks for letting me know it helped you.

I'll add to your happiness, mimmy52. My wife and I are going in the same direction and during the same week. Little things like being able to see what folks are wearing and preparing for it to be a bit colder than we might otherwise expect have been so helpful. After looking at your pictures and reading your review of the Mt. Titlus excursion we decided to do Mt. Rigi on our own instead.

So many helpful ideas.

Thanks so much,

Frank

You did add to my happiness, Francis M. And the way things work, you'll probably have exceptionally hot temps on your trip. By doing Mt. Rigi on your own, I think you'll have more time to spend there.

Hello Mimmy52

Thanks to YOU my husband and I are going to book this river cruise for next April or May. Do you know if the trips up the mountains from Lucerne are available in end of April? this will be deciding issue as to when to book.

Your trip report and pictures are EXCELLENT. thank you so much for posting; I felt like I was there with you!!

Many many thanks

Marycece

Hello Mimmy52

Thanks to YOU my husband and I are going to book this river cruise for next April or May. Do you know if the trips up the mountains from Lucerne are available in end of April? this will be deciding issue as to when to book.

Your trip report and pictures are EXCELLENT. thank you so much for posting; I felt like I was there with you!!

You're welcome! I believe trips up the mountains (the ones near Lucerne are Rigi, Pilatus, and Titlis) are open since they're available for skiing. Whether the cruise company offers their trip in April is what I don't know. You can call the cruise company for the information. Or ask on the Trip Advisor forum for Lucerne. The people there are very helpful.

You will have a wonderful time!