Viking Sun Rhine Getaway review August 2014

mimmy52

If you're on your own, you can take time for a drink or a snack.

DSC04180_zps368bec71.jpg

But if you're with a tour, you hurry to the back of the castle for a different view.

DSC04187_zps29f87887.jpg

Then we were on the bus and headed downhill to the town. Our guide walked us into Market Square telling us about Heidelberg town. What I remember is that General Patton liked it, so the allies didn't bomb it in WWII. But the Germans bombed the bridge which broke the windows in Holy Ghost Church. The windows on one side are modern.

I think this window with the pilot commemorated the bombing.

DSC04237_zpsf90da05c.jpg

And this blue window had significance too. If anyone knows, please tell me.

DSC04238_zps98126d53.jpg

The tavern from "The Student Prince" which was filmed in Heidelberg.

DSC04244_zps64f349d1.jpg

A 400-plus year old building, now a hotel.

DSC04246_zps9c96cebd.jpg

DSC04251_zps2ed4e855.jpg

Entrance to the old bridge

DSC04257_zps0b081e0e.jpg

And the monkey sculpture in front of it. Some people were putting there faces inside the monkeys for a photo op. I think it looks more like a cat.

DSC04258_zps4ccd777c.jpg

Time to go. We straggle back to the bus.

DSC04276_zps14c6ab89.jpg

Across the river. Our guide said duels still take place in this house with the fanciful roofs. A facial scar is still a badge of honor.

DSC04281_zps016d0cd5.jpg

The ship has moved while we were touring Heidelberg. We meet it at Gernsheim, board, and it sets sail for Rudesheim. It's time for our lunch.

I had Fusilli alla Genovese. (We're in Germany--where are all the German foods?)

DSC04298_zpsdc09e5e7.jpg

And Viking Coupe for dessert.

DSC04299_zps45281c65.jpg

My neighbor had Crisp apple beignets. It was a tough choice.

DSC04300_zps0ad79093.jpg

I spent some time on the top deck while we were sailing. I loved seeing the towns and the vineyards.

DSC04304_zpsa859ced9.jpg

DSC04309_zpsfa0eef87.jpg

I had signed up for the wheelhouse tour. I forgot to sign up yesterday, so when I signed up this morning the tours were full. The captain graciously allowed more. We were told that more people than usual wanted the wheelhouse tour. Mine was at 3:15, so I missed the presentation on how to make Rudesheimer Kaffee (coffee, brandy, sugar, whipped cream, and dark chocolate--it sounded great except for the coffee part which I don't like).

Waiting for our turn, you can see the mechanism that lowers (and raises) the wheelhouse.

DSC04321_zps93695ceb.jpg

The captain explains the controls.

DSC04331_zps5c04c0b8.jpg

Our wheelhouse tour ended when the captain had to pay strict attention to his duties because we were coming into Rudesheim.

But--oh no!--they're going to tie us to the dock with string!

DSC04341_zps3434d4a1.jpg

Oh. That's a relief!

DSC04343_zpsf5fba75a.jpg

The Viking Sun's sister ship, the Viking Helvetia, pulled up next to us and tied up to us.

DSC04349_zps47e750bd.jpg

Program Director Ria warned us not to get confused. Since the ships are identical, people sometimes try to enter their stateroom only to discover their key won't work. And it won't work because they're on the wrong ship. I laughed when she said that, but as I was walking down the hall to leave for Rudesheim, I saw just that. A woman was trying to get into what she thought was her stateroom on the Helvetia. The occupants corrected her.

There were a lot of ships docked here. Ria said it was a ten minute walk to Rudesheim, but it seemed longer. I think we were moored farther away than any other ship.

DSC04362_zps69fafe69.jpg

I arrived at the tower that marks the beginning of the town but I had to cross railroad tracks and the barrier was down.

DSC04363_zps914847b3.jpg

I waited and waited and nothing came. I still trying to learn patience. I got tired of waiting and tried continuing on the pathway.

DSC04369_zps66e4e315.jpg

And found an underground passage that put me in the center of town.

DSC04396_zps0700c0ae.jpg

And on the hour, the bells ring and the figures dance around for about five minutes.

DSC04404_zps76a3dc18.jpg

Which meant it was 6:00 and I needed to return to the ship for dinner at the earlier time of 6:30. There was an optional trip into Rudesheim for dinner but I didn't sign up for it. My plan was to have dinner on the ship and return to Rudesheim after.

I forgot to mention what happened at lunch time today. I was sitting with a woman whose husband was sick, and he thought it was from the mushrooms the night before. But rumors were flying about a lot of passengers having stomach distress. Our program director announced that all sick passengers should report to the reception desk.

Then at dinner, the was a big commotion outside with emergency vehicles and health workers walking onto the boat and off the boat wearing protective gear (not hazmat suits like they're doing for Ebola--more like clear plastic raincoats, gloves, and masks across their mouths and noses). This went on through the entire meal.

That didn't keep any of us from eating. I had salad Nicoise for my appetizer, but I've never seen it presented like this.

DSC04410_zps869d6035.jpg

For my entrée, I had the Crisp Sauteed Sea Bass. Before I ordered, I made sure it was filleted. The waiter assured me it was since they didn't want any passengers choking on bones.

DSC04412_zpse2efee73.jpg

My neighbor had the Braised Veal Osso Bucco which I'm sure was good if you're a meat eater.

DSC04413_zps9d46360c.jpg

Someone had a birthday.

DSC04414_zpsc30c9ff2.jpg

I had the cheese plate for dessert. The cheese was so delicious. I'm going to have to shop at Trader Joe's and see if the cheese there can meet the quality I had on the ship.

DSC04418_zps35c9e68b.jpg

My neighbor had the French Tarte Tartin

DSC04416_zpscd91eac7.jpg

Dinners had become so enjoyable that many people were staying later than we had at the start of the trip. I would have gone back into Rudesheim, but by this time the walk seemed too much for my feet. So I stayed at the table, enjoyed the conversation, and watched the comings and goings of emergency vehicles and emergency workers.

It seemed that many of the people who were sick were those who had taken the pre-trip extension to Lucerne. I wondered if the woman who had gotten sick on the bus during the ride from Lucerne to Breisach had started the whole business. It concerned me since I had ridden in the six passenger gondola with her both up and down Mt. Titlis and had also eaten with her in the cafeteria on Mt. Titlis. I decided to carry a plastic bag in my jacket pocket. (It was never needed.)

Those at our table moved from the dining room upstairs to the lounge for the glass blowing demonstration. There were a lot of beautiful objects for sale. One of my dinner companions was asked to help the glass blower.

DSC04430_zps08a32371.jpg

The demonstration was probably more interesting if you've never seen a glass blower. I didn't buy anything because I didn't trust that I'd get it back to the states in one piece.

How wonderful to get to go along with you, Mimmi! I went on the same cruise in the opposite direction on the Viking Helvetia, and loved it. Here is the history of the small door with the knocker at Heidelberg (from Google):

"The heavy iron ring on one of the wooden gates originally was a door knocker by which visitors requested to be let in. Legend has it that anyone who can bite through this ring will receive the castle as a present. The small notch on the ring, so the legend, was made by a witch who tried to get possession of the castle, but only left a tooth mark when she failed to bite through the ring."

How wonderful to get to go along with you, Mimmi! I went on the same cruise in the opposite direction on the Viking Helvetia, and loved it. Here is the history of the small door with the knocker at Heidelberg (from Google):

"The heavy iron ring on one of the wooden gates originally was a door knocker by which visitors requested to be let in. Legend has it that anyone who can bite through this ring will receive the castle as a present. The small notch on the ring, so the legend, was made by a witch who tried to get possession of the castle, but only left a tooth mark when she failed to bite through the ring."

Thank you, Mackenzie1! Now I recall our guide saying that.

If you were on the Helvetia the same week, that means our ships tied up together one night. I'd have to look through my photos to see which night, but I remember one woman trying to get into her room on our ship but her key didn't fit because her room was on the Helvetia.

Hello Mimmy52,

Thank you for posting this amazing review. Your pictures are wonderful. We are also from St. Louis, and will be taking our first river cruise in 2015. A little different itinerary and on an AMA ship, but your pictures are making me very anxious to travel. We had a hard time choosing between Viking and AMA, and in the end it was Viking's full deposit requirement that made the decision for us, looks like Viking would have been a great choice also.

We live south, about 20 minutes from Creve Coeur and 15 minutes from Des Peres, very small world!!!!

Looking forward to the rest of your review. I know how time consuming it can be, so again thank you.

We are also from St. Louis, and will be taking our first river cruise in 2015. A little different itinerary and on an AMA ship, but your pictures are making me very anxious to travel. We had a hard time choosing between Viking and AMA, and in the end it was Viking's full deposit requirement that made the decision for us, looks like Viking would have been a great choice also.

We live south, about 20 minutes from Creve Coeur and 15 minutes from Des Peres, very small world!!!!

Looking forward to the rest of your review. I know how time consuming it can be, so again thank you.

You'll have a great time! Viking's deposit requirement is off-putting. I guess they do enough advertising on PBS that they fill up their ships. I think every episode of Downton Abbey has a Viking commercial.

And yes, small world.

Great review; thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into these posts.

Between you and cruisinskier, I feel like we never left... And that is definitely a good thing!

Thanks, jpalbny. I think yours is the first review I saw that had so many pictures. In fact, I think yours is the review that made me get a different camera. I think photos really help show how beautiful the cruise is.

Our Viking Daily for August 21

VikingDailyAug21_zps29e2e241.jpg

While we were eating breakfast, Program Director Ria announced there would be a meeting in the lounge at 8:45 to talk about the illness on the ship. Captain Rossler addressed us as the one in charge of the ship. Last night there were 8 vehicles in front of the boat. Seven cabins had been inspected, one person in each was sick. One woman was taken to the hospital. Some people were already feeling better and had come to breakfast. The government had inspected the ship and pronounced it clean, so we could sail. It had never occurred to me that we might not be able to.

So thank heavens we could since today is the day I've most looked forward to, cruising past all those castles (just like on the commercials).

It was a beautiful day as we left Rudesheim, although with the breeze on the top deck, everyone needed a jacket and some got blankets.

DSC04431_zpsf15a6ffe.jpg

Our first castle sighting, Ehrenfels. Almost all the castles are high up on hills, so I was glad my camera had a fairly good zoom.

Ehrenfels3_zpsf1570bc7.jpg

This road to it looked somewhat treacherous.

DSC04454_zps78b29916.jpg

Next up, Richenstein.

Reichenstein_zps74c0af8b.jpg

Then Sooneck. Viking makes a map available that lists the castles so you can follow along as you sight them or figure out when you get home which is which.

Sooneck_zpsc76b8f8d.jpg

Stahleck

Stahleck_zps4ec0371a.jpg

Pfalz. It's shaped like a ship and on an island. Maybe more of an island when the river is lower. Not what I think of when I picture a castle, but I guess it made a good toll booth.

Pfalz_zps213efe00.jpg

I liked the quirky look to this.

DSC04550_zpsdb9d9f0b.jpg

Schonburg Castle. I forgot to mention that the program director was telling us about the castles and towns as we passed and entertaining us with stories.

Schonburg_zps50639c58.jpg

There were campers at several places along the river.

DSC04568_zps4586a517.jpg

The Loreley rock.

LoreleyRock_zpsc6478630.jpg

I don't know what I expected, but it's kind of .... just a rock.

Maybe I expected Loreley or a descendent to lure us. Ria played the Loreley music as we passed and read a couple of poems about Loreley.

The sun and our passage wasn't at the best angle for me to get a good photo of Loreley.

Loreley_zps07e4a701.jpg

Back to castles. Katz Castle.

Katz_zps3d20125d.jpg

If you have a Katz Castle, there's bound to be a Maus Castle. This photo gives a better idea of the distance between the ship and the castles.

Maus_zpsf6da40d5.jpg

There were two brothers who lived in a castle. One brother fell in love with a girl, but she fell for and married his brother. The brother went off to war and came back with a bride from a foreign country. The first brother couldn't bear to see his loved one suffer so he moved out and built his own castle. Probably not a true story, except maybe the part about the brothers not getting along.

Sterrenbergetc_zpse395c761.jpg

Marksburg Castle, which we will tour today after lunch.

Marksburg_zpsdf736859.jpg

Forgot to mention, the castles of the warring brothers were Sterrenberg and Liebenstein. And the married brother was the one who brought back a bride, his second bride, because I don't think I was clear.

One more castle. Stolzenfels.

Stolzenfels_zpsa2247c80.jpg

Plus I got my picture taken.

DSC04728_zps2c7f98dd.jpg

I think I was almost the last person down to lunch. That was really a lovely morning.

Our appetizers on the buffet today were BLT soft tortilla pinwheels and Stuffed artichokes with cream cheese and olives. I might have had two of the artichoke things.

DSC04747_zps81ba359b.jpg

The Pumpkin Cream Soup was also delicious.

DSC04750_zpsa7800e67.jpg

One of the entrees offered was a Shrimp Po' Boy sandwich. What? Where are we again?

Most were getting banana splits for dessert. I asked if I could just have ice cream. They accommodated.

DSC04751_zps5f78d829.jpg