Avalon - Paris to Normandy Questions

YoungDubFan

I'm leaning towards booking Avalon's Paris to Normandy cruise and I have a few questions for those of you who have done it. We're going to go in 1 day early and explore Paris on own own. I would appreciate it if you could tell me what is included in Avalon's Paris excursion so that we don't duplicate it on the front end. From what I can tell, Versailles is not included and we will probably do this. Also, if others can give some examples of what they did on their own, I'd also appreciate it. I know that some on this board have mentioned the behind the scenes tour of the Eiffel Tower, and I'll look into that as well.

As always, I appreciate all of the feedback and information that CruiseCritic members share.

Kelly

We are booked for the Avalon Grand France September 26 2015 and hope to do the included walking tour. In 2012 we visited Paris and did the Behind the Eiffel tower tour - well worth it as you avoid the queues and also go above the restaurant on the 2nd level so avoid the crowds. The tour ends on the 2nd level so if you wish you can then purchase a ticket to go to the 3rd level and can spend as much time as you wish. You should book in advance, as places are limited and can sell out. We also went to the Notre Dame early and were one of the first to walk up to the viewing area - thought hubby was going to have a heart attack! He didn't do any more walks to viewing areas sat and waved at the others - I like going up towers etc for better views! A trip to the viewing area 360 degree open air(via lift) at the Montparnasse Tower is worthwhile even though the building is an eyesore on the Paris skyline, easy to get to via the metro. While in Paris we also did 2 Fat tire bike rides - the city tour and the night ride. They were great fun and you cover so much more than you could by walking. The night ride included a cruise(and wine) and the Seine. We had hoped to do their ride to Versailles but this was sold out, so we made our own way there by train and stopping at the local market to pick up some goodies for lunch, which we had in the cover area at the Palace after looking inside and before exploring the gardens. We bought our tickets for the Palace at an outlet on the walk to the markets, but we had to queue to get in(about one & half hours & it was quite warm)so if you can buy beat the queue tickets I would!The time did go fast as we were talking to people around us. The bike rides are safe even when riding on the road as you are in a group and drivers are used to bike riders. We always try and do a bike tour wherever we can - Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, Paris, Venice(Lido), Phuket & Bangkok. Friends have done Cologne, Lucerne, London & Florence. September 2015 cant come quick enough as we loved our Avalon cruise last Christmas/New Year!

The first day you have the opportunity to take a tour of the Eiffel Tower from the meeting hotel and then go to the ship. The last day is your full day in Paris. The tour is was a half day tour. Then in the afternoon you have the choice of optional tour such as the Louvre or Montmartre. Versailles was an optional tour on another day. There also is a Paris at night tour and a Moulin Rouge dinner show which are optional

Got2Cruise - do you remember what was included on the 1/2 day tour of Paris on the last day?

In July 2013 the included tour was a bus tour around Paris pointing out the lay of the land. There were two stops, one a photo opportunity at the Trocadero, the place to get those iconic Eiffel Tower pics. We also went to Tuileries Gardens for a while. Since we were in Paris 3 days pre-cruise, this was all a little anti-climatic to us, but we enjoyed it none the less because we were with some very nice people we met on the cruise. If you prefer, it is very easy to take the RER train, the stop is a couple of blocks from the ship, and go places yourself, Or even splurge on a cab.

I do believe when reading the itineraries for 2015 that they include a walking tour also the first day, so check that out.