Booking a reservation questions-HELP please

So I will start off by apologizing, I have been spending a lot of time over in the NCL board due to our Jade trip to the Med next July but coming back over to Royal.....

You may remember me I did a long Christmas review of the Legend last year (comparison to Disney), on that cruise we bought an open booking certificate that we want to use.

So thinking of going on the Grandeur next March 2016, but not sure if we want to take our daughters so here are my questions....

1) Book a cabin that can hold 4, but just pay for 2 now, can we add them later????

2) Book for all 4 of us now (but a lot held up for the deposit on our visa), can we drop them from the reservation later?

3) So on the Legend we had an inside cabin (8071) right beside the "secret staircase" that led to spa, loved this location.....Grandeur does not look the same, is there a "secrete staircase"?

I have a 24 hr courtesy hold, the price for 4 seems really low, for the 3rd and 4th passenger they are both discounted $409, so they only pay $121 each, I said to my husband we can't afford not to take them, we leave them home and will pay way over that for groceries and entertainment for 2 teenagers for a week :eek: Is there some kind of special going on?

Great to be back!!!

I would book all 4 now. The price is great for the 3/4 guests. There also would be the very real possibility that RCI would charge you the current going rates for the 3/4 guest when you added them later.

The other issue is that RCI has changed many of its booking policies and you may not be able to book a cabin that holds 4 with only 2 in it.

I know it is a lot of deposit to put up front but you will have a lower final payment.

Even though Legend and Grandeur are both Vision class ships they are different. Legend and Splendeur are sisters as are Grandeur and Enchantment (prior to being stretched). I would not think that the secret staircase that exists on the Legend would exist on the Grandeur.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1) Book a cabin that can hold 4, but just pay for 2 now, can we add them later????

2) Book for all 4 of us now (but a lot held up for the deposit on our visa), can we drop them from the reservation later?

Here is some info from an RCI agents experience.

RCI is moving to quads are for quads doubles are for doubles etc. If you have 2 people you will be restricted from booking a quad. Re-categorization is moving to this policy. Some sailings have this restriction lifted.

It is easier to remove people from the reservation then add them closer to sailing so book the quad. 3rd and 4th passengers on a reservation CAN be cancelled with out penalty as long as the reservation is NOT in 100% cancellation penalty (usually 14-1 days to sailing).

If you book a double room and decide later you want to add more passengers there is a risk there will be no more staterooms that can accommodate 4 passengers or the sailing will have an occupancy cap placed on it where triples and quads can no longer be booked.

Hope that helps you in your decision.

Thanks everyone, it helped a lot.....so I was all excited to book my cabin for 4 and when on the phone to book and use my "open booking certificate" lo and behold I can't because it is my travel agents name. The ship automatically does this, I do not want to book with my agent (she is great but retires in December) so I wanted to book this one myself.

How much trouble is it for my agent to switch the open booking back to Royal so I can use it. Does it take long to do?

I'm a little frustrated!

Thanks everyone, it helped a lot.....so I was all excited to book my cabin for 4 and when on the phone to book and use my "open booking certificate" lo and behold I can't because it is my travel agents name. The ship automatically does this, I do not want to book with my agent (she is great but retires in December) so I wanted to book this one myself.

How much trouble is it for my agent to switch the open booking back to Royal so I can use it. Does it take long to do?

I'm a little frustrated!

The agent has to fill out a form and fax it to Royal. Just takes a few days, but the agent has to do it.

The agent has to fill out a form and fax it to Royal. Just takes a few days, but the agent has to do it.

You need to sign permission for the change though first before ta can do anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks this is exactly what happened....I needed to write a letter and so did my agent, we did this today and Royal said it would take a few days to process.

Sorry another question....(being my own travel agent is tricky)

When I was talking to the agent I said I would like to book for 4 people (3rd and 4th are free), if at a later date I want to drop 2 can I?

"Yes, BUT Royal may move us into a cabin for 2 (which I am fine with) BUT this may mean a change in the cost of cabin, it could go up" does this sound right?

I think we really need to make a decision now because with 4 people (3rd/4th free but 1st and 2nd pay full) COMPARED to...booking now with 2 (1st full, 2nd half price). If we go with 4 now and then later change to 2, there would be no savings (deal) at all.

I am so confused :confused:

...When I was talking to the agent I said I would like to book for 4 people (3rd and 4th are free), if at a later date I want to drop 2 can I?

"Yes, BUT Royal may move us into a cabin for 2 (which I am fine with) BUT this may mean a change in the cost of cabin, it could go up" does this sound right?

I think we really need to make a decision now because with 4 people (3rd/4th free but 1st and 2nd pay full) COMPARED to...booking now with 2 (1st full, 2nd half price). If we go with 4 now and then later change to 2, there would be no savings (deal) at all.

I am so confused :confused:

I know they can move you to another stateroom if you cancel the 3/4 guests, but I'm not sure they would change the price that the first two people are paying.

Since you are not paying anything for the 3/4 guests, I would not cancel them. Just have them not show up. You will get a refund of their taxes.

I know they can move you to another stateroom if you cancel the 3/4 guests, but I'm not sure they would change the price that the first two people are paying.

Since you are not paying anything for the 3/4 guests, I would not cancel them. Just have them not show up. You will get a refund of their taxes.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense!