Low-Fat Entrees and Desserts in MDR

Thanks to a cardiac event earlier this year (at the ripe old age of 38), I am on a low-fat diet. Are there any "off the menu" low fat items that anyone here has had in the MDR somewhat recently, which you'd recommend? I don't want an entire cruise of plain grilled chicken and angel food cake. :-) We will be on the Allure in November, but even if there have been other low fat items you've had on other Royal Caribbean ships, I can always ask about those.

I am luck in that I do NOT need to have sugar-free items. I know from talking with tablemates on previous cruises, Royal Caribbean often thought low fat meant sugar free, and obviously the two are quite different. I'm supposed to stay low cholesterol and low sodium, but items low in fat are typically low in cholesterol.

Any specific entree and dessert suggestions for the main dining room would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to a cardiac event earlier this year (at the ripe old age of 38), I am on a low-fat diet. Are there any "off the menu" low fat items that anyone here has had in the MDR somewhat recently, which you'd recommend? I don't want an entire cruise of plain grilled chicken and angel food cake. :-) We will be on the Allure in November, but even if there have been other low fat items you've had on other Royal Caribbean ships, I can always ask about those.

I am luck in that I do NOT need to have sugar-free items. I know from talking with tablemates on previous cruises, Royal Caribbean often thought low fat meant sugar free, and obviously the two are quite different. I'm supposed to stay low cholesterol and low sodium, but items low in fat are typically low in cholesterol.

Any specific entree and dessert suggestions for the main dining room would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!

So sorry to hear about your "event" but glad that you are doing better.

Anything listed on the menu will have a specific symbol next to it regarding if it is low fat, gluten free, sugar free, etc. Explanation of the symbols are on the bottom of the menu.

You can also pre-plan your next nights meal by speaking with your Head Waiter. He can bring you out the menu for the following evening and if there is something on it that is not low fat.........they can prepare it for you the way you want it.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks in advance!

We always enjoy the salmon. Last March on the Allure it was featured nightly. It was very good! I think there was some sort of sauce on it but you can always get it on the side.

I am sorry to hear about your event too. I hope my little tips might help.

I always ask for a baked potato in place of what potato choice is being offered and fruit plates for my starter and dessert. I ask for sauces and dressings to be either taken off, or put on the side. I have had a great chicken salad made for me which wasn't on the menu, and generally found my healthy eating easy to adhere to onboard. There is a healthy options menu offered every night in the MDR which has some delicious items on there-

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always ask for a plate of steamed vegetables for the table. Broccoli, squash, asparagus and green beans to be shared. We don't do it for the low fat portion, we simply enjoy vegetables.:D

I'm stealing this tip from you- we love steamed veggies too. Will definitely be asking for some on our next cruise.

Doctors are killing people with their advice to avoid fat...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-science-of-saturated-fat-a-big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html

And salt...

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/heart-health/pour-salt-new-research-suggests-more-ok-n179941

Meanwhile, they say it's OK to eat angel food cake if you have heart problems?

I will remember the steamed veggie idea - thanks. I'm trying to find stuff OTHER than the standard alternate options available every night (grilled chicken and grilled salmon) that people have had on board, which they've really liked. Maybe there was something special and "off the menu" that a head waiter recommended, which you really enjoyed?