Price Drop after Final Payment Question

oucruiser

Hi everyone! I've always enjoyed reading and never really had a question come up that I wasn't able to find the answer to. Maybe this one has been answered, but I couldn't find it. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

My family of 4 is booked on Navigator for Oct 12. We have a D1. I see the price has gone down a lot. Now I can get 2 D3 rooms right next to each other for the same price. Has anyone ever asked or been able to change from 1 room to 2 in this type of situation (without an additional charge)? I know they won't do onboard credit after final payment and a Jr Suite is still more that what I've already paid. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I've always enjoyed reading and never really had a question come up that I wasn't able to find the answer to. Maybe this one has been answered, but I couldn't find it. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

My family of 4 is booked on Navigator for Oct 12. We have a D1. I see the price has gone down a lot. Now I can get 2 D3 rooms right next to each other for the same price. Has anyone ever asked or been able to change from 1 room to 2 in this type of situation (without an additional charge)? I know they won't do onboard credit after final payment and a Jr Suite is still more that what I've already paid. Thanks!

I think I remember a recent post of someone being able to do this. Definitely worth a call to find out.

If the D3 cabin is a higher cabin category it might be possible. Usually the cruise line will not allow you to down grade to a lower cabin category but I'm not sure that this is the situation you are in. Maybe someone else can chime in and at worst you can always call RCI or your TA to see if it is possible.

Edited by Eng23

Price Protection 101

If the reservation is before final payment date and the price has dropped you can: (Final payment date is not always when you pay final payment check your RCI guest invoices for your exact final payment date)

1. Have an onboard credit issued in the difference of the price drop. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get 100.00 obc)

2. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

3. Refund! You can request the reservations price code be updated to current pricing and the difference refunded. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get that updated and 100.00 will be refunded)

If the reservation is PAST final payment you can ONLY

1. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

This is one that a lot of people get frustrated with. Granted people can post they have gotten around this policy but it's not easy.

This is general information and for more specific information you can contact RCI customer service for more info.

It's not worth just a call, it's worth 2 or 3 (if you are not booked through a TA). Sometimes the phone reps will call a supervisor who will allow something out of the ordinary, such as what you describe (a downgrade to two cabins). If you get a no the first try, you might get a yes on a second try. But generally, no, you cannot do what you are asking.

It's also worth it to subscribe to one of the cruise price alert services. That JS may just come down to the right price where you can upgrade for free or pay a very small amount to upgrade. I hear I'm not allowed to name the service I use, but there are a lot of "fish" in the sea.

It's not worth just a call, it's worth 2 or 3 (if you are not booked through a TA). Sometimes the phone reps will call a supervisor who will allow something out of the ordinary, such as what you describe (a downgrade to two cabins). If you get a no the first try, you might get a yes on a second try. But generally, no, you cannot do what you are asking.

It's also worth it to subscribe to one of the cruise price alert services. That JS may just come down to the right price where you can upgrade for free or pay a very small amount to upgrade. I hear I'm not allowed to name the service I use, but there are a lot of "fish" in the sea.

Wouldn't you rather have two D3 cabins than one JS for four people? I would.

The way I see it: you should be able to cancel the 3rd and 4th on your booking as they do not impose penalties on those people until 2 weeks or less before sail date (then you would receive port fees and taxes refund only) and rebook them in their own D3.

They should allow 1 & 2 to move cabins to be next door as the price is the same, although it is a different (lower) category.

You may get someone who doesn't want to do either and says it's for 'new bookings only'.

If you call back you may get someone who says yes this can be done.

Either way, let us know what happens. I think your chances are 50/50.

Edited by marci22

Hi Oucruiser - I read your comment with GREAT interest cuz that is exactly what happened with us. Long story short, after 3 separate and negative phone calls with the company, the 4th salesperson was a gem and went to her Supervisor and arranged the difference of a credit to be put back on my Visa. Trust me, I was pleasant but persistent with everyone of my calls however they've heard this song many times over and 3 times, I was simply told that in order to get the reduced price AFTER full payment had been made, I would have to cancel the entire reservation and rebook......and be penalized 25% of the original price that was paid. This situation also occurred on a different cruise line on our Middle East cruise to Dubai in 2013, after full pmt, the prices dropped drastically so I insisted on a cabin upgrade and was happily obliged. The other thing that helps is to not go thru your travel agent to do the original booking - we made our reservation directly with the cruise line so they had the flexibility to return the difference or make the adjustments.