Celebrity Century being sold elsewhere.

Ending up in Singapore rather than Rome.

• Celebrity Century will complete its scheduled sailings through the March 22, 2015, itinerary.

• Celebrity Century’s April 5, 2015, sailing will change from a 15-night Dubai to Rome sailing to a 14-night Dubai to Singapore sailing.

Edited by MicCanberra

MIAMI September 2, 2014 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSLO: RCL) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its cruise ship Celebrity Century to Exquisite Marine Ltd., a holding company led by Ctrip International Ltd. (NASDAQ: CTRIP). The sale will result in a non-cash loss of approximately $20 million dollars. This loss will be excluded from our adjusted net income in our third quarter results. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will continue to operate Celebrity Century until April 2015.

Since its inaugural sailing, Celebrity Century has created many wonderful memories for hundreds of thousands of guests, and we expect this successful history to continue as she transitions to the Chinese cruise market, said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. The vessel’s sale is an excellent business opportunity for both Royal Caribbean and Ctrip, and will generate strong value for both companies’ shareholders.

Celebrity Century will complete its scheduled sailings through the March 22, 2015, itinerary. The 15-night, Dubai to Rome sailing on April 5, 2015 is being redeployed to a 14-night sailing from Dubai to Singapore. Guests with affected individual bookings and named group bookings on Celebrity Century’s April 5, 2015 sailing from Dubai to Rome have the option to either cancel their booking and receive a full refund or move to an alternative sailing and receive a re-accommodation onboard credit as well as compensation to cover air change fees. Guests with reservations affected by the transition will be proactively contacted by Celebrity Cruises. Guests and Travel Agents with specific questions are welcome to call 1-888-283-7275.

Celebrity Century joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in December 1995, and was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. The 71,545-ton ship carries 1,814 guests (double occupancy) and 860 crew.

It was announced some time ago that the century was going to TUI (I think). That fact that it was going hasn't really changed just that it's last sailing was Dubai to Rome and is now Dubai to Singapore. Many people would need to change their plans now.

And they should have fulfilled their obligations and sailed to Rome, then either put on another cruise from Rome back or bought her back empty, but to just say nope changed our mind. Not good enough.

I've missed ports before due to storms etc but this is really off, if you ask me.

And they should have fulfilled their obligations and sailed to Rome, then either put on another cruise from Rome back or bought her back empty, but to just say nope changed our mind. Not good enough.

I've missed ports before due to storms etc but this is really off, if you ask me.

I get your point and do agree but at least in this case (unlike another company) they provide the option to either cancel their booking and receive a full refund or move to an alternative sailing and receive a re-accommodation onboard credit. They are also offering compensation to cover air change fees. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I get your point and do agree but at least in this case (unlike another company) they provide the option to either cancel their booking and receive a full refund or move to an alternative sailing and receive a re-accommodation onboard credit. They are also offering compensation to cover air change fees. :D

But what about the person who has booked [and paid] a few weeks in Europe at the end of the cruise and maybe then a TA to USA.

They now have to get off in Dubai, fill two weeks somehow and fly on to Europe, or something similar.

There are just so many permutations, I can smell litigation in the wind.

Edited by GUT2407

But what about the person who has booked [and paid] a few weeks in Europe at the end of the cruise and maybe then a TA to USA.

They now have to get off in Dubai, fill two weeks somehow and fly on to Europe, or something similar.

No doubt some people will be disappointed and plans disrupted and nothing will make up for that. However, X are offering compensation and travel insurance should cover the rest, if people cannot get refunds for their extra plans this far out and their insurance doesn't cover them for the changes, then they will be very upset indeed.

Capped at $300.

Because so many one way international long-distance flights are ably covered by that cap. :rolleyes:

Although I'm not a fan, it's not uncommon for cruise lines to cancel cruises for various reasons, often commercial. It's far from unique in that respect.

I'd actually say that's one of the better scenarios.

If you already had the time, and was only dealing with that relatively short distance from Dubai to Rome, finding things to do to fill two weeks in Europe is very easy - especially at that excellent time of year!

However, X are offering compensation and travel insurance should cover the rest,

I'm really not sure of that.

Not sure how many policies here are going to cover you for the refunds for cancelling a whole trip because international cruise destination ports have changed.

A few will, but I daresay even if you have it, many won't.

Yeah, I'd been about to book it earlier too.

The cost of airfares, and some other factors put me off. Luckily in this case!

I remember quite a few of us talking about wanting to do it (for me it was the Suez canal) but how it didn't quite fit schedules or pricing or whatever.:D

Capped at $300.

Because so many one way international long-distance flights are ably covered by that cap. :rolleyes:

It is to cover the air change fees or the insurance access, not the whole flight cost. Still it is a big hassle and depending on people's plans wouldn't go far.

I'm really not sure of that.

Not sure how many policies here are going to cover you for the refunds for cancelling a whole trip because international cruise destination ports have changed.

A few will, but I daresay even if you have it, many won't.

Depending on what other plans people were adding to the cruise and if they had paid in full yet for those plans, who those plans were with and also what type of insurance (if any). Lots of variables where one may be fine and another will be out of pocket big time.:(

Depending on what other plans people were adding to the cruise and if they had paid in full yet for those plans, who those plans were with and also what type of insurance (if any). Lots of variables where one may be fine and another will be out of pocket big time.:(

There'll be some out of pocket for a variety of reasons, but in the matter of insurance that was the point, most will not cover you.

It'll be up to the passenger's ingenuity to recover as much as they can... which is usually best served by putting the refund from the cruise towards some other form of travel such as air to make up for the cancellation.

Yes, not great. However, if people are changing their flights, then at least they are covered. :D

Probably not.

If you'd bought a one way in early April from Syd-Dubai, plus one at the end of April to fly from Rome to Sydney, what could you change them to? If you wanted to cancel the trip because it was just for the cruise, changing them to another date wouldn't do you any good by itself. You couldn't change airlines. And you couldn't change routes without incurring costs a lot greater.

So you've really got to just continue with your travel plans, finding something else to fill in the time for your trip.

Probably not.

If you'd bought a one way in early April from Syd-Dubai, plus one at the end of April to fly from Rome to Sydney, what could you change them to? If you wanted to cancel the trip because it was just for the cruise, changing them to another date wouldn't do you any good by itself. You couldn't change airlines. And you couldn't change routes without incurring costs a lot greater.

So you've really got to just continue with your travel plans, finding something else to fill in the time for your trip.

You can change your flights to whatever (and whenever) flight that particular airline allows for a fee which is what is compensated for. definitely a hassle and certainly not ideal but it is compensating people for those fees which are generally between $150-$300.