Super Bowl question

tel2

My DH signed off on our cruise plans months ago, and just now realized that we will be leaving out of New Orleans on the day of the Super Bowl. He is obsessing about whether there will be adequate viewing and seating arrangements on the dawn. I assume it will not be broadcast in staterooms. Anyone know what ncl has done in prior years?

Terry

My DH signed off on our cruise plans months ago, and just now realized that we will be leaving out of New Orleans on the day of the Super Bowl. He is obsessing about whether there will be adequate viewing and seating arrangements on the dawn. I assume it will not be broadcast in staterooms. Anyone know what ncl has done in prior years?

Terry

I was on The Gem when the Packers played the Steelers. There sets going all over the ship with plenty of food in each location. That year the game was being broadcast on ESPN which is a channel available in your cabin, which where I watched the game. Who has the broadcast rights to this game. The ship will purchase it off satellite but might not be available in the cabins.

We were on the Jewel out of New Orleans when the Super Bowl was held there. Party in the city and party on the ship. The game was shown on a big screen outdoors and also in the atrium. I don't know about on TV in the cabins because we didn't check that out.

I don't think your DH will have anything to worry about. I'm sure it will be on in several places on the ship.

I was on The Gem when the Packers played the Steelers. There sets going all over the ship with plenty of food in each location. That year the game was being broadcast on ESPN which is a channel available in your cabin, which where I watched the game. Who has the broadcast rights to this game. The ship will purchase it off satellite but might not be available in the cabins.

I am sure you saw the game. But the super bowl has never been on a cable channel like espn. If it was on espn's channel on the ship, then that was some kind of agreement temporarily.

I assume it will not be broadcast in staterooms. Anyone know what ncl has done in prior years?

I wouldn't rule out the game being televised to staterooms, but it certainly will be in one or more big venues.

I think we've been on ships at least twice for the Super Bowl. One year the ship was showing a raw feed -- there were no commercials. During the commercials the feed often showed replay after replay -- seemed like the TV crew was trying to figure out what had happened in a play so they could tell the audience about it after the commercial. Another year the commercials were in spanish, but the game commentary was in english.

Watching the Super Bowl in a big venue can be fun -- there's lots of cheering and joking around. But getting good seating means getting there early -- and who wants to waste time like that when on a cruise.

Edited by Paul from Maryland

Was on the Gem during the "Blackout Bowl" between the 49ers & Ravens. The game was on in all the bars, cabins and the theater... HUGE SCREEN!

The staff has a "tailgate" spread set up in one of the meeting rooms just outside the theater. They had burgers & dogs, chips & salsa, and other munchies. Bags of popcorn were being tossed in the theater to those that wanted one, as well as drink service.

The asst. CD was also asking football trivia during breaks & time-outs & awarded all sorts of prizes for the correct answer.

I thought they did a really good job. BTW: the game was an ESPN feed, so no commercials...

Edited by azappraiser

Was on the dawn for last years Super Bowl. The game was on everywhere including your cabin. However it was broadcast by espn so when they went to commercials the screen was dark until they came back live. In my opinion I would avoid booking a cruise again during the Super Bowl I felt it was too much of distraction.

I am sure you saw the game. But the super bowl has never been on a cable channel like espn. If it was on espn's channel on the ship, then that was some kind of agreement temporarily.

I was on RCCL FOS last December and watched several games, including the NBC Sunday Night game; Sunday Night Football was being carried on ESPN FC (an English language channel devoted primarily to the other football...I don't believe the channel airs in the States) - the game feed included all of NBC's on screen graphics, but the commercials were for ESPN FC programs.

It's pretty typical for international broadcasters to pick up US feeds of major sporting events. Back in April 1996 I remember sitting in a sports bar off Trafalgar Square at 3am to watch the NCAA tournament final (in which my beloved Syracuse Orangemen lost badly to Kentucky). We were watching the CBS feed, which was picked up by NBC Super Channel (then a UK cable channel, not the fever dream of Kenneth the Page).

Edited by m-dfromjersey

I was on RCCL FOS last December and watched several games, including the NBC Sunday Night game; Sunday Night Football was being carried on ESPN FC (an English language channel devoted primarily to the other football...I don't believe the channel airs in the States) - the game feed included all of NBC's on screen graphics, but the commercials were for ESPN FC programs.

It's pretty typical for international broadcasters to pick up US feeds of major sporting events. Back in April 1996 I remember sitting in a sports bar off Trafalgar Square at 3am to watch the NCAA tournament final (in which my beloved Syracuse Orangemen lost badly to Kentucky). We were watching the CBS feed, which was picked up by NBC Super Channel (then a UK cable channel, not the fever dream of Kenneth the Page).

fair enough