We Did It...We Booked The Getaway

WildcatRock

DW and I vowed we'd never...ever...ever...leave our beloved Jewel class ships for those BIG cruise ships. Yeah, we were wrong. We decided to make the jump, give it a try, and booked an H5 - Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony. And man are we excited!! We also booked our first back-to-back and will hop on the Sk,y the day after we get back on the Getaway, for a 4-day Bahamas cruise. We booked a B1 - Aft Balcony. We've never been on the Sky before and figured what the heck...and we are looking forward to it too!! I need some feedback - how did we do??

Looks like you did good to me. A B2B with the Haven and then an aft balcony. How could you go wrong there?

I've been a little skeptical of how we'd like the mega ships too. We also love the Jewel class ships. I hope you write a review when your cruise is over and let us know how they compared.

Good for you, OP. Even though I too love Jewel class ships, I was really, really surprised about how much I liked Getaway. Personally I would have preferred sailing in the lower class cabin first, but even that way the trip sounds very nice, enjoy! ;)

Wow congratulations! Sounds like it is going to be a great time.

Although I would have booked the Sky cruise first and then got blown away with a suite on the big Getaway. After being pampered all week in a huge ship, you may feel let down in a balcony on Sky. Not saying I would not have a great time, I would just prefer to do them in the opposite order for the weeks to keep getting better. You will be going to the newest and most luxury filled suite to the oldest and smallest cabin and ship.

Please come back and let us know how things go.

But for pricing you cant beat the Sky. You would spend more money staying at a Miami Beach hotel than taking the cruise.

We are jealous!

Edited by david_sobe

We did it in June...finally gave one of the big ships a try..the Getaway. She's beautiful, nicely designed, the usual wonderful NCL crew, but.... For us, she was just too busy, too much activity, slightly overwhelming for how we enjoy cruising. We just did not return feeling relaxed. Glad we tried it, but we're back to the Sun and Jewel class with three of those now booked. Way, way too many unedited and many similar pics of the Getaway are at the following.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

We did it in June...finally gave one of the big ships a try..the Getaway. She's beautiful, nicely designed, the usual wonderful NCL crew, but.... For us, she was just too busy, too much activity, slightly overwhelming for how we enjoy cruising. We just did not return feeling relaxed. Glad we tried it, but we're back to the Sun and Jewel class with three of those now booked. Way, way too many unedited and many similar pics of the Getaway are at the following.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

We're on the Jewel this Nov, and can't wait for the cruise. We're on the Getaway and Sky next Dec, 2015 so we'll have plenty of time to research and get ready. We actually canceled a10-day eastern Caribbean cruise on the Gem out of NY to do the Getaway/Sky cruises, so this was a big decision for us. We're excited and will have a great time - it'll be interesting to see what we think of the larger ships vs the Jewel class ships after the cruise.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Was on the sister ship Breakaway last year. Be prepared for lines and more lines. Make reservations for Everything; restaurants, shows, anything or you will be disappointed. Maybe the Haven has it's own restaurant, but all the other venues require reservations.

Good luck, enjoy.

Was on the sister ship Breakaway last year. Be prepared for lines and more lines. Make reservations for Everything; restaurants, shows, anything or you will be disappointed. Maybe the Haven has it's own restaurant, but all the other venues require reservations.

I still can't fathom what is so different between Breakaway and Getaway but starting from the reviews, Getaway performs a lot better than Breakaway (overall score here on CC is 61% for Breakaway vs 74% for Getaway - that is a big difference).

We had no problems on Getaway what so ever and we only had pre-booked Illusionarium. Yes, there can be some waits in restaurants on peak hours but that is no different than on any other ship we've sailed on - we usually try to avoid eating when everyone else is.

Edited by Demonyte

We absolutely loved the Epic when we sailed her when she first came out in 2010. We knew we were hooked on the big, new ships. But we have sailed the smaller ships in the fleet since then and always missed what they had with the Epic. We booked the Getaway and just couldn't wait. She is a beautiful ship with SO MUCH to do. I did find that after sailing her though, it felt different than when we were on the Epic. It could have just been the timing (I just graduated 1 week prior and moved 2 weeks prior to that), so it was a very stressful and busy time when we went back in May. However, there was just so much to do that it seemed overwhelming at the time. I also didn't like the fact that the shows had to be scheduled in advance. We missed out on most of them because they were "sold out". :( I found myself missing the smaller ships. So...up next, we have the Sun and the Sky booked for November. We'll see how this goes. LOL :p