Bonine vs. Dramimine

sharkaymon

Agree Bonine causes less drowsiness.

I also wear wrist bands. (They have a button that you place over a pressure point - it is explained in the instructions). They help me a lot. They make for funny looking tan lines (they are worn two finger spaces above your wrist) but they are effective!

We went on a PNW repositioning cruise and I had to miss dinner the first night because I was too nauseated. That was after taking Meclizine. I thought my cruising days were over! I even tried the green apples. The next day was Catalina. I went to the grocery store and got a small bottle of ginger powder, like you have in the kitchen. It saved the cruise for me and lot of people around me at dinner that I shared with. I would put some on a spoon and gag it down with a gulp of water. Worked every time.

I have taken Dramamine most of my life for motion/car sickness. I hated taking it because it would knock me out!! To the point that I felt like I completely lost the after I had taken it. I had never heard of Bonine until a few years ago and had never tried it until about three weeks ago, just prior to our Aug. 24 sailing on the Freedom. I cannot say enough good things about it! I took it each night during our cruise and felt great the next day! I even took it earlier one day because of our shore excursion. No drowsiness!! I would HIGHLY recommend Bonine over Dramamine any day!

It's much easier to prevent sea sickness than it is to treat sea sickness once you have it. We always use Bonine, one tablet each night at bedtime (just in case of drowsiness) starting with the pre-cruise hotel. Always wake up the next morning without any side effects and ready to get my float on!

OP, there is no "better" anything! There's just personal preference.

I prefer bonine/or generic meclizine.

But Ginger Root is what has pretty much cured me. I start it a day or two before sailing, take one a.m. and one p.m. and continue until after I return home; take 1/2 meclizine when I board; continue with 1/2 meclizine at night if needed; usually skip it when having back-to-back port days. I drink and don't care to mix alcohol and drugs any more than necessary.

As with personal preference, "your mileage may vary." What works for me may not work for anyone else on the planet. :p

Google "seasick remedies" and you'll get many, many results.

Meclazine.

If you belong to Costco. Go to pharmacy ask pharmacist bottle of 100 for less than $5.00. Just replaced my old bottle never had to use them all before their expiration date. Much better price than bonnie and no prescription needed at Costco.

You don't need a prescription for any of these meds in the USA! Bonine,Dramamine II(non drowsy formula SAME as Bonine) , and Meclazine(generic med found in both Bonine and DramamineII) are all found together on the same shelf next to one another in most pharmacies.

These 3 meds are all exactly the same. IF you are on the ship and feel ill the doc on board will give/sell you the generic Meclazine.

Edited by riffatsea

What I don't love about those meds is that they do not usually work right away...they are supposed to be in your system a while before they start working.

I like Motioneaze for immediate relief of any nausea. It's completely natural. Basically, it's just a mixture of essential oils. You put it behind your ear and it helps a lot. It's safe for children as well, and starts to work in 3-5 minutes. I have weird bouts of nausea all the time and use it a lot. It absorbs in your skin and also does not wash off. Other great things for nausea with no sleepy side effects are ginger pills and green apples!

You can also get the generic if you ask at the pharmacy counter of Target. I got a bottle of 100 for $4.99. Much cheaper than buying the brand name and works just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't buy the large bottles because I want to be extra-sure that my seasick meds are fresh. I'd buy smaller bottles of Ginger Root if I could find them.

What I don't want is to sail and then find that my drugs aren't working because I've had them for 3 or 4 years. So I end up tossing them fairly often.

I also give away Ginger Root to people I meet on the ships who may be having issues with motion.

Ginger Root pills are the answer ( as proven by Mythbusters). My son swears by them and he has never been sick since he started using them. Great for car and air sickness too. Another good thing is they are very cheap and no side effects at all. When he took any meds he became a Zombie. Cindy