Bonine vs. Dramimine

sharkaymon

Bonine, definitely. The cruise I took last year, I had looked at the bonine and was looking for a generic. I picked one up and it turned out to be Dramamine. We had an inside room and every day I felt like I had been run over by a truck and the lack of light made me more sleepy. I finally realized that perhaps the Dramamine was making me so tired. I got a few bonine from someone that we had shared an excursion with and it made a world of difference. This past cruise I had the Bonine, but barely used it. I am interested in trying the sea bands some day. For those that have used them, do you like them and where do you get them. Do they work well. I really just get a little queasy and it could possibly be more in my head than anything. Plus I have been dieting so this cruise I plan to eat a little lighter and not drink much, so I am wondering if I would be a good candidate for them.

As a Pharmacist, I can say Dramamine is more effective, but will zonk you out. Meclizine or Bonine is effective and less drowsy, but can still make you sleepy. Ginger root is also very good with minimal side effects.

Ask your pharmacist to order a bottle of 100 Meclizine, it is much less expensive.

If you think you are going to be sick, don't wait take a dose. On our Hawaiian cruise, we took the Meclizine daily.

I took Bonine the day before our cruise and each morning of our cruise. The seas were very rough, port cancelled, and I did fine. My son took Dramamine oncd and hated it and ended up with the seabands.

I also like Gin-Gins by the Ginger People. You can get them at any Rainbow Blossom, or health food store. If I ever have an upset tummy, one of these settles it right away. They also come in different flavors, which I have not tried. The original is spicy....fyi.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Where do I get Ginger pills? Are they tablets or caps? Are they equal in effectiveness to ground ginger mixed in water?

I have never been seasick, but there's a first time for everything. We had a small Cessna 172 and I flew on many trips before suddenly developing air sickness.

I am bringing the wrist bands. I'm wondering if the sea is generally rougher during hurricane season?

We've always taken dramamine the day before, each day during and a couple days after the cruise. My DH has complained of being sleepy sometimes, but I've never really noticed. However, after reading this thread I can't believe I've never thought of taking them before bed instead of in the morning. Genius!

Really? A pharmacist doesn't know that Dramamine II is the same as Bonine which has the same Meclazine in it??

I believe you misread the pharmicist's comments. He was talking about the original Dramamine compared to Bonine, HCL Meclizine (Dramamine II).